86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Red vs. Green Coolant? (3VZ)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red vs. Green Coolant? (3VZ)

Since I'm taking the time to have my leaky radiator rebuilt I was wondering what would be the best coolant choice... Up until this point, standard green coolant has been put into it, but I keep reading about this "Toyota Red" coolant that is supposedly better for the engine. I have three questions. How much does it cost ? Where do I get it? & Is it worth it? Any info is appreciated!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
FYI, the 3VZ-E was designed to run on the standard green stuff. In fact so was the 5VZ-FE/any VZ series engine. You can use red, or whatever other color, in any of them actually. It really doesn't matter that much. They all do pretty much the same thing. And that's a FACT.
Originally Posted by MudHippy
...Toyota didn't begin filling their engines with red/pink coolant until 96. Let me quote some FSMs to prove my point.

From the 95 FSM, 3VZ-E cooling system; coolant replacement pages:

FILL ENGINE COOLANT
(a) Slowly fill the system with engine coolant.
Use a good brand of ethylene – glycol base engine
coolant and mix it according to the manufacturer’s
directions.
Using engine coolant which includes more than
50 % ethylene–glycol (but not more than 70 %)
is recommended.
NOTICE:
Do not use an alcohol type engine coolant.
The engine coolant should be mixed with demineralized water or distilled water.

From the 95.5 FSM, 5VZ-FE cooling system; coolant replacement pages:

FILL ENGINE COOLANT
Use a good brand of ethylene - glycol base
engine coolant and mix it according to the
manufacturer's directions.
• Using engine coolant which includes more than 50
% ethylene-glycol (but not more than 70 %) is recommended.
NOTICE:
• Do not use an alcohol type engine coolant.
• The engine coolant should be mixed with demineralized water or distilled water.

From the 96 FSM, 5VZ-FE cooling system; coolant replacement pages:

FILL ENGINE COOLANT
Use of improper coolants may damage engine cooling system.
Use ”TOYOTA Long Life Coolant” or equivalent and mix it with plain water according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Use of the coolant which includes more than 50% (freezing protection down to -35°C (-31 °F)) or
60% (freezing protection down to -50 °C (-58 °F)) of ethylene-glycol is recommended, but not more than 70%

NOTICE:
Do not use an alcohol type engine coolant.
The engine coolant should be mixed with demineralized water or distilled water.

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-06-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
The key is to not let it sit in there for 6 years. Annual changes are a GREAT IDEA. Coolant breaks down & it's lubricating & cooling properties give out.

I personally use Toyota Red. It's PRICEY (@ $20/container) & of course you can only get it from a dealer.
The following users liked this post:
JoeS (10-31-2023)
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My 1988 was factory filled with the green stuff. Have always used it and never have had a problem. I do change it every 2 years or so. Like has been said above, changing it often is more important than what color you use.
JoeS (10-31-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 06:10 PM

What green coolant is ok on the 3vze

Originally Posted by MudHippy
FYI, the 3VZ-E was designed to run on the standard green stuff. In fact so was the 5VZ-FE/any VZ series engine. You can use red, or whatever other color, in any of them actually. It really doesn't matter that much. They all do pretty much the same thing. And that's a FACT.

so what green coolant can I use?
Old 10-31-2023, 06:44 AM

Received 151 Likes on 126 Posts
My 1986 was OEM Green filled when bought new.
Good enough for Toyota, good enough for me.
Since been using it at 50/50 for 37 years and 484K with no issues.
Maybe newer vehicles might need red for some reason.
I do a full flush about every 10, or so years.
I drain and refill the radiator ( a lot comes out) maybe twice between full flushes to refresh the coolant.
It always comes out as green as it went in,

Last edited by JoeS; 10-31-2023 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:50 PM
YT Community Team

Received 845 Likes on 600 Posts
The OAT coolants (which the red and pink typically are, or a hybrid) have a significantly longer life than IAT coolants (which are often green). Iirc, Toyota was every 30k/2 years Bitd when they were using green. The red more thn doubled that. Some work better with different metals, but if changed regularly I doubt one is much better than the other.
But never mix the two. The mixing of different acids isn’t good, and the color of a red/green mix looks like hell
The following 2 users liked this post by Jimkola:
its_ru (12-11-2023), old87yota (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 01:48 PM

all older trucks definitely had green, red works though, just don't mix them
Old 11-02-2023, 04:48 PM

