Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rebuild won't start (yup, another one)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry for hijacking your thread, Wyofunrunner.

So, are you gonna pull the input shaft cover and replace the front bearing and seal? I've read enough threads describing when that goes bad it results in excessive movement that can destroy the input shaft seal and cause clutch damage.

How much crud was inside the bellhousing? Mine was horrible.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
It does bother me a little to buy expensive tools that I use "once." (I still have the vacuum pump (and gauges) I needed to replace my A/C compressor. But I have sold a lot of used-once tools on Craigslist.) Your choice.

Don't forget that the transmission may not de-couple from the engine effortlessly (yeah, it should, but that's not how it happens). So you'll have the jack holding the weight of the transmission (you'll think), and then push aft on the jack/transmission. We all hope it will just roll back a few inches, and you can gently lower it. But if you have to rassle it out, the whole thing gets a little more exciting.

So just be careful. HF wouldn't sell as many of these jacks as (I think) they do if people were having trouble with them. It's (mostly) well reviewed, if you put any stock in that.

And don't forget to use real jack-stands. Those cinder blocks are just decorative.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:51 AM

My recently-deceased f-i-l left me some very nice 80's-era HF jack stands and hydraulic jack that I use often. At this point I don't climb underneath without them.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put the front of the truck on jack stands and the rear tires up on 6x6 blocks. Having the extra 6" of height is really nice. My engine and transmission do not like breaking apart or going back together. It's been an epic battle every time requiring tons of effort. By the time it's loose it was pretty easy to move around. Right now I'm trying to figure out what clutch I need. My truck was manufactured 7/1988 and seems to fall between years on Aisins spec chart...
Old 05-24-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wyofunrunner
I put the front of the truck on jack stands and the rear tires up on 6x6 blocks. Having the extra 6" of height is really nice. My engine and transmission do not like breaking apart or going back together. It's been an epic battle every time requiring tons of effort. By the time it's loose it was pretty easy to move around. Right now I'm trying to figure out what clutch I need. My truck was manufactured 7/1988 and seems to fall between years on Aisins spec chart...
What I would do is call 22rePerformance and give them your vin#. They know all about the mid-year part changes and will give you reliable info. Your clutch looks just like an Aisin ckt-024, with it's plastic spring retainers, same as what I've got right now in my '85.

Also, I remember thinking I must be breaking the input shaft when I separated them the first time. Back together was easy once I realized I had to remove the lower half of the motor mounts...
Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyofunrunner
... and the rear tires up on 6x6 blocks. ...
I assume by "blocks" you mean solid wood. Which is fine. Lots of people have been hurt when a "cinder block" just crushed.

If you want to be really high speed, consider these: https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-...set-63250.html Drive up on them, then put the other end on jacks stands. You can practical have a tea party underneath then. The trick is getting up onto them, as they want to slide forward as you drive onto them. I've laid 2x6's on the floor from the ramp to the back of the garage to keep them from sliding, but what works best is ... 4 wheel drive! If the front tires are driven (works with plain-ole front wheel drive too), they'll pull themselves up the ramp.

In theory you could back onto the ramps with a rear-wheel drive, but it's pretty unnerving just to drive forward onto them.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:40 AM

Yeah wood blocks for sure. I just emailed aisin and hopefully they will have the answer for me.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:54 AM

It runs!!

I got the new clutch put in which went easily with help from a buddy. I buttoned everything else up just to check the function of the clutch and I bumped the starter and it immediately started and purred like a kitten. Turns out the aisin clutch disc splines were milled wrong and it didn't line up to the input and was binding on the engine. Lesson learned, always check the disc before installation. Woohoo!!
Old 06-13-2017, 11:06 AM

Congrats​!

Glad you figured out what the issue was, I've never heard of that problem before.