Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

removing/deleting A/C system entirely (22r)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removing/deleting A/C system entirely (22r)

Hey guys! Its been awhile! I hope you guys didn't think I died or anything.

In regards to my 86. Havnt updated in awhile, but I have a massive one coming on the build thread. Ended up spinning a bearing so ive been wrenching on a 22r long block out of an 85 I currently have spread out on the shop floor.

I have just about everything ready to go back in and plan to have my old motor out in about a week or so.

Heres my question. My block came out of an 85, im assuming non a/c truck. the timing cover and everything is fine on it and theres no gaps for any brackets etc.

My current 22r still in the truck has a/c, and just like any other a/c truck ive owned the first mod I did was cut the belt off.

Even though it gets well over 100 degrees here in the summer, theres no way I'd consider fixing the a/c and I just want it out.

The compressor is toast (I do have a good spare) but other then that it seems to be in good shape. The only thing im running is the fan, water pump, and alternator, on one single belt, and that's the way I like it

Figured while I have the engine out would be a great way to remove that huge "getsinthewayofeverythingwheneverItrytoworkonmytru ck" thing they call an air conditioner.

So how does this work? Just unbolt everything and remove? Is there vacuum lines I have to re-route? Emission stuff that also needs to be removed or capped?

I don't mind having the switch on the dash still, or the idle up (which I actually like having), what I really want out of the way is all the non sense out from under the hood. All the cannisters, pumps, hoses, etc.

Has anybody done this? All the refridgerant is removed. Does this stuff tap into the cooling system at all?

JUST WANT IT OUT!! So thanks for any advice you could provide. I would like atleast some guidance as to what im doing here so when I drop the new motor in and the darn thing wont run right and theres 1,000 reasons as to what went wrong during the swap I'd like to be somewhat confident my "A/C delete" isnt the issue. Because if I cant find any write-ups i'll probably unbolt everything that unbolts, and anything that looks sort of air conditiony left after that might get cut off with a chain saw.

And just in good spirit, i'll try to remove this thing as damage free as I can, and i'll label everything etc. and whoever wants it, just cover shipping and its yours.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
As I understand it, AC was a dealer installed option.

4 bolts hold the compressor onto the bracket. Then you have 2 bolts that hold the bracket thru the front of the Timing Cover. On the passenger side of the engine, once the compressor is off, there are some 17mm bolts ( I think) that hold the bracket to the block.

On a non AC truck, you have 1 inch triangle metal plate that has 2 bolts that I am fairly sure that has to go in where the ac bracket on the front was and is shorter. You will need to get shorter bolts if I recall right.

I remove the lines at the firewall and leave them connected to the compressor and just cover the ends with tape to keep moist air out.

To get the evaporator out from under the dash, remove glove box and there are some bolt/screws that hold it to the firewall. You may need to loosen the blower assembly some to help free the evaporator.

There is a 1 foot square tube that takes the place of the evaporator so that air can flow from the blower over to the heater core. You could just leave the evaporator in if you wanted to. I tried to find a picture of the box tube that replaces the evaporator but was unable to.

You remove the grill and the condenser comes out easily. It is easy to add or remove the AC system, but pay careful attention to the bolts you put back into the timing cover as I am sure the length varies on with or without AC due to the brackets.

Glad to see you are still alive and kicking.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just unbolt it it is a self contained system.

Just pay attention to the vacuum hoses and the wiring.

Funny first thing I do is make sure the AC works go figure.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
As I understand it, AC was a dealer installed option.

Thought it was odd. Other then 4x4 my truck was pretty much bare bones. Manual everything, no power steering, 5 speed, and it didn't even come with a radio (has a rubber blockoff in the fender in place of the antenna) and a rubber carpet that covered only around the shifter boots.

On a non AC truck, you have 1 inch triangle metal plate that has 2 bolts that I am fairly sure that has to go in where the ac bracket on the front was and is shorter. You will need to get shorter bolts if I recall right

When I pull everything off I'll take a closer look at this. Not sure exactly what you're talking about but maybe i'll find some components when I get a better look around my a/c compressor.

It is easy to add or remove the AC system, but pay careful attention to the bolts you put back into the timing cover as I am sure the length varies on with or without AC due to the brackets.

Glad to see you are still alive and kicking.

Good! the motor that's going in doesn't have any bracketry on/near the timing cover and the cover is bolted on and in place and all the bolts are tight so I see I shouldn't have any issues here.

I'll probably just leave that thingy-ma-jiggy behind the dash. I don't normally tinker under there so out of sight out of mind. And I don't usually use the heater anyway. The only way the heater ever keeps me warm is when it covers me in blanket of leaves and pinecones and doesn't let the wind in
Old 05-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just unbolt it it is a self contained system.

Just pay attention to the vacuum hoses and the wiring.

Funny first thing I do is make sure the AC works go figure.

Thanks again!!
Just what I like to hear! I know im gonna have a tough time figuring out the vacuum lines anyway, so no biggie. Ive set my 86 carb on the 85 block and peeked under my hood and already saw some lines that aren't going to have a place so this should be fun.

Just need to put my vsv and fuel pump back on the long block and i'll pull my truck in the garage within a day or two and start tearing it down.

And of course check back with everybody with more questions!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:52 AM

Red face

Well if you get stuck I am not that far away.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanks Wyoming!!

So here we go!! Starting peeking around, pulling some stuff off etc.

Looks as if there aren't any vacuum lines attached to this thing...is that correct?

Have to lines coming out of the firewall. Disconnected them there and will probably leave the stuff behind the dash along and just cap them off.

One big line goes to the compressor and theres one or two lines that go to the little "baby radiator" behind the bumper along with a little canister thingy. Looks like everything just comes right out.

Then a ground wire and a power wire that have quick disconnect plugs on the pass. side fenderwell. Just unplug them? Maybe cap them off?

And then well, that seems to be it...

Can it really be that easy?....Seems too good to be true lol

I saw where the compressor bracket meets the timing cover and the spacer it has on it. The new block going in there doesn't have one and its nice and tight, so we should be good there.

My a/c unit is already spoken for, but if this deal doesn't work out it will be up for grabs. Cover shipping and its yours. - Compressor seemed alittle tight. Just alittle. Not sure what its supposed to feel like as I had nothing to compare it too. Its been dry since I owned the truck so no idea if that why - and maybe all it needs is a charge to be working again. Looks like it'll come off damage free as well.

Have a spare compressor I got from a friend off of a 4runner. Said it worked when removed. That will also be included
Old 05-18-2014, 11:38 AM

Red face

There would be a few other wires for the high and low pressure switches.

You can just un plug them or what ever as long as they don`t short.

Condenser is in front of the radiator as well as the dryer the round looking thing
Old 05-18-2014, 12:05 PM

i'll keep looking around to make sure I don't leave anything behind. its all coming out pretty easy. This is good. Thanks amillion everybody!
Old 05-18-2014, 04:48 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
What's the advantage to removing it? Just cut the belt. Mine does not have it and it's not any peppier than any other 22RE. I do have all the parts in a box.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
What's the advantage to removing it? Just cut the belt. Mine does not have it and it's not any peppier than any other 22RE. I do have all the parts in a box.
I had cut the belt off when I first got the truck and it was just chilling there ever since, with no intentions to be used again. The block I have going in doesn't have any a/c components on it and I figured instead of swapping everything over I'll just remove it since I'll never use it. I wouldn't mind if it was not so big, but it always seems to be in the way whenever I'm working on my truck. It's just annoying to work around since I don't even use it.

With that being said...I'll leave everything else in place incase I ever decide to put it back in