86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rebuilding the 22-re

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilding the 22-re

after some small problems with coolant going somewhere i decided to rebuild my engine starting from scratch. we started yesterday morning at 9:00 and the block, head, and flywheel are going to the machine shop tomorrow (wednesday). i was wondering if there is anything else i should take there like the crank, piston rods or whatever?

looking at all the evidence i most likely didnt have a blown headgasket, could have fixed my oil leak by replacing a gasket or two and blah blah blah, but i chose to rebuild the engine instead. i didnt take any pics but i can say that having air tools and a back-hoe for a cherry picker makes life pretty damn easy.

one question i have is, how can i remove my a/c compressor altogether? are there any mods i need to make?

thanks all.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can tak the crank to the machine shop and have it polished unless you are going to get a new one. you can also take the intake manifold to them and have the head and the manifold "port matched" to make a little more power. and when you put it back in an electric fan would help more than you expect. all of those may add about 10-20 hp. which you wont really feel but it will help gas milage. just a few of the race car tips coming out. good luck with it though.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would take the pan, valve cover, timing cover and any other dirty parts and have them hot tanked, way worth it unless you have a vat at your place.
Also you may want to have the machinist check the wrist pins, crank and cam. Many times they have the experience to make a judgement call if you are borderline on needing additional machine work and you may want them to polish the crank regardless.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rebuild 22re

i built my 90 4runner 22re last year after the timing chain broke i found 2 stripped head bolts.once you pull the engine out to clean the broken chain guides might as well rebuild .also found mis matched pistons .i worked in a machine shop building engines for way too many years .its a good time to replace the soft plugs .its a rare thing to find a 22re that needs bored out or any other japanese engine they are usually within specs for a cleanup hone and new rings but i agree in having a shop polish the crank and just check everything.after doing my own i cant stress enough to use genuine toyota parts and seals .i didnt had to pull the engine to change a rear main seal after 1 week.then the 3 new rocker after 5k miles ruined the new lc cam and i swear the rings took forever to seat. 02 sensor 1 year.now i use toyota parts they are more up front but well worth it.my other truck 22re has 375000 miles and still gets 30 mpg all genuine toy parts! good luck with that build
Old 02-03-2009, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take the head in, have it tested, sanded and if you want, rebuilt or at the very least have them put new valve stem seals on!

I wouldn't worry about the cam.

The block, ofcourse.

The crank, definetly, have them grind it then you know exactly the bearings you'll need (size) and you know your starting from scratch ... just doesnt seem worth all the work to put new bearings on worn down galleys (i think thats what they're called).

Also, you'll need to have the machine shop install your new pistons to the connecting rods.. the new wrist pin bushings HAVE to be machined to fit the new wrist pin. if.... you are going to put new pins and bushings in (seems smart to me)

and i too would reccomend having the shop clean all your parts for ya, its worth it

Last edited by drew303; 02-03-2009 at 11:49 PM.