Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

remanufactured 22re wont start, turns over but wont fire.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remanufactured 22re wont start, turns over but wont fire.

Okay I have searched and searched with no results. Here's the story.

I just installed a remanufactured 22re in my 1994 pick up. I Personally installed everything. The timing chain was set spot on. Everything, from what I can see is installed and hooked up correctly (wiring harness, grounds, all bolts, accesories and the like). Now the motor turns over. But thats all it does. I've stabbed and restabbed the distributor over and over again cause I figured it was a timing issue. But after a dozen attempts I just cant see it being the problem and theres no way i fudged it that many times.

Now a fishy bit. After i Installed everything and tried to start it the first few times my alternator gave out a little puff of smoke and smelled of burning plastic. I assume she is toast and will need replacing. But would that be the cause of the truck not starting? I feel if everything was right it would still start with a charged battery, which mine is brand new and hooked up to a trickle charger to stay charged for the time being.

Any help, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Im at wits end with this and am beyond frustrated right now. Frustrated to the point im either going to sell the truck as is, push it into a busy intersection or throw a rag in the tank and burn it to the ground. Please help!
Old 04-10-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Start with the basics:
Got spark?
Got Fuel pressure?
Got power to your ECU?

BTW, How do you "stab" a distributor?

IF you had a short in your alternator, it could have blown your engine fuse (supplies IG pin) which supplies 12V to ECU.

Also check power supply / fuse block for 12V here and outputs of corresponding Ign switch contacts...
Name:  Power_Fuse_Block_Ig_Switch_zpsofqraodn.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  92.8 KB

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-10-2017 at 03:07 PM.