Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rebuilt 22RE No Power, Tried Everything!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilt 22RE No Power, Tried Everything!

so i rebuild 22re's, done about 8 of them and never had a headache like this one. 1987 Toyota 4runner, bought it with a blown headgasket that overheated and locked the engine solid, then it sat and rusted all the internals. Truck sat for a year or two, Guy i bought it from knows nothing about it and cant get ahold of the old owner. Starts up, idles great, revs up great, has 175,175,170,175 and thats without time for the rings to seat (2 miles on rebuild, and havent adjusted valves yet (they are close enough). It has no power at all and seems to be running lean, also makes more of a bogging noise when under load.

all plugs are whitish except for cyl#3 and it has a noticable color difference to brown.

.020 over, block decked, and surfaced head and valve job.

Things swapped or replaced
-afm
-tps
-egr
-02 sensor
-distributor (rotor and cap also)
-wire harness
-fuel filter
-air filter
-knock sensor
-plug wires
-spark plugs (NGK Platinum Plug)

NO CEL's

35 PSI to fuel rail,

Already checked cam timing, camshaft dowel is straight up at 0 degrees btc. Setting timing at 5 degrees with jumper and has no power, setting it too 10 degrees helps but doesnt get rid of my problem. unplugging the tps doesnt help either. already cleaned intake and throttle body.

Sprayed entire engine down with starting fluid to check for vacuum leaks and got nothing.

Cat and muffler are hollowed out from previous owner, and there wasnt a filter in the airbox, which makes me believe that the old owner had this issue also, they also spliced into the injector wiring on the old harness....have no clue what for though.

Questions
-Could the ECU be bad??
-the TPS has the part number for a 1989 22RE not a 1987, they have different part numbers, are the TPS's interchangable if they plug into each other or do they emit different signals.
-I may also have a carbed camshaft in this engine, would the duration between the efi and carbed camshaft make this happen, everyone keeps telling me they are the same.
-Or could the fuel injectors all be plugged except for one?
-Ignitor and coil be weak?

Hit me up with your ideas, im about ready to pull my hair out
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cleaning the injectors is not a bad idea then you can eliminate them as an issue and know they will be good for a few years to come as well it sounds like it is running lean if 3 of the plugs are white so I say you need to look into the fuel delivery
Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 PM

ya, even with the timing at 10 degrees it doesnt ping under load which i find unusual, im going to go back to regular plugs that are easier to read tomorrow. I will probably swap out injectors with another set i have laying around and inspect the fuel rail for crap, then recheck the plugs.

also there was no fuel in the truck when i bought it, i put 4 gallons in it before start up and went and topped it off at a gas station when i got it running.

Last edited by ae86custom; 03-22-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 AM

there are 2 different tps's for the 22re. pre and post March 1989.
The door tag on my truck says March 89 so you'd think I'd have the later. Nope Mine must have been built right at the cross over point.
They both look the same on the outside, but if you turn them over you'll notice they're 90deg off where they mount to the throttle shaft.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:28 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
exhaust stopped up...
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Originally Posted by ae86custom

also there was no fuel in the truck when i bought it, i put 4 gallons in it before start up and went and topped it off at a gas station when i got it running.

ooohh... bad... That stuff doesn't not dry and dissipate free and clear...

MOF, the best way to long term store a vehicle or motorcycle is with a full tank of gas.

It leaves a varnish. I would have put lacquer(?) thinner in it and let it sit, or flushed it out b/f I put gas in it.

Drain it and see what comes out. The trash goes to the bottom.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 03-23-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 AM

ill probably try that, how far should the timing advance when i blip the throttle with the jumper in?? it will be at 5 degrees normally, and then when i blip it it goes way off the timing marks......any ideas, it ohmed out fine.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 AM

The FSM doesn't say anything about blipping the throttle??? So I wouldn't do it.

Jumping the wire sets everything back as it would be at sea level. When the jumpers are off, the EFI automatically adjusts for elevation.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 PM

also what about camhaft timing, anybody ever had the wrong chain shipped to them in a rebuild kit?? I think im going to count teeth tonight but my marks are lining up fine. Block and head were not decked more that .020 total......LC engineering says .020 is still streetable but not to go any further.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 PM

***update***

Changed injectors and fuel rail to a set i had lying around.

no change at all

#3 plug is still brown and somewhat wet and all others white and dry as hell.

cut the harness back to check connections on the but connectors for the grounds and all look good and corrosion free......

