86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuild questions

we are just now getting things bolted back together on a 22-re rebuild and ive got a few questions.

#1- how does the coolant pipe mount on the exh. side of the engine to connect lower hose to timing chain cover inlet hose?

#2- what is the color of the wire that connects to the starter. the ground wire seems to be good but the wire that connects to the outside rear of the starter is severed and i am having trouble.

#3- is there a replacement hose kit for the 22re? or do i buy bulk and cut to fit?

#4- where is the best place to find bolts if i am missing some?

#5- ive forgotten where all the grounding wires on the intake side of the engine go, i know that if these are incorrect the engine will not run well. so far i have a ground connected to a bolt on the A/C bracket, i have one connected to the brace for the intake plenum. is this correct?

#6- what is the name for the hose that connects from the valve cover to the intake plenum that is flared on the valve cover side a bit. seems to be a custom hose. it is the largest hose that is in the front section of the valve cover. it is held on by a weak hose clamp. mine is cracked and needs repaired.

thanks in advance for answers. we are close to cranking her over but are taking care of small things right now.

Last edited by needayota; 03-14-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by needayota
we are just now getting things bolted back together on a 22-re rebuild and ive got a few questions.

#1- how does the coolant pipe mount on the exh. side of the engine to connect lower hose to timing chain cover inlet hose?
bolts to the side of the block
#2- what is the color of the wire that connects to the starter. the ground wire seems to be good but the wire that connects to the outside rear of the starter is severed and i am having trouble.
don't know. don't have my wiring diagrams next to me. But the wire should have a plug on it which only fits in to the starter
#3- is there a replacement hose kit for the 22re? or do i buy bulk and cut to fit?
not that I know of. If you made one, you'd probably make a lot of money.
#4- where is the best place to find bolts if i am missing some?
an auto parts store or fastener supplier that deals with metric fasteners
#5- ive forgotten where all the grounding wires on the intake side of the engine go, i know that if these are incorrect the engine will not run well. so far i have a ground connected to a bolt on the A/C bracket, i have one connected to the brace for the intake plenum. is this correct?
there should also be a ground from the rear of the head (22r/re, correct?) to the firewall
#6- what is the name for the hose that connects from the valve cover to the intake plenum that is flared on the valve cover side a bit. seems to be a custom hose. it is the largest hose that is in the front section of the valve cover. it is held on by a weak hose clamp. mine is cracked and needs repaired.
I've only ever referred to it as the valve cover fresh air, valve cover breather or "the hose that goes from the intake to the valve cover...no, not the PCV hose, the other one" hose.

thanks in advance for answers. we are close to cranking her over but are taking care of small things right now.
Wish I could be more help... and hopefully I haven't confused you more than you already are.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well my advice is to late , when i redid my 87 (carbed now with a holley with extented vent and spring check valve), i took tons of pics--tons of pics, and it really helped