Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rancho IFS Lift Install by a newb

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rancho IFS Lift Install by a newb

This write up is for the 2.5”- 3” Rancho IFS lift (not sure what really ends up).
This kit includes UCA, the dropping brackets for the front dif, and after market torsion bars that come with it. Along with it is a 2” rear leaf spring lift not sure from what supplier see for I bought this kit used from artofliphkd, which he did not need for hea had a S.A.S from trail gear done. Which looks awesome by the way...
This how I bought it…

After some removing parts of the old ifs system that was cut from the frame, this is what I ended up with.

I have a question here, I wanted to sand blast all the metal parts and get them power coated, but my friend told me that in the baking process the metal becomes weak from the heating process they use to bake the paint on it is this true???

Also Ive been reading about people running ball joints spacers along with this kit, half of them say its not a good idea, other half says they have no issues. can some one clear this up for me??

well this is the first time im gona be elbow deep in my truck
here goes

Peach
Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
do you have all the parts to the kit? the center link and the tie rod extensions? check the tie rods.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Ah I have the same Kit, installed in 93, been good so far. I sanded and painted semi g black.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 PM

Mak: i was reading your post on your rancho lift and hubs you bought, I have not yet read the hole thread. But I belevie I do have the tie rod extensions, but what is the center link and what is it for??

tie rod extensions right???

Teuf: do you have any pics of your rig??

Also i would like to ask another question...

what are these things for??vvvvv

came in the box of goodies
and these are all the goodies

Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Peach
Mak: i was reading your post on your rancho lift and hubs you bought, I have not yet read the hole thread. But I belevie I do have the tie rod extensions, but what is the center link and what is it for??

2nd pic steer arm from SFA
Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Peach

the 3rd picture has the center link in the top of the picture... and yes those are the tie rod extensions. so it appears you have the full kit
Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 AM

Old 06-29-2010, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
you should go all out; install some ball joint spacers too

JUST KIDDING!!!

don't do that; it throws the steering geometry all out of wack, lol

ask me how I know

Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Now lets see it on the truck!!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There should be no issues with powder coating your parts, other than cost. (Unless you have an in with a shop).

The temp that they bake them at is the range of 375 to 390 degrees. This is typically not an issues for your run of the mill, automotive type steel parts. There are some types of tool steel and exotic alloys that receive heat treatments at lower temps that might be affected by the powder coating bake out, but those alloys would not be used in these types of parts.

I find it is way cheaper, but more time consuming, to just rattle can the parts. Then, you can touch them up easily if you need to. Also, powder coating tends to propogate rust under the paint layer more than wet paints.

Just a note on the Rancho kit, you cannot use the kit with a V6 with headers.

Last edited by OutlawMike; 06-29-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 PM

Can't power coat

Well seems my budy got layed off, so I wont be able to get the parts power coated. But I did like what OutlawMike pointed out, that i would be able to tuch them up with spray paint if the paint gets damaged in any way.

Also was thinking of getting my own little sandblaster(mediablaster) from Harbor freight has any one used them before, any issues???

Mak: what is the center link for?

Teuf: nice truck, Mine was red before but dint like it(prob. beacuse was all scratched up) but I kinda like your red is that factory color???
also did you get that skid plate or did you make it??

Rich: so I Dont need does parts right???

Bleeder(can I call you bleeder every one does): does it realy trow your steering of that bad, does it pull or does it just eat your tires faster??
reasone why i asked is that i was looking for some spacers and my friend says his cuzen had spacers on his 89 and did a S.A.S and he thinks he might have them.

Peach
Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 AM

Peach thats factory color, and the skid plate I made.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 AM

keep an eye out on the upper control arm, mine cracked/broke. LandCruiser Solutions in NH did a great weld job. Been about 5 years with weld. mmm looks like i need to get out the spray can aye.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:38 PM

whats the progress on it?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 PM

progress

Sorry guys work has been a bitch and well haven't realy done much, the only thing I've done is clean the grease of all the parts. but on a dif. Note I bought the sand(media) blaster from harbor freight and well seams pretty sturdy and well I plan to use on the weekend so if all goes good ill have them painted and ready to install this Sunday. Blender how long did it take you to install the rancho uca? well all I can say is sorry guys 4 taking so long but if i don't work then theres no money but I promise to have something done by Monday morning
Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 PM

How this lift project going?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Okay im back...

Hello Ladies and Gents,
Sorry I took so long finishing this up but i left to mexico got robed and they would not let me back into the states butt that’s something else.

Soon after arriving home i figured it would be nice to finish up my 4runner and take out to Gorman. So I get some gloves, some old pair of jeans and went at it. I took The UPCA apart and found out the bushings were destroyed in the process of strengthening the UPCA they were melted Bad... most of them were fused to the UPCA had to burn them out only one came out and not that easily

Had to get new bushings took me about two months of calling, searching online but I found some nice bushings that used bigger bolts….

Send all the parts to get sand blasted, and then got a painted with white semi-gloss paint about for coat

Started taking the old 4Runner apart, and well I guess what they say is true. You really don’t know what you have until you get elbow deep in it. This poor thing has been through some rough things gas tank plate bent , tranny cross member beat up left LCA bracket bent , etc.

So I figured ˟˟˟˟ it I’m already in here let’s take everything and trough it out the window. So I did took the tranny out, tore everything of the front suspension out and I’m installing everything new. New ball joints, tie rod ends etc.

Bought a tranny 5 speed clutch cylinder, slave cylinder, flywheel and clutch only thing is I’m having a hard time removing the old flywheel, any ideas how??? I was thinking to opening up cylinder one sticking some cloth or rope, something to bind the engine think it’ll be okay?? Or is there a special tool to hold the flywheel???

Got to go ill post something else next week….

Anybody want a tranny?
w56 with all its parts
Old 03-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

they make tools to hold the flywheel. Or use an impact. I have used the rope trick many times on snowmobiles and other small(ish) motors. I would assume it would be fine on our trucks. But someone can chime in and tell us for sure.

I like the impact gun the best though

Build is looking good
Old 05-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Well almost Done

Everything is on the runner...
was much more time consuming than i thought it would be.
Theres some thing to button up, butt I'm more than half way there..

Here are some random pictures of the project

I only have one question how does the steering dampaner go with this lift??
I had instructions for installing this lift but can find it anymore

i know it has to do something with this
Old 05-18-2011, 03:24 PM

i want the tranny. lol nice write up btw

Quick Reply: Rancho IFS Lift Install by a newb