Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear coil update and question, please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking rear coil update and question, please!

in an attempt to level out my 95 and save cash for a real lift later on, I went with Napa for some OEM replacements...
the ride is nice, tad stiff but didnt expect a caddy ride either. so overall my first attempt at spring purchase and self installation was a complete success.. used a spring compressor which was nice.

Ill have to say I am surprised...the truck is level (unless you are obsessive like me and measure everytime I look at it)...
So my question is this: with stock shocks and new oem replacement coils, can I still add that small 1" spacer to put the level issue to bed? will my stock shocks "give" me that much more? Could I lower the torsion up front as an option? ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
As I learn more, I am really getting interested in a nice lift kit in the future, just not right now.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sure. 1" won't make much difference in your shocks. I figure I have 1" of lift on the rear of my '86 (leafs with added coils between axle and frame) and it's had no effect.

I wouldn't lower the torsion bars, though. It seems to me you're looking for some forward rake in the stance and lowering the front just isn't the way to do it. You'll have less axle/diff clearance.

Oh, btw, glad to see you got it done. Not that bad of a job, eh?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd rather see you bring the rear end up than drop the front end. If you un-crank the torsions up front, you'll only make it more likely for the front end to bottom out and the rear will still be just as stiff as it is. Adding a spacer to the rear will pop it up a bit but won't dramatically change the ride quality in the back.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:49 PM

bring the back out, the shocks aren't needed but if you do like a nice ride and no noise it would be good to get no shocks that fit the 1" of lift. I ran a 1.5" daystar spacer in the back when i=I had my 94 ad didn't change the shocks and the ride was terrible and the noise that they made every time they would fully extend and compress was unbearable. Just my $.02.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
True dat.....but, if he's not offroading a lot...like me....he won't experience that. I only say this because I assume from your avatar you might see more offroading than he.

On the other hand, if he (you...yota4lif6) hasn't gotten shocks already, it would definitely be the way to go.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:10 AM

thanks guys..
yeah not a bad job at all..it was my first attempt and things went well...littel cursing, but nothing too bad.

whats frustrating as a newb, is evertime I complete somthing or change something, I become even that much more aware of possibilities I can tackle... maybe a new set of rear shocks is the right thing to do with some spacers, huh?

can you guys brief me on the front spring install? Now that I feel the new rear ones, I feel like my front end is jealous.....lol Is it alot tougher than the rear? could I handle it? Whats your opinion on cranking the front torsion bar and ride quality?

I do have the right tools and shop at work for making my own spacers and heard that a sheet of urythane or some plastics do well... do you guys recommend this or are the store bought ones that much better? anyone recommend a brand? do they make 1" or do I need to go 1/5"?

thanks again fellas

yota