Are all green the same

So I’ve been going to this shop for repairs for a while now , on and off, I got a shop in the neighborhood that does cheap work but you get what you pay for. This shop warranty their parts and work. Any way I got a timing belt and water pump replace on my 94 4Runner at 96k miles and they replaced my pink coolant with green. When I called to ask them what brand coolant they use they said any green would work…? Come to find out they use this brand called Rowe , so I’m wondering if I should just flush it out and replace it with the pink or find a green coolant to just fill with. ZEREX has a green coolant I can use. So what green brands can I use? Idk I’m just a bit confused.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:50 AM

Received 151 Likes on 126 Posts
Been using green Prestone full strength mixed 50/50 in my 86 for 37 years and 484K miles and have had no coolant related issues. I say that is a success.
No blocked or leaking radiators or heater core. No stuck thermostat but did replace it with OEM just be safe. Just a slow leaking water pump I replaced last summer.
To flush and refill on a appropriate schedule probably matters more than what color in a Toyota 22RE engine.

Last edited by JoeS; 11-03-2023 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:58 AM
YT Community Team

Received 845 Likes on 600 Posts
Come to find out they use this brand called Rowe , so I’m wondering if I should just flush it out and replace it with the pink or find a green coolant to just fill with.
The proper answer would probably be if the color and formulation(chemicals) are the same, then mixing with another brand of green is fine. But trying to do the formulation research will be taxing. I'd just figure that any green you use is compatible. Next time when a proper flush is due you can decide then on whether to swap back to pink or red. If you go with red I'd use distilled water to dilute. I use distilled in everything, including the washer bottle.
You may find the overflow bottle needs topping off more frequently with green instead of red or pink. I prefer adding straight coolant to overflow bottles, regardless of the color.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jimkola:
its_ru (11-03-2023), JoeS (11-03-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 07:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Just want to add I too run universal green on all four of my 3VZE motors. A friend of mine started out as a toyota mechanic in the mid 2000s and cut his teeth on these engines. He is in agreement on universal green for them. Old school Prestone!
Old 12-11-2023, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Colors

Originally Posted by NickMiller
Since I'm taking the time to have my leaky radiator rebuilt I was wondering what would be the best coolant choice... Up until this point, standard green coolant has been put into it, but I keep reading about this "Toyota Red" coolant that is supposedly better for the engine. I have three questions. How much does it cost ? Where do I get it? & Is it worth it? Any info is appreciated!
My Cousin worked for Toyota Dealerships for over 30 years and the recommendations are as follows:
Toyota RED WAS USED UP UNTIL 2000…and then they changed over to 50/50 Mixture…
So many different cars use different colors now…
The problem started when Chevrolet started using a Coolant that DETERIORATED THE HEAD GASKETS BECAUSE OF THE SEALANT APPLIED ON THE GASKETS WITH THE COOLANT…
My 1992 Toyota SR5 Extended Cab will continue to use the RED…BY THE WAY… my father in law gave me this truck a year ago and it blew the radiator with the green coolant and a
original Radiator was replaced from Toyota and I had Red replaced …the reason ?? It has protectants in the coolant that works with an aluminum radiators…Thts is the info I got
from Toyota…
Plus it helps with the crossover pipe at the rear of the engine from corrosion….
DO WHAT YOU WANT BECAUSE WE HAVE THAT CHOICE AND IVE MADE MINE…
Hope it helps ..please don’t hate!
Old 12-11-2023, 11:13 AM

Red/pink vs Green

So I flushed my radiator, when I bought the truck it was pink and god knows how long it’s used pink. Took it to get the timing belt and water pump replace and they used that old stuff (Green). Personally I felt the green stuff while ok and probably more period correct, it’s a little outdated. So I switch back to pink. I’m using Preston’s Max Asian vehicles (Toyota Pink/Red OAT) call me an idiot but the marketing for that stuff got me lmao, but anyway it’s been on it for almost a month no problems. Here in SoCal we are at the beginning of winter and hitting lows of about 50 and my cars been cutting on and warming up fine, and keeping its self at good temperatures. No over heating or not warming up problems. The most important thing to take from Green (inorganic) and red/pink(organic) that we can all agree on is NOT MIXING THEM! one more thing I might add is get the premixed stuff.
2ToyGuy (12-13-2023)