Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rebuilt 22RE cranks but wont start.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilt 22RE cranks but wont start.

Hi all,

I've got an '87 4Runner with a 22RE that I started rebuilding awhile back with my father. We initially planned on just changing the blown head gasket, but after tearing it apart we figured now would be the time to rebuild the whole thing.

We completed the reassembly of the engine last weekend but have encountered some problems. I'm not sure if an o-ring got pinched while installing the fuel rail and injectors but something caused one of them to leak once we tried to fire the truck up. To play it safe we ordered new injectors, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. We reassembled the entire fuel system with the new injectors paying careful attention to the o-rings. We tried to fire it up once more but still it would just crank. Except for this time the 4th injector (closest to the cab) shot multiple streams of fuel from where the injector meets the fuel rail, and the 3rd injector dribbled fuel out from the same spot.

The spark plugs don't smell or even appear to be touched by the fuel. To us it seems as though the fuel rail is under a lot of pressure, but the injectors aren't firing it.

It's not the fuel filter as it was just replaced, the fuse is fine, the EFI is grounded, the spark plugs are making spark, the coil was just replaced, the distributor was at top dead center.

There's some suggestions in other threads similar to mine such as checking for a bad solenoid, EFI relay could be bad, timing off, broken timing chain / chain guards, vacuum leaks. But none of the OP's in the other threads had spraying injectors.

Just looking for some second opinions and advice on how to go about troubleshooting this.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have pinched and that will cut the o-ring when installing the injector which will cause a leak. Toyota says to use gasoline, I use WD-40, just anything to lube the o-ring.

The fuel rail will be under a lot of pressure. Are you sure your timing is set right? Timing chain on correct? Sounds like you have the ground wire on the intake since you already looked into it. It has to bolted down or it wont fire the injectors.

Can you start it with a little starting fluid or a couple of tablespoons of fuel in the intake? If it will start for a few seconds until the fuel runs out, you have your timing correct and it is a lack of fuel which could point to the injectors.

Things I went thru>>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51897320

A Timing Video I like Better. Set Crankshaft pulley to 5 degrees.
Timing Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qEQM...ature=youtu.be

Easy way to install distributor on Youtube.