86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Random Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random Dead Battery

89 4runner 22RE. I've been chasing a hard start issue (hot or cold doesn't really much matter) that may or may not be related. I thought I had it fixed with new injectors but it is still needing to be cranked like 20 times before sputtering to a start. Anyhow, in the midst of this, my battery has randomly died on me twice now. Just got the battery checked and they said it was okay but the CCA were a little lower than it should be (optima red top with 720 CCA but he was only getting 500 CCA). This morning I got in, cranked on it for a long time with strong cranks but it wasn't firing. Turn the key off, turn the key back on to try a second time and the battery is completely dead. No lights, no buzzer, no nothing. Same thing happened to me a week ago. Driving to the gun range and the truck is running alright. Go shoot for a little bit and come back out to a completely dead battery. No lights left on or anything.

Thoughts? I'm all ears and have lost my patience.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:44 AM

Clean up all of your battery cables and grounds. That problem, the way you described it, seems like this could fix it. I had the same issue with mine and I continued to have the same problem and it only worked whenot I jumped off. If this doesn't work, it defiantly won't hurt to clean your cables and grounds. They need to be shiny! Good luck hope you get this fixed!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:45 AM

Thanks SilentBounty. I know my terminals are pretty well spotless but I'll check the grounds. I'm going to try to run my multimeter on it at lunch to see if the battery is actually dead or what. It is just so crazy that I could have 100% full power one second and then absolutely nothing the next. I've never heard of anything like this happening before.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM

Yes I had the same issue. Every check I did plus walmart said it was good but when I hooked it to my truck the buzzer and dash lit up barely and the voltage meter was really low and it shut completely off with a load as small as my brake lights. Come to find out, after much stumpimg, my battery cables both just needed to be cleaned. The positive cable wasn't making enough contact to send good voltage to the starter and my fusible link was on top of it. Cleaned me up and replaced the battery terminas on the cables and it starts better than ever. It may not be your issue but if the battery is undoubtedly good then those are the exact signs I had. Oh and by the way, don't just check the terminals. Take the cable off of themy and clean it and the terminals. You can't visually inspect if a connection or ground is good. But like I said never hurts to clean them up either way! Haha. Hope it turns out good lster!

Last edited by SilentBounty; 01-05-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 AM

You nailed it! Battery came in at like 12.3 V across the terminals and then I tested to the ground on the intake plenum.... 0.4 V

Looks like I'll need to redo all my ground wires. Know of a good source for equivalent ground straps?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sound familiar to anybody- Sticky anybody????????????

Originally Posted by Odin
There's been alot of threads on here lately about alternators and starter problems, so much so I think cleaning battery POS and NEG cables and their contact areas along with voltage drop testing should be a sticky!

Normally one of the things that is suggested is to clean ALL the main power and ground wires and their contact areas. The normal reply is they look good.
This is pretty much a caned response meaning-
They didn't clean them because they "L@@ked" good on the outside so they didn't bother to clean them The problem could easily be right at the connection where you can't see it until it is disassembled and cleaned!
I just can't take people serious when they won't do this one simple thing. Plenty of people have replaced a battery, alternator or a starter before they do this one step and still have problems.
Knock the simple stuff off the list first!

Doing a quick visual inspection doesn't cut it!

To be reliable all contact area's must be clean and shiny like the day it rolled off the assembly line. With the small power and ground wires on these trucks just a little corrosion can create extra work for the alternator (think life span), reduced light levels from the interior and headlights, cause starter problems (spin slow, not at all, clicking) or even cause wires to overheat and smoke.

buuut anyhow, I'm outta here

What's that you say? You can't find all the ground wires on your 22R/RE... Here ya go https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-guide-194413/

That's great but the voltage test only tells part of the story.

What you guys with starter and alternator problems really need to do is clean all your power and ground connections no matter what shape you think they're in.
When I start having problems in those area's it's the first thing I do. In some cases it only takes a little corrosion to effect a circuit and with our wimpy 6 gauge battery cables I suspect that's the case quite often. And remember since Japan doesn't rate their wires like we do that wire is probably closer to 7 awg.
If you haven't cleaned the wire and the area of the part it's connected to with a wire brush or something of the sort and made it shiny all bets are off.
Adding a little dielectric grease or Deox-IT before reattachment will help keep problems away.

The second step for me is a Voltage Drop Test
Unlike simply testing for voltage performing a Voltage Drop Test tells you how much loss there is from between two points and can sometimes pinpoint things easier.

Unlike a regular voltage test when performing a voltage drop test BOTH test leads are connected to only one side of the circuit. That is, if you want to test the NEG side both leads have to be connected to the NEG circuit.
Also, it doesn't matter if your gauge gives you a negative or positive reading, you're still going to get the numbers you need and that's lost voltage.
The noted acceptable loss on the NEG side is .200V but I like to see much less.
The noted acceptable loss for the POS side is up to .5V but remember LOWER READINGS ON BOTH SIDES ARE DESIRABLE.

