Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Radiator low, reservoir above ful

Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator low, reservoir above ful

hey guys just wanted to put this out there to maybe help somebody in the future.

I changed my rad cap and upper rad hose the other day since I was under the hood working on a bunch of other stuff. The next day at work I checked on the coolant levels (cold) and I found the reservoir was well above the full line and the radiator was low. The truck did this every time it went through a heat/cool cycle.

after looking for a couple of hours online and reading post after post on a bunch of different forums where everybody was super quick to tell every O.P. that they needed to change their head gasket I got to thinking....

long story short, the hose from Autozone was a piece of ˟˟˟˟˟. It was collapsing under the vacuum of a cooling engine, and not allowing the vacuum to pull the rad cap open to let coolant back in.

Swapped it out with a hose from napa and the problem is magically gone! Talked to the manager at Autozone and he informed me he will NOT be passing this info on to higher up Autozone people. He was a big time d*ck

sorry for the long post, just wanted to get this info out there to hopefully prevent somebody from buying an Autozone hose, or taking a truck in for a H.G. and paying $300 when all they needed was a $13 hose
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Hard to say if it is every hose or if they just got a bad lot from the supplier.

Did you get a refund if only in store credit??

I have got soft hoses before over the years it happens.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Why would the manager say anything to corporate? Autozone is just a reseller, the people to talk to is the manufacturer. Autozone carries Dayco hoses, btw. Not sure about Napa, especially since they're almost all franchise stores, who knows what you got there.

Also, to save on stocking space, Autozone frequently cross-references part numbers with longer hoses that can be cut-to-fit for many applications. If this was the case, and it wasn't cut down, it would very easily collapse.

Sorry you got a bad hose dude, but sounds like you were the one being a d*ck.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i got a refund. Lmao, soft hose......

No, i wasnt a di*k at all but for some reason the dude felt like giving me a big attitude. Only reason i thought he might want to pass the info on was because maybe they would want to look into the quality of the parts they sell, but maybe thats just me. And yes i trimmed down the hose to fit.

I just wanted to put this out there so if somebody is having similar issues it could give them an other option to look into.