86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Suspension Setup

I am still trying to learn the best set up for the rear end of my 95 4Runner 4x4and am looking for some more advice.

When I first bought the truck, I replaced all the springs with Gabriel shocks.. nothing special or lifted, just OEM replacement style... THEN, I started to address the rear end sag....As I have been asking about coil recommendations, I have failed to ask how the shock length or travel plays a part........I am simply looking to level the truck out and hope I dont have to change anything else and take steps backwards.
Can anyone help out on this....?
As a fresh newbie, I could use part #'s, links, anything you can throw at me...

I guess my fault in this is not asking ENOUGH of the question... Everyone has been really helpful on here but most I get info from are so knowledgable and have been doing it so long, they may not account that I have no idea what I am dealing with.. New to Southern California so I still havent found a mechanice I trust or feel comfortable with.. THe one and only time I tried that, I had a small oil leak....$500 later, I had new valve covers and still have a leak... so I Am hesitant to "drop it off" at a local shop...

Thanks for listening........
Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Since you bought stock length shocks, that will make no difference in the ride height. What I mean is shocks don't provide any lift for a vehicle. They aren't designed to. They're secondary to the springs....which provide ride height...in function and only buffer shocks to the suspension. If you bought shocks that were too long or too short, that might make a difference when you think abou t it.

So, you only need to address the coils springs, if you are sure you're vehicle is actually sagging. You do know the rear fenders are lower than the front and make the vehicle "appear" to sag, right?

In either case, look into aftermarket springs to provide lift if your not satisfied with how it is right now. Old Man Emu is recommended a lot. But, I've also read that Moog makes some decent ones. NAPA sells those. Of course, if you haven't already, run a search on "saggy rear end" or "saggy bottom", rear springs, etc. There are others brands and options I'm not aware of, I'm sure. I 've not had to replace the springs on the rear of my 2nd gen, so I've not totally familiarized myself with them all.

You can replace the springs yourself if you have the tools and are mechanically inclined. You'll, of course, need a large floor jack, stands, and spring compressor which you can get ("rent"...you get all your money back) at O'Reilly....maybe even NAPA. You'd have to ask. It's work, but it's not very complicated.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
2nd gens sag from the factory, some more than others.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 PM

thanks guys..
still draggin my feet on this.... how does someone know what to order? anyone personally dealt with a 95 and was successful leveling the rear with a new set of coils? names or part #'s? When I measured the front wheel well down to the line on the tire, I got 10"...when I measured the back, I got roughly 8"...i know, i know...2" difference.. my problem is .......not knowing how long to get the spring compared to OEM height.. people say these trucks sag from the factory so Im not interested in buying coils just to have NEW ones if it doesnt level the rig..

can anyone help out and get specific with a newb? pics of your rigs?

MOOG CC225?
OME 900?
OME 901?
others?

thank you, thank you......yota4life6
95 SR5 4x4 auto
Old 07-10-2008, 07:41 PM

i have the cheap 79 dollar airlift bag inside coil system, it works perfect and no issues at all, buttttt im not an advid 4wheeler either so take it for what its worth, ive been offroad with it, but no jumping. and i've had about 900 lbs in the back and they still didnt sag
Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 PM

I have all-pro rear springs with doestch tech mv-12 shocks in the back. works fantastic. soft ride but level and has increase load capacity. the truck doesn't buck as much as it used to going to over speed bumps. forest roads are cake. have gotten air before, not much, maybe 6 inches and when i landed, the soft mv-12's just soaked up the back end and planted it down, no wandering or bouncing around. really like it.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
2nd gens sag from the factory, some more than others.
I've heard this, but my '92 didn't doesn't. I did talk with a buddy of mine that past week. He has an '89 xtra cab and he said when his uncle (the orig. owner) bought it from the dealer showroom floor it always sagged in the rear. I was surprised. That's just so softcore of Toyota......(shakes head in pity)...
Old 07-12-2008, 09:29 PM

Hey Alex.....what'd pay for those Doetsch techs? And, where'd you get them?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and no one mentioned to measure from the wheel well to the upper lip of the rim and not to the ground? shame on you all.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 PM

don't measure the wheel well...the back and front are different sizes and heights...what you need to do it either buy spacers or new coils. There are aftermarket coils that level the rear end out. There are coil spacers that also level the rear end out. I bought spacers from 4 Wheel Parts for my old '94. They did alright. I don't recommend spacers though, but what I do recommend is searching. And as for shocks, as said, they don't increase lift at all. You might have to get new ones, you might not, it just depends on what you want to do. If you decide to get new ones to go al around your rig, all sorts of companies make them for .5" to 4" and beyond, just search.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
and no one mentioned to measure from the wheel well to the upper lip of the rim and not to the ground? shame on you all.
Well, atleast I mentioned this....you ol' admonisher, you.

Originally Posted by thook
You do know the rear fenders are lower than the front and make the vehicle "appear" to sag, right?
Originally Posted by 94Runner4x4
don't measure the wheel well...the back and front are different sizes and heights...what you need to do it either buy spacers or new coils. There are aftermarket coils that level the rear end out. There are coil spacers that also level the rear end out. I bought spacers from 4 Wheel Parts for my old '94. They did alright. I don't recommend spacers though, but what I do recommend is searching. And as for shocks, as said, they don't increase lift at all. You might have to get new ones, you might not, it just depends on what you want to do. If you decide to get new ones to go al around your rig, all sorts of companies make them for .5" to 4" and beyond, just search.
One can measure from the wheel to the fender lip. There are actually FSM specificatons for that. I don't remember them offhand, but there are threads covering it.

Besides, he's already gone to NAPA, gotten some springs, started a thread, and pondering the spacers. Completely wonderful suggestions, but all moot now.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really like my OME shocks and springs. You need to buy them as a pair or your ride will suck bad. Search this one.