Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear Axle Seal R & R

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Axle Seal R & R

hi,

a few days ago i noticed oil leaking downf my left rear tire. i looked about and found that the breather on the differential was seriously gummed up. i cleaned that off and added diff fluid. i had a bit more fluid come out on the tire that day, but for the last few days i've not noticed anything running down the tire or collecting on the ground.

1. does it happen that the seal will "re-seal" itself once the pressure is relieved?

2. if i were to replace the seals, would you reccommend doing both sides?

3. besides the seals, would i need any gaskets?

4. does anyone have enough experience to offer an opinion as to whether or not the axle bearings are typically damaged as a result of a seal failure?

i've searched and read the threads that i found on rear axle seal R & R and it seems a rather straight forward job. my mechanic wants $250 per side for the seal job and another $100 to do the bearings at the same time. i don't think i'm up to pounding the axles to remove the old bearings, but if the bearings are likely OK, then doing the seal replacement would be doable under my shade tree.

thanks for any help.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM

Hey man,

My thought is if it ain't broke don't fix it. Meaning if it stops leaking your probably alright. Although there is a chance it won't. Assuming your truck is older it never hurts to replace the seals. I did it myself a few months back and it is real straight forward. To start plan on doing both sides. So you will need to find the right parts. I personally recomend Marlin Crawler's rear axle service kit. Here's a link....

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/re...ce-kit-1979-99

Just make sure you purchase two kits as you will want to do both sides. If you have some basic hand tools and a jack the task can be done easily yourself. Simply remove the axleshaft's per the instructions in your Haynes manual or FSM. Once you have them out replace the inner axle seals by prying the old ones out and applying some grease around the outer rim of the new ones. Then using a block of wood tap the new ones in evenly. As far as replacing the bearings, outer axle seals, etc. I would just bring the remaining parts in your TWO axle service kits and your axle shaft assemblies to a machine shop or mechanic who will change out the bearings, outer axle seal, etc. Once you get them back button everything back up and fill her with oil and all should be well.

You can do the whole job yourself for around $250-$300 as opposed to paying $600 for paying someone else to do it. Also, as an added side benefit, the parts in the Marlin Crawler kits are genuine Toyota. Not some knock offs Chinese junk you'll get at a corner auto parts store.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
now that you have the vent open, see if it quits leaking. did on my old ford
Old 04-25-2011, 02:46 PM

I replaced the axle seal on the passengers side this weekend. There was obvious play in the bearing. I ended up taking the axle to a gear shop and letting them replace it for $20 labor. I had tried pressing it out on a buddy's press, but I didn't make any progress. I got everything back together this afternoon and am waiting on the weather to bleed the brakes. I had to replace a piece of break line and the two rear bleeder valves as well.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:46 PM

I`ve logged over a half million miles in Toyota pickups and one thing I learned is that if a rear wheel seal is leaking, the wheel bearing is gone. Toyota uses a double sealed rear wheel bearing and when the bearing starts to get worn out, it hogs out the seal, then the inner seal doesn`t handle the added flow. I`ll be doing one this week on my `94 with 220K. I built a press to remove the old one, which I`ll post a pic somewhere along the line. I`ve done about 20 bearings with it and rebuilt it a couple years ago to handle ABS axles. I just joined today, looking to find a source for a factory e-locker for my sweetie`s 06 Tacoma, but I`ll get to it soon.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
^^would like to see what you have come up with for a press etc
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it quits leaking, at a minimum pull the drum and clean the gear oil off the shoes. A can of brake clean will handle that.

If you do need seals, its not a big deal. Plenty of videos and links to give you the basics. Pull the shaft and head to a machine shop. They can press the bearings for a minimum.

$250 a side is high for only seals.