Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear LSD worn and not doing its job - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear LSD worn and not doing its job - what to do?

In Australia 4runners must have come stock with LSD's, the data plate says it has a G255, the diff makes little noise but the clutch plates aren't doing there thing, I have no problems in rebuilding it, but my question is would it be worth it? Should I just leave it the way it is and swap it out with a locker when I can afford it? Can the carrier fit into the front diff? Which is just open. I don't have much wheeling experience yet but where I live it's mainly muddy trails and the likes, won't be doing any rock crawling. The front has ADD which I'm reading on hear a lot of people are swapping to manual hubs but i haven't found why yet so if someone could fill me in that would be great.
Open for suggestions/advice so thanks in advance
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rear diff won't fit into the front, they are totally different. If you can get the parts to rebuild it fairly inexpensively I say why not. If you want/need a locker then go that route. I'd vote a detroit locker. It will likely outlive your truck.

Manual hub swap. That will keep your front cv axles from spinning constantly even in 2wd thus lengthening their life along with the front diff. There is no reason to have all that spinning if you aren't in 4wd. I think they just engineered that "option" for people that are too lazy to get out in the snow and actually lock the hubs. Other than that I see no real upside to ADD. I don't mind pulling over in a blizzard for a second to lock my hubs (I did a hub swap) if it means my cv axles won't get destroyed as fast when I'm driving in dry weather or not wheeling.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 PM

Ok I get it now that make sense, so the ADD still gets used you just have to lock the hubs aswell! Might look into that for when I replace my front axles that are clunking a bit at full lock

From what I read Toyota is the only place to get parts for the LSD so I'm thinking that it will cost me nearly as much as a locker to fix so I guess just get a locker.
Will an auto locker fit into an LSD carrier? Just as a cheaper option
Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can fix your LSD pretty easily.
If you take the rear diff out and take the LSD out, you'll see what kind of damage/wear you have.
If it's not too bad, clean everything up and put a big washer behind the spring to increase the clutch holding pressure.
If it's totally cooked and the clutch plates are destroyed, you can swap the LSD from a supra diff into these trucks.
I swapped in a supra LSD into my truck with only a couple wrenches, a bearing puller and a dial indicator.
All the info on setting up diffs can be found at gearinstalls.com
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 AM

Yeah I have been talking to mechanic friends that say to pull it apart and check it out, they said usually it can just be shimmed, they tell me it's easy to do too, so I might have a look into packing the spring out, that definitely sound easy, thanks