Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

R150F transmission problems

Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
R150F transmission problems

The transmission on my 1993 pickup has some problems. The very first time I have driven it at 124,000 miles, (before buying it) the shifter moved out of 1st gear and it happened sometimes since (now has 144,000 miles on it). There's a bearing noise in the transmission that went worse since I got it and the clutch ain't too good either (it's not slipping but the pressure plate needs to be resurfaced). I changed the oil twice with no improvement on the bearing noise.

A few days ago, the transmission went out of 3rd gear by itself for the first time (with a grinding noise) just after shifting and it happened again later that day. And then, I noticed that the shifter doesn't travel as far as it did before that when I shift in 4th gear (the knob moves about 1" less than in 2nd or reverse).

A friend of mine who rebuilds transmissions will have a look at that during his vacations while replacing the clutch in a few weeks but I'd like to have an idea about what's happening in the gearbox! He told me to look at the shifter bushing so I removed the console, shift boot and the plate above the transmission (I had no idea about how to remove the shifter alone and inspect the other bushing) so I think I looked at the wrong one (the white one at the base of the shift lever was fine) but I didn't see the black one!

Anyway, the bushing might be bad but I don't think it would cause the shifter knob to suddenly travel 1" less in 4th gear unless I'm missing something... While the shifter was removed, I moved the part where the shifter connects in the transmission and in 4th gear (upper center position) it doesn't seem to travel as far as it does in other positions, maybe 1/8" or even less but I'm guessing that it could explain the 1" difference at the shifter knob.

My W 56 transmission also has a problem (hard to shift in 5th gear during cold weather) but the rest is fine and I haven't planned removing this one soon!

Can somebody give me any advice on what to look at to correct any of these problems?

Last edited by PhilR; 06-14-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Troubleshooting any manual Toyota tranny should start like this:

1: Check the fluid.
2: Check the shifter bushing... Scratch that, #1 is download a FSM and read it!
3: Change the fluid and make sure the fluid is either Toyota brand, or as close as possible to it. But hold out for the Toyota oil.

I have put thicker fluid in a 2WD and cold it was fine, hot and it was hard to put in ANY gear, it slipped out of them all, and would barely go into 5th and would not stay unless you held it there...
Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My R150F had similar problems. It occasionally popped out of gear, and got progressively worse over a couple of months. Also, the shifter's pathway to 3rd or 4rth would seem obstructed intermittently, like the shifter wouldn't travel as far, wouldn't be fully in gear, and then would for sure pop out of gear. New shifter bushings solved my problem. Check out Marlin Crawler's upgraded bushings.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats

Last edited by Wrenchinjoe; 06-14-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
Troubleshooting any manual Toyota tranny should start like this:

1: Check the fluid.
2: Check the shifter bushing... Scratch that, #1 is download a FSM and read it!
3: Change the fluid and make sure the fluid is either Toyota brand, or as close as possible to it. But hold out for the Toyota oil.

I have put thicker fluid in a 2WD and cold it was fine, hot and it was hard to put in ANY gear, it slipped out of them all, and would barely go into 5th and would not stay unless you held it there...
I had the fluid changed at the Toyota dealer last year and I changed it again with synthetic this year and I saw no improvement.

I also have downloaded the 1993 FSM and have the paper FSM for my 1990 too...

Originally Posted by Wrenchinjoe
My R150F had similar problems. It occasionally popped out of gear, and got progressively worse over a couple of months. Also, the shifter's pathway to 3rd or 4rth would seem obstructed intermittently, like the shifter wouldn't travel as far, wouldn't be fully in gear, and then would for sure pop out of gear. New shifter bushings solved my problem. Check out Marlin Crawler's upgraded bushings.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats
I didn't look at the upper shifter bushing but I ordered both bushings at my local Toyota dealer and I should get them tomorrow. If it solves my problem, I might order another set from Marlin Crawler and replace those in my 1990 too...

Last edited by PhilR; 06-14-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for digging up an old thread but I joined specifically to say I had a very similar problem. When driving there was an electric drill noise in fourth and fifth gear under light load. I was at school and though nothing of it, a month later after driving home a couple times (300 miles round trip each time) the noise had moved into second and third as well and had gotten very loud. Finally being home for Christmas break was getting my truck inspected. The mechanic said he thought it was bearings in the transmission but nothing major. Today after it recently got worse, I drained the transmission and transfer case looking for any signs of what was wrong, found nothing. Drained the rear differential and a black sludge exploded out. Found that my ring and pinion were chewed up and that the vent was plugged up. Hope this can help anyone else with similar problems. I had searched for a solid week and found no real help until I went under the truck myself. just hoping to help someone else
The following users liked this post:
poopman1227 (03-26-2023)