86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rebuilding my Hydrolocked engine...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding my Hydrolocked engine...

I hydrolocked my engine a while back (August 09) and I finally have the loot to get my 89 4runner "running" again.. Ive decided to go with an engine from Titanengines because I have no experience rebuilding an engine and I dont wanna mess this up. After taking my engine out and removing the oil pan I saw the carnage which was a destroyed connecting rod and some other bracing part that I dont know the name of. Pics below..

Carnage..

heres the picture of the broken "bracing" part thats i dont know the name of..any takers? The brake is at the left rear of the picture..

Now im just waiting for Monday to contact Titan to ask what parts i will need to remove from my engine to be installed on the new one they will send me. I will also be removing and installing as many new parts as financially possible to ensure a worry free powerplant. Any tips and advice welcomed.. Ive also aquired a parts truck (84 4runner 22r) that was a 5speed and had an extra tranny and 5 speed in the bed. It got me thinking of doing a dual transfercase set up basically just for s n giggles because theres no crawling going on down here in Miami but just for the cool factor..lol Maybe at hardrock 4x4..this 4x4 park up by Ocala National Forest. heres some pics of that..

Below a link to my youtube vidz of what I call..the donor funeral..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_sZiGvXPes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFcJ8...eature=related
So obviously I will be doing a SAS later on after I get the truck running and i plan on running 38's. A buddy of mine and I are pondering links but Im still leaning towards leafs for simplicity, durability and cheapness..

Last edited by StangBanger; 05-09-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Added 2 videos
Old 05-09-2010, 06:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude I'm diggin that mini topper... any idea how that was done?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:06 AM

The guy just cut into it then took it to a outdoor shade company to make the cover for him.. I still have it..I can take better pictures for detail later if you'd like.I like it too i just dont liek that the cover is white..
Old 05-09-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that'd be great if you could. I wouldn't have run the canvis or vynl that far up the topper if I were to do that. And def woulda gone with black
Old 05-09-2010, 06:12 PM

ya man def take some detail pics of the topper... im tryin to do a fully custom top for my 85 doved bobbed runner
Old 05-09-2010, 06:57 PM

That poor '84! I would have started rebuilding that, too!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 PM

trust me...I wanted to soo bad..but its either save them both and watch them both rott away..waiting for funds to accumulate or sacrafice the beat up, rusty one to SAS the other and sell other parts to get it running. I needed alot of work. RUST galore and lots of electrical problems..
Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM

Here the some pics of that topper..

Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 PM

And i need some help identifying these trannys..I would like get ready to run dual cases And my tranny should be the one that came stock with the 89 5speed 3.0 4runners. Ill throw pics of that one up later..But for now i need help with these two and their t-cases. The parts truck I bought was a 84 22r 5speed 4runner and It came with another tranny and transfercase in the bed of the runner. Pics below.
The picture below shows both the trannys that came out of the 84 the one with duct tape on the bottom came out of the 84 and the top tranny with the shifter was in the bed.

Closeup of the one removed from the 84 parts runner

Closeup of the extra tranny

The one on the left was removed from the 84 parts runner
extra one is to the right
Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Anyone?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Peter - wow you've made some real progress. What are you planning for the wheels and tires off of that '84?

As far as those t-cases go, the one with the shifter is a top shift case, the duct tape setup looks like a forward shift to me.

For Duals with the 3.0 tranny I think you need: 3.0 Tranny||V6 Adapter Plate||Top Shift#1 Reduction housing||Dual Adapter||Top Shift#2

So I believe you need 2 top shift cases. You can buy a kit from Marlin or Trail-Gear to convert that forward shifter to a top shifter.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Well I think Im going to have to save for a lil bit after the rebuild of the motor,tranny and freshening up of everything else so i might ride ont hem for a lil. Someone told me I just need one top shift case and i can use the rear half of the forward shift case for the rear int he dual setup. Not sure..Im goign to have to have a chat with the people at Marlin. Ive got a long road ahead of me because I want to end up on 38's and dual cases with at least a rear locker. So that means Ive gotta donate a testicle for the gears,lockers, wheels, tires, driveshafts, SAS, lift kit front and rear, kit for the dual cases, and last but not least..gotta throw a marine sound system in that bad boy for tunes..
Old 05-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Aaaaaand its off...to Titian..
Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 AM

Looking for a new clutch so when the motor gets here I can slap it in and get it running ASAP. I was looking in Marlins site and my heads spinning from all the parts I "could" throw in to ensure i dont have to worry about transfering power fromt he engine to the drivetrain. Theres a 1200lb HD clutch, a 1200lb HD compertition clutch, a 2,200 HD cutch, and a 2,100LB HD competition clutch. Im sure these are all good but which one would be best for my application? I will be driving this truck alot and I will be running at least 35's or 38's. Then I also seen how they have the clutch master cyl and the clutch slave cyl for under $100. Any advice on going all out with those? As far as the flywheel goes..Im just going to get mine resurfaced.Teeth are all in great condition.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep in mind the stock clutch is 900 lbs and that any stronger clutch will require more pedal effort. In stop-and-go traffic, or on the trail, it's possible for an extra strong clutch to really tire your leg and get it cramping. Having said that, owners of the Marlin 1200 lb clutch report that it doesn't require too much extra effort and it's very streetable. For Aisin cylinders, also check WabFab and autohausaz. autohausaz has free shipping for orders over $50 and their cylinder prices are quite cheap.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

If you can swing it I'd put a set of headers on it that eliminate the 3.0 crap crossover. They are a huge PIA to install with the engine in the truck. Would be a good time to do it. They are not cheap though. The pros' are a nice boose in power and the a lower risk of cooking the #6 exhaust valve due to the restrictive cross over.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:02 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Peter - let me know if you find a place to resurface that flywheel, I couldn't find anyone up here in Broward to do mine, so I bought a new one.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 AM

Check these guys out..They're right down the block and will be doing mine.
http://www.thepartshouse.com
Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Id go with a new flywheel. just to ensure everything in the transference of power is taken care of... learned from experience... resurfaced a flywheel and my next clutch pack was wore out on the flywheel side... replaced the flywheel when i did my last clutch pack and i havent had a problem with it since... As far as clutches go i'd stay away from the comp series because they cause a ton of chatter... and ive ran the 1200lb its not that bad neither is the 1600. just replace the "wore" out master with a new one and its good to go. but ya I'd suggest a 1600 hd clutch pack. that way u really dont ever have to worry about slippin it to much. but thats just my 2 cents.

Last edited by LIVES4CRAWLIN91; 05-20-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo king
Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM

N thats what Im looking for..thanks LIVE4CRAWLIN91.
Ive learned that Toyota parts are really best..but Should I look for an aftermarket flywheel? Or just a new stocker?

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my Hydrolocked engine...