86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear passanger window not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rear passanger window not working

I have a 94 runner 4 door. I have power windows. My drivers side rear window rarely works. It doesn't seem to matter which switch is being used, the one on the rear door or the driver's master switch set. 90% of the time my window does nothing. sometimes I have no trouble opening the window, the window opens a little slowly, but on par with the rest of the windows. I bought the truck with a big fat bit of rock-rash on that door, but it doesn't look like it interferes with the window operation, and there is no grinding noises. Has anyone had this problem? is there a switch that breaks the electrical circuit rending the both of them useless? Is it probably my window motor? any help would be greatly appreciated, as it is now, I've been considering replacing the entire rear door with one from a junkyard. Anything less expensive would be a great alternative. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:33 PM

no ideas?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

could be a short somewhere in the system. my front passenger window acts up now and again, master control or pass door works 90% of the time. so far, it hasnt not gone back up, have to fiddle with it a bit to get it going.

lee
Old 12-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by leebee
could be a short somewhere in the system. my front passenger window acts up now and again, master control or pass door works 90% of the time. so far, it hasnt not gone back up, have to fiddle with it a bit to get it going.

lee
but what part gets the fiddling to make it work usually? I just give the window a shot every now and again, I have only once opened it without being able to close it, I just cant open it most of the time. I cant tell whether its a switch or a stupid short or something. I'll probably switch out my door anyway. A junkyard quoted me $250 for the door with power window and locks and matching paint and interior trim. If that doesn't solve my problem then I don't really know what will be next.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

you can try taking the switches out and apart to clean them up. be forewarned, they are a PITA sometimes to get back together correctly! if you find one switch bad, swap it with one from the back pass door, thats the easy answer.

if that doesnt work, then you will have to test the wires and switches for short. other than cosmetics, swapping the door wont make a difference if there is a short. you could disconnect that switch to prevent it being operated from the rear seat. that leaves the driver master control, which you will have to remember NOT to use!

electrical gremlins are no fun to chase down, try to replicate the problem in a garage/shop so the weather doesnt come into play. once you locate the short, repair it and use some marine grade heat shrink to finish it off.

i think deathcougar or abecerdain (sp, sorry mate) have mentioned using m/g heat shrink in a post regarding extending battery cables. good luck and keep us posted.

lee
Old 12-13-2008, 11:37 AM

did you get anywhere with the window Im having problems with all of mine. and by all I mean ALL
Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 PM

what do you mean 'problems' and 'all'? I thought that the rear was separate from the four other windows. Do your windows ever work? I haven't fixed mine yet, but I'm working on figuring it out. Lets see if we can't get anyone with window fixing experience to relay their war stories. I'll let you know if and when I fix mine!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 PM

I just realized, it seems as if its the hunter green paint we all have that breaks the windows. hrmm.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

hehe, you might be onto something there nyc! my truck is that colour green as well.

lee
Old 12-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Lolz...

Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 AM

yeah I made a thread about my wndow trouble. I always have to search for it cause I think I am the only one who writes on it! lol The subject on it is " please help window rewire" or something like that. but yeah everything works and did work in the past till I took my doors off. put my doors back on hooked all the wires up everything works except for all the windows. the sunroof rear window and all 4 windows!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:35 AM

i had trouble with that window then one day it wouldnt go up or down at all the track was broken on one side then the window slipped off the other side
Old 12-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Aywilkerson
yeah I made a thread about my wndow trouble. I always have to search for it cause I think I am the only one who writes on it! lol The subject on it is " please help window rewire" or something like that. but yeah everything works and did work in the past till I took my doors off. put my doors back on hooked all the wires up everything works except for all the windows. the sunroof rear window and all 4 windows!
thats rough... did you replace all of the fuses and relays for those things? I have one stupid finicky window that works when it wants. You have a holy clusterf!#@ of a problem.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:43 AM

what fuses and what relays I cant seem to get an answer from anyone about where they might be, if it has any at all!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Chopshop........it sounds like the motor is going out, to me. You should test the motor for operation with a direct 12v feed from the battery. Long wires.

Aywilkerson.........here's the FSM guide for body electrics/power windows. The junction block is what you're looking for. Driver's side kickpanel. The circuit breaker is there. The last page shows how to troubleshoot it.

Last edited by thook; 12-15-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ooops.....guess I should add that link.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../7powerwin.pdf
Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 PM

hell yes! Thanks "thook" thats the nost information I have gotten from anyone anywhere! how do I get that manual?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 PM

ok so I looked under the dash and found a box called the door control. Is that what powers the windows? there are no fuses on that box. just what looks like a switch board.
Attached Thumbnails rear passanger window not working-asdf.jpg   rear passanger window not working-asdf1.jpg  
Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by thook
ooops.....guess I should add that link.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../7powerwin.pdf
thanks for the link! I have books and guides and manuals and everything is fairly vague. Thats one of the best and most concise window system guides I've seen.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Aywilkerson
ok so I looked under the dash and found a box called the door control. Is that what powers the windows? there are no fuses on that box. just what looks like a switch board.
im staring at my factory repair manual and it seems as if what you've pulled out there is your door lock control relay. I could be wrong, but I think thats your power locks. The fuse for the power windows is in the fuse panel in the drivers side of the dash. 30A. I know its a little obvious, but mess around with your window lock button a bit, see if that does anything. If you've taken your door panels off, check your drivers door master switch. I'm still working on mine. I'll probably get a new door with window motor anyway, because its cheaper to do than to repair my fat rock rash on that door. I'm just gonna hope that takes care of my problem before I get into any major electrical gremlin hunting.

Quick Reply: rear passanger window not working