86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rebuild warrantee question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuild warrantee question

I have a 87 runner with a 22re. I pulled the motor, had it rebuilt last summer and replaced it myself...I'm not a real mechanic, just a fool who likes to pretend sometimes. After replacing a handful of electronic components, it has been running sweet. I have about 4,000 miles on it since the build.

It has a small leak in the oil pan gasket, but that is a sorry story and is my fault. so, it does loose a little oil. I checked it yesterday and it was actually a little lower than I expected.

Yesterday, I noticed a puddle of oil below/ behind the exhaust manifold. A qick look around and it appeared to be seeping from between the head and the block. A little baby powder and running it a spell confimed this.

The shop that did the rebuild said that they would only warantee it (3 years, 30,000) if I used their contracted (and insured) parts and gaskets. The gaskets were all safety brand (are these bad?). It has been less than a year and obviously much less than 30,000 miles. The shop said they would only cover what they completed. The do not do R&Rs and do not cover the costs to do them.

But, shoot, I really don't want to have to pull the whole motor again just so they can fix this leak. I'm more inclined to just do the head gasket myself. BUt that sure sucks. I wonder, am I entitled to anything here? I only paid about $1000 for the rebuild...can I just ask for a fricken refund? That amount would cover me having a shop do it so I don't have to waste time on this anymore....I want to do other things to my truck with my time and money!!

I'm calling the shop tomorrow and intend to express dissapointment...but I wonder if anyone on here has some advice as to what I should expect and/or demand?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Why can't they put in a new head gasket with the motor still in the truck? If they won't work with you, you will probably have to replace the head gasket yourself or pay someone to do it.

I wouldn't demand anything from them for starters, I would be extremely polite and tell them what you think is wrong then hopefully you can work something out to get it fixed under warranty, meaning you don't have to come out of pocket at all.
I doubt you'll get a full refund or any refund for that matter, and I wouldn't even bring that up.

Just politely tell them what the problem is and that you would like them to rectify it and see what they say. If you start asking for refunds or demanding things I doubt they will do anything to help you. Just my .02 cents.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM

Yeah, I don't intend to be rude...I like the guy I've worked with. And I think this is probably just a simple mistake, or more likely just a bad gasket.

I guess I expected what you told me...something will work out and worst case I'll waste a day and some money on a new, hopefully better gasket.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 AM

Yeah, so he was really nice, we're gonna try a retourqe first and then they're going to replace the gasket for me if that doesn't work....so I was worried for nothing.

Posting this so hopefully others won't get as worked up as I did.