86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear end noise

Hi everyone, im new here on yotatech, but i've been watching the posts on here for a while now. i really like the website and so i've decided to join. i know i should do searching first, and i have done plenty of searching before making this thread, because i didnt want to post about something thats already been answered. my truck is a 90' pickup, 3vze auto 4x4 extra cab. i traded for the truck about a month ago, even trade my old 3 series for the toyota and a snowmobile. so i cant really complain. the guy getting rid of it told me i needed a new transfer case, as that was what his "mechanic" told him. it makes a noise, sounds almost like really loud tire roar, and you only hear it when your foot is on the gas. the pitch is speed related, and most noticable around 60kmh (35, 40 mph) when giving light gas. it doesnt do it unless its moving, which is how i know it isnt an engine problem, and because the 4wd works fine i have a hard time believing transfer case... i had it at school the other day and we had it on the lift, where we determined with a stethoscope that the noise is probably coming from bearings in the rear end, and not the transfer case, hanger bearing, or u joints. fluid level is good in the diff, but it does have a small leak. i apologize for the long post, but i am trying to tell my method of deduction so far, so that anyone with any ideas knows what i have already checked. the wheel bearings also are new, and i cannot feel any play in them. i can get a whole rear axle for $150, but i wanted to see if anyone has experienced these problems, and if so what i might be looking at. any input is appriciated, and im not in a rush because it doesnt affect the drivability of the truck, its just annoying. also, the truck had 31 10.50 r15's on it when i got it, and i replaced them with the same size good year wrangler territorys the same week i got it, but i fear this may have been a mistake as the factory size on the door is alot smaller, and i am currently getting around 11mpg, while barley keeping up with traffic. i dont expect it to be quick, i just want to be able to keep up. could this be due in part to my tire size? i can do 140kmh on the high way, and thats everything, floor mat pulled out, in "power mode" lol. its not revving high... just out of steam. anyway, thats alot to put out right now, so once again any thoughts are appriciated. thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech

Try the "return" key

Rear wheel bearing/seals
Pinion bearing/seal
R&P stuff

Lots of options and variables.

Try swapping diffs if you got one.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, ill be sure to space it out some from now on

i guess ill get that axle, it sounded like a good deal anyway, and see if it helps.

i guess for the price of new seals and everything, id be into it more to use my current

one than to just swap it out anyway. thanks for the reply!

Billy
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
"i guess for the price of new seals and everything, id be into it more to use my current

one than to just swap it out anyway"

IF the one you're getting doesn't have any issues....