Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

rear shock valving ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
rear shock valving ?

OK, here's the scenario . . . I just got a set of OME Dakars for the rear and finally have everything for the install, except the shocks. Since the Dakars have 4 main leaves and 2 overload leaves I might try them as is or remove the 2 overloads + 1 main leaf - either way before I can drive it I'll need to weld on new shock mounts (did I mention I'm also doing a Marlin u-bolt flip right away?). Before I weld the shock mounts I need to figure out how much travel I can get and weld the mounts accordingly so the shock length isn't a limiting factor (shock mounts welded low if need be to compensate for shock length needed for the stroke I want).

My question is if anyone can suggest shock valving . . . I've heard I should run softer valved shocks for the Dakars or I'll get a rough ride (duh!) I'd like to run Bilstein 5150's, which come in 2 flavors: 170/60 and 255/70 - obviously the 170/60 is softer, but I'm not sure if that is too soft. I'm also wondering if these are re-valvable, though I suspect they are not (no visible way of re-pressurizing the shock). I am open to suggestions if anyone cares to chime in . . . and no, I don't want to just buy the OME shocks. That would be too easy

Since these have threaded ends on the shock, I'm going to see if the Heim rod ends for Bilstein "small body" shocks (racing app) will fit

I also have the Energy Suspension bumpstops to use with this set-up.

I want to get this done and ditch the LSPV before I mount up the aux tank (though it's already drilled and ready) so I need to get moving on this soon
Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would really suggest ignoring that voice telling you to avoid OME shocks. The springs and shocks are engineered to work together. I though that was marketing bullcrap (ie: you must use brand X muffler if you're going to run brand X tie rod ends) until I tried to run my OME springs and procomp shocks. It was like having a solid metal spacer in between the frame and axle. The OME shocks are light-years ahead. Right then and there I gave up trying to outsmart engineers on the subject of shock valving.

Of course you could try to figure out the valving on the OME, and find a Bilstein to match, but do you have a shock dynometer in your basement?

If you decide to play engineer, buy the absolute softest shock you can get ahold of- those springs are stiff.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
what if you dont have a basement?

idk corax... do some research on how stiff the dakar springs are... with my coils and the worn out soft as heck monroe gas-matic shocks on my runner it rides like a cadillac... so if the springs are stiff, just get softer shocks...

it may not be much help to you, but its what i would do...
Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
I would really suggest ignoring that voice telling you to avoid OME shocks. The springs and shocks are engineered to work together. I though that was marketing bullcrap (ie: you must use brand X muffler if you're going to run brand X tie rod ends) until I tried to run my OME springs and procomp shocks. It was like having a solid metal spacer in between the frame and axle. The OME shocks are light-years ahead. Right then and there I gave up trying to outsmart engineers on the subject of shock valving.

If you decide to play engineer, buy the absolute softest shock you can get ahold of- those springs are stiff.
Yeah, I understand they're designed to work together, but with the u-bolf flip I have a chance to gain a bit of travel by mounting a shock with a longer stroke . . . . and as for ProPoop shocks . . . yeah I wouldn't use those on my niece's Barbie Power Wheel.

FYI, I'm not playing engineer - it's in my job title and in my roommates title (+ he has > 15 years racing experience to help with the tuning). Like I said, just looking for some opinions
Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
idk corax... do some research on how stiff the dakar springs are... with my coils and the worn out soft as heck monroe gas-matic shocks on my runner it rides like a cadillac... so if the springs are stiff, just get softer shocks...
I might just run them with the crappy Rancho's that are currently on there (PO put them on) until I decide what I want to do.