86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing plenum

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing plenum

I finally started on my valve gasket replacement.

I have the plenum almost removed, but there is something binding near the fire wall. I can lift it about 2in.

I don't want to force it. I already removed the large hose in the back with coolant.

What else at the back near the firewall need to be removed?
Old 01-16-2016, 05:00 PM

so....playing around with it more...

it looks like it's binding on the PS corner of the plenum near the firewall....if it's a hose it must be pretty big because its holding it down really strong. It's getting too dark...I'll try again in the am.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:19 PM

ugh...nevermind....found the hose....but broke the pvc hose and intake gasket.

I noticed the intake has a layer of carbon....should I try and clean this? The TB and plenum look pretty clean, but the intake passages are bad.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:06 PM

why are you removing the plenum if you are doing the valve cover gasket? or did you mean you are doing the intake gaskets?
Old 01-16-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Chaser -

You can't access the passenger-side valve cover with the plenum on. You "can" remove the driver's side, but it is difficult enough that I just remove the plenum.

abalagtas -

I suspect you were hanging up on the PAIR hose (about 25mm, and short enough that it is hard to wiggle). In the future (including replacing the plenum), consider getting a hot air gun (a hair dryer is enough) to warm up all the rubber before installing/removing it. It will not only make it easier, it reduces the risk of damage.

If you've removed the throttle body, take a good look inside the plenum. Many of us have found a LOT of "gunk," with is mostly supplied by the PCV valve. It's worth removing. Remember that the plenum is aluminum, with machined sealing surfaces, so don't let it sit overnight in something with a really high pH (Purple Power, which is generally a good choice, should not be left on overnight). I used a cheap plastic mortar tub and dish washer detergent to good effect.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:28 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaser Johndoe
why are you removing the plenum if you are doing the valve cover gasket? or did you mean you are doing the intake gaskets?
i suspect the engine is not the 22re, but instead a v6. makes it hard to help when the pertinent information isn't provided, though. i had the same thought - why remove the plenum to change the valve cover gasket?
Old 01-17-2016, 06:39 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
i suspect the engine is not the 22re, but instead a v6. ...
It's in his signature.

But, yes, getting (good) advice is always more difficult if the basic facts are omitted in the question.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
It's in his signature.

But, yes, getting (good) advice is always more difficult if the basic facts are omitted in the question.
and sigs aren't always visible in every viewing format....
Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
Chaser -

You can't access the passenger-side valve cover with the plenum on. You "can" remove the driver's side, but it is difficult enough that I just remove the plenum.

abalagtas -

I suspect you were hanging up on the PAIR hose (about 25mm, and short enough that it is hard to wiggle). In the future (including replacing the plenum), consider getting a hot air gun (a hair dryer is enough) to warm up all the rubber before installing/removing it. It will not only make it easier, it reduces the risk of damage.

If you've removed the throttle body, take a good look inside the plenum. Many of us have found a LOT of "gunk," with is mostly supplied by the PCV valve. It's worth removing. Remember that the plenum is aluminum, with machined sealing surfaces, so don't let it sit overnight in something with a really high pH (Purple Power, which is generally a good choice, should not be left on overnight). I used a cheap plastic mortar tub and dish washer detergent to good effect.
Great idea using heating gun....wish I thought of it before starting.

The plenum and TB look pretty clean, but intake runners have a layer of gunk...should I hit it with TB cleaner and a toothbrush? I wasn't sure if having some of the gunk fall further in to the intake will do more harm than good.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:50 AM

intake

here is a pic of the intake crud.

You can see the TB looks pretty good...the plenum is not as clean as the TB,but doesn't have the same amount of crud as the intake.