Rather than explain how to do it here's a couple video's that explain it in detail and the second one shows real results.

Notice in this video the connector they clean up doesn't look like it's in that bad of shape but cleaning it fixed their particular problem.

Thinking about disconnecting the battery while the engine is running to see if the alternator is good, DONT!

Originally Posted by RJR
A "couple of seconds" is lifetime (literally) when it comes to blowing up electronics. Usually an overvoltage surge will take out unprotected transistors and IC's in a matter of milli-seconds - much faster than a human can react. There is no "safe" time for an overvoltage event.

That being said, the auto manufacturers recognize that voltage regulators fail, and are pretty good about building protection into the ECU's and other more expensive electronic parts. Your aftermarket stereo, maybe, maybe not.

Disconnecting the battery is NOT the best way to find out if your alternator is working, your uncle notwithstanding. The best way is with your trusty multimeter. With the engine running, voltage at the battery should be between 12.5 and 13.5, 14 absolute max. Lower means your alternator likely isn't working, higher means your voltage regulator is not working.

Don't run the engine without the battery hooked up, that's a good way of shortening the life of the alternator and in some cases it can take out the ECM.

Stop replacing things until you find out what's wrong. If you still have it immediately try charging your old battery back up to full strength on a good charger.

Don't just assume your power and ground wires are good and making strong contact. This assumption has cost a lot of people some good money. The cables on these trucks are pitifully small and it doesn't take much corrosion to effect them. Get out a wire brush and clean all the ends of the connectors and the areas they are connected to. Scrub them with a wire brush or some 0000 Super Fine steel wool, it's easy and won't take that long.

If you still have problems it's time to do a voltage drop test to look for bad connections, bad wires and check out your alternator. It's very easy to do. Electronical stuff confuses me but even a simpleton like myself can do it. Start by watching this video then watch some different ones if it still isn't clear.

Make sure you're running your heater, headlights, stereo and other accessories when performing the alternator test.

Last edited by Odin; 03-11-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:46 AM

No im not sure of a good source of ground straps. I'm sure one of the awesome people who frequent this forum woUK know better than me. And yeah the stickys are very helpful on this site. I always read up on them again and again and learn something new every time! Glad you got ito man!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SilentBounty
And yeah the stickys are very helpful on this site. I always read up on them again and again and learn something new every time! Glad you got ito man!
I can't make sticky's, I have no control over that.

But it would sure be nice so we could get rid of some of the same questions over and over. It never solves the issue of repeated questions and I'm 100% positive I'm also guilty of repeating a question or two

If a sticky was made someone could simply say well maybe you should try this and give them a link to the sticky....
Old 01-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Yes it does get old but then every one knows you don`t need grounds they don`t do anything

Spend all the money on a fancy battery and can`t get the current where it needs to go.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:05 AM

I installed an aftermarket radio and that killed my battery in 1 week. I had to put a kill switch on it to solve the problem.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerRogers
I installed an aftermarket radio and that killed my battery in 1 week. I had to put a kill switch on it to solve the problem.
A stereo shouldn't do that. Sure you didn't leave it on or create a short?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:41 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
It could do it if you accidentally connected the stereo power wire to an "always on" 12V source, rather than 12V switched through the ignition/accessory switch.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by RJR
It could do it if you accidentally connected the stereo power wire to an "always on" 12V source, rather than 12V switched through the ignition/accessory switch.
hmm, (speculation here)
But it's still hooked up to an off switch in the stereo.
It still shouldn't be able to draw more than just enough juice to allow the clock and memory function to work. That would be considered a normal small draw unless something is wrong with the stereo or it was left on.

In my old muscle cars I use to hook my car stereo's up to constant power because we'd sit in a parking lot for quite a while and I didn't want to have power running through the ignition circuit. I never had drainage problems hooked up that way.

Last edited by Odin; 01-06-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by SilentBounty
No im not sure of a good source of ground straps.
You can buy pre-assembled black battery cables from auto supply stores or, buy cable by the foot and heavy-duty ring terminals from NAPA and make your own custom ones. You'd need a strong crimper. I used Harbor Freight hydraulic crimpers (note that dies are not labeled correctly), soldered with 85-Watt iron to fill in air gaps, coated with liquid tape and applied heat-shrink.

I can't make sticky's, I have no control over that.But it would sure be nice so we could get rid of some of the same questions over and over...
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Spend all the money on a fancy battery and can`t get the current where it needs to go.
AMEN!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
An issue I have seen occasionally is that the key will come out of the ignition without being in the OFF position on the 84-89 trucks. Basically the clock will also run down the battery and just circuits being energized in general. Sounds like you have other issues and are finding them but something else to look for.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-07-2015 at 06:03 AM.