Im going to try a new ECU and Resistor/regulator for the injectors. Anybody have any other ideas????

I also pulled the coil wire, cranked open the throttle and turned it over for 20 seconds. #3 is the only wet one again.

Last edited by ae86custom; 03-23-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM

ok so my thoughts are these....

You say 1,2 and 4 are dry as hell and three is wet as anything. Possibly this.... number 3 under load is getting all the fuel delivery, either the injectors are clogged or the fuel rail is full of varnish. 1,2 and 4 might be getting enough at idle but once you put the throttle into it they are starving. This would raise the pressure in that cylinder and also give you a lean setup in that cylinder. If the car was sitting for a while then the fuel rail would have been pressurized for a while as well and the fuel broken down to varnish and clogged the rail. Just a thought.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:54 PM

I swapped all injectors and fuel rail last night, cleaned it with carb cleaner and aired out with air compressor. I made a jumper from a spare junk harness and tested #1 injector by manually putting pulsed 12v to the first injector and turning over the engine without spark to it, the spark plug was soaking wet after that so they are not plugged and i have psi. I have four parts left to replace in the engine bay, after that i will have replaced everything.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:04 PM

it was just a thought ... might want to check the coil and wiring as in my 4runner i found water in the connection to the coil and this was bogging it down.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:07 PM

A clogged cat could cause your symptoms.
Just my worthless .02
Old 03-24-2010, 03:11 PM

You said the vehicle has no power and makes a bogging noise when under load. Yet it starts fine, idles fine, and revs fine, right?

Does the vehicle roll easily in neutral? Anything bound up, brake calipers seized, etc.?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by yayfortrees
You said the vehicle has no power and makes a bogging noise when under load. Yet it starts fine, idles fine, and revs fine, right?

Does the vehicle roll easily in neutral? Anything bound up, brake calipers seized, etc.?
i thought the exact same thing at first, the transmission is shot (3 and 4 grind) but i dont think that would cause this issue. It rolls with one hand in neatral and ebrake doesnt work.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by AzStorm
A clogged cat could cause your symptoms.
Just my worthless .02
I also thought this too......I pulled off the exhaust at the end of the cat, which was already hollowed out. It didnt change anything except for my neighbors hate me now.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ae86custom
It didnt change anything except for my neighbors hate me now.
LOL!

What octane gas did you put in when you last filled it? You said the head and block were decked a total of .020". Is that .010" from the head and .010" from the block? Either way that is going to raise the compression. I know you were getting 175 PSI on most cylinders. Even with 87 octane it should still run, it would just detonate a lot.

I don't know. I wish I knew what else to suggest. Didn't you say you only had 4 things that haven't been replaced? I guess before I replaced them, I would drain the gas from the tank and see what it looks like. If it's clean and doesn't have any chunks, put some fresh gas in it, maybe a little higher octane if you were running regular before.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 PM

Its got like .009 off the head and less than that on the block, no pinging that i could feel/hear. I had a 22r/20r hybrid that i forgot to change my fuel to 91 octane and that was an experience.......

draining the tank was my next idea, i have a buddy who has a rolled parts 4runner, im justing going to take his coil/ignitor, injector resistors, ecu, and harness this weekend and swap them out. If that doesnt work i planned on draining/dropping the tank. i just want to wait because it has 10+ gallons of fuel in it and that would be a PITA.

anybody know if there is a ground for the ecu in the cab??

on a side note i had 11.98 volts to my injectors with the key on, does it have to be a solid 12volts for the injectors to fire right?

Last edited by ae86custom; 03-24-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 AM

***Update****
Recently replaced
-Harness to ECU
-ECU
-Injector resistor
-Coil and ignitor
-Fuel pressure regulator

Did a leak down test and i got nothing.

I dropped the tank and checked the screen and the bottom of the tank for crap and got nothing......

Its still running lean on all cylinders except #3.......Could this be an internal head issue.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt 22RE No Power, Tried Everything!