Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

rebuilding an A340H tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rebuilding an A340H tranny

I am getting ready to dive into a A340H auto tranny rebuild from my 88-4rnr. I've seen master rebuild kits advertised with a wide variety of pricing. But it's not clear if the master rebuild kits include parts for the integral transfer case. Could someone clarify this?

Also, any recommendations for parts sources would be appreciated. I'm on a budget, but I really don't want to get stuck with some chinese crap that's going to have to be replaced in 6 months.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digging up the past, I know, but I'd also like some advice on this project. I know my 94 tranny is on its way out, and at 165000 miles, it's only a metter of time, right?

Andy
Old 04-01-2006, 08:02 PM

I finished rebuilding mine. It was slow going because of all the trips to the FSM, but overall, it wasn't too difficult. The rebuild took me about 4 days of tinkering and cost about $375 including rebuilding the transfer case and replacing the torque converter with a rebuilt unit. Now it's got all new seals, friction plates, filters, and is clean as a whistle inside and out.

If you decide to try to do this, you will need to make some special tools to hold some of the springs down while removing/replacing some of the snap rings. They are very easy to make. Also, a large and very clean table is also necessary to hold all the parts that are going to come out of the tranny. Make damn sure to organize everything as you take it apart. If you don't, you'll get into trouble real fast. (The good news is that most of the parts will only fit one way.)
Old 04-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Internet, this would be a great topic to do a detailed writeup about. There are tons of people on this forum who would like to know how to do it.

So how did the rebuild come out? Does your tranny work well now? Where did you get your rebuild kit?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:43 AM

I don't know how it came out just yet. I'll know this coming weekend (hopefully). The frame is still out from under the truck. I'm installing the exhaust this week and tidying up some loose ends on the frame, and I'll drop the body back on it late this week and try to fire it up. The tranny was part of a complete overhaul of the entire driveline, so there's lots of things that need testing and probably debugging.

The tranny rebuild wasn't terribly tough. You just need a good manual and be sure to follow the steps carefully. I would strongly recommend getting both the FSM and one of the 3rd party service manuals with lots of pictures. (I found an error in the FSM about where the check balls in the valve body go. The 3rd party manual resolved the problem.) I would also read thru the procedure a couple of times before actually starting.

I think there are too many steps to do a write up in the forums. So that's kinda out of the question. Also, I didn't take any pictures, so it's a moot point now.

I got the parts from a local transmission parts supply house. There are typically two rebuild kits needed: one for the tranny and the other for the xfer case. Each kit is about $130. The rebuilt torque converter was about $100.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

I'm glad to hear it's not as hard as grad school I'll probably dive into mine when the semester ends. Did you have any trouble getting the rebuild kits?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:43 AM

Nope, not really. The transfer case kit required some guess work. What happened on it was that I bought the seal kit and then bought the friction disks seperately.

One thing I should mention is that there are several versions of the 340H it seems. The difference is the number of friction plates used inside and the size of some of the o-rings. The rebuild kits will cover all the bases so expect to have more parts than you need.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, I'll try not to panic when everything's back together and I have extra parts . I've noticed that most aftermarket companies try to cover as many variations as possible so they don't have to produce hundreds of kits.

A.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so how did the rebuild go?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
impressive

I know the 4 wheeling crowd is a hands on bunch but I just want to say how impressed I am with you guys rebuilding this unit in the "driveway". So impressed that after lurking around here for a long time this is my first post.

I have been a transmission rebuilder for a loooooooong time. I started working for my dad when the broom was still taller than me. In 15 years I have only had two of these units come across my bench. One I had the entire vehicle and did the r & r and also built the unit. I think with overnight part delivery it was still a 4 day job. I usually have more than one job in progress and when I have to wait for parts I work on another. The second unit was brought to me already removed from the vehicle. Both worked great after installation and I never heard from them again but even for a pro with all the holders and tools at my disposal this is a pretty intimidating unit. I wish I had one a week to do now after seeing what you guys are paying around the country. If I remember correctly the complete job I did was $600 labor and I charged $400 to rebuild the one on the bench. I should say benches, this unit is huge and has a LOT of components, it takes 2 work tables. A factory manual is also a definite must and I like to have an aftermarket trans manual also because a factory manual is usually not updated as well as an aftermarket book. I think the factory 340 manual is about $30 and an aftermarket about $20. If you just have a straightforward rebuild with seal and clutch replacement it is a fairly straightforward job but if you need hard parts make VERY sure that each part you replaced is the same dimensions as the original.

