86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rebuild question. 22re

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuild question. 22re

Ok so on the rods there is a letter, and on the end caps theres a number. Are those the bearings I am suppost to get? and when putting the end cap on the rod, the letter and the number are suppost to be on the same side, so that the bearing oil tab are on opposite sides correct? Also on the 22re engine, the 2 little divit things on the top of the piston are how we tell that thats facing forward right? sorry if it sounds jumbled haha
Old 03-23-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ohyeahcrx
Ok so on the rods there is a letter, and on the end caps theres a number. Are those the bearings I am suppost to get? and when putting the end cap on the rod, the letter and the number are suppost to be on the same side, so that the bearing oil tab are on opposite sides correct? Also on the 22re engine, the 2 little divit things on the top of the piston are how we tell that thats facing forward right? sorry if it sounds jumbled haha
You're rebuilding.......what parts are you reusing and what is new? ie. pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc.

Did you not use plastigage or a micrometer to determine your bearing tolerances when you were disassembling? Forget the numbers and letters.....the tolerances are what you should be going by to know what bearings to use. If you haven't chunked your old bearings or have the micrometer, you can still do this. If you have machined the crank, your tolerances will not be standard and you will be going oversized.

On the bearings, there is a notch on the top and bottom bearings that are to line up with each other. Also, there is an oil port on the bearings that line up with the ports on the rod saddles and end caps. On the end caps, there is a notch protuding on one side (the other side being a flat face) that is to face toward the front of the motor:

On the piston cap, there is a single notch that faces forward:

It's been over a year since I rebuilt my motor, so it's not all fresh in my mind as far as assembly goes. But, hopefully this info and the pics will help you. Also, here's the FSM on engine block:

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...ine/9cylin.pdf