So how did it turn out?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:02 AM

Mine is working great.

Incidently, I made the special tools to rebuild mine. They are simple to make. Typically, some flat bar stock and some threaded rod are all you need. The special tools are only required to hold the springs down while installing the snap rings.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine is going to need rebuilding eventually. Currently im fixing my HG woes at present, but working on my own transmission...that just scares the bejesus out of me...

Does anyone know of any tranny shops in the sarasota/bradenton area that are good with the a340h?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:02 AM

Got any pics of said "special tools".
Old 10-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
mine is going to need rebuilding eventually. Currently im fixing my HG woes at present, but working on my own transmission...that just scares the bejesus out of me...

Does anyone know of any tranny shops in the sarasota/bradenton area that are good with the a340h?
I had the pleasure of a crash course in tranny rebuilding one time in my old chevelle. most likely a little more simpler tranny but the basic principles will hold true.

Rebuilding auto is not that hard if you pay attention to detail, and have good documentation.

Once you open it up and realize what the "magic is inside" you will see it is really not that difficult for a competent mechi-neck. You are tackling a HG much more involved IMO.

My Pops is a master mechanic in cars, big rigs, and big @$$ airplanes. Been turning wrenches now for probably close to 40 yrs. He will work on manual trannys, but refuses to try autos.

I got so good taking apart my tranny that when i fixed all the problems (had it out 4 times) i could by myself get that thing out broke down to the sun gears, back together and installed in about 4hrs, by myself with a floor jack .

Get a good book or two, you will see its not that hard if you have some mechanical sense.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Babypig
Got any pics of said "special tools".
No, I pitched them in the trash after I was done. But as I said, they are easy to make.

The only special tools you need are the ones that compress the return springs on friction plate pistons long enough to remove/install the snap rings that hold the clutch pack assemblies to the output shaft. The tool is just a piece of flat bar stock that is bend like a 'U' with a hole in the center. You use threaded rod and a couple of nuts to pull the 'U' against the the spring plates holding them away from the retaining snap rings. The width of the 'U' needs to match the spring plate.

Some of the clutch packs also have their own spring splates. I used c-clamps to hold these down. Just make sure to squeeze these down evenly. The spring plates are thin and bend rather easily. I used 3 clamps to hold them. Don't squeeze them more than you have to.

Make sure you have a good set of snap ring pliers and some long, hefty screwdrivers. Some of the rings are really big and require some effort to remove.

Also, consider wearing mechanics gloves when working inside the tranny. The machined edges are very sharp.

Last edited by InternetRoadkill; 10-15-2006 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Hi,

sorry to dredge this up from the past, but I enjoy using my way way back machine. I just wanted to check in and see how this rebuild is holding up. I'm seriously considering rebuilding my Tranny/T-case soon.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 12-18-2007, 04:34 PM

Working just fine. The only problem I'm having is with one of the solenoids. I started to replace them all when I had the tranny apart, but I was on a tight budget and replacing all the solenoids would have cost an extra $300 or so.

The solenoid sticks a little when the tranny is cold, but the problem goes away once it's warmed up. A new set of solenoids is on the to-do list. They are easy to change.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:11 PM

Question Question About Local Sources

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
I got the parts from a local transmission parts supply house. There are typically two rebuild kits needed: one for the tranny and the other for the xfer case. Each kit is about $130. The rebuilt torque converter was about $100.
Whereabouts did you get the parts locally? I see that we're in the same area, and I'll bet we've probably even seen your truck around town. There aren't too many red 88's out there in such good condition.

Also, what 3rd party manuals did you use?

What brand of aftermarket kits did you use? I don't want to use Chinese-made crap, either. Been there, done that! I had my dad's mechanic replace the radiator with an aftermarket one six years ago and I still haven't heard the end of it from my better half.

We were looking at just buying a rebuilt tranny through Champion over in Houston, but got sticker shock at the $4,800 price. My husband has decided to do the rebuild himself.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Mindypin, since this thread is rather dated.....(look at the posting dates)...you might try PM'g the gentlemen for a quicker response, if no one replies soon.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the advice. I noticed that it was an old thread, but thought I'd take my chances because it spanned such a long period of time. If I don't get any response I will send an email. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: rebuilding an A340H tranny