86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R150 Trans Pulling Hard Left in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
R150 Trans Pulling Hard Left in 4WD

Whats up guys! I got a 93' ex cab 3.4 swapped thats pullin hard left when I am in 4WD. I have confirmed that both hubs are locked. I am thinking that over time, the abuse that i've put on the t-case mount and then the added torque of the 3.4 may have exhausted the t-case mount causing the t-case to twist a little more then usual which in turn torques the whole front end to the left? Thoughts? Merry Christmas
Old 12-20-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Probably not a transmission problem.
Much more likely in the front axle somewhere.
Jack her front wheels up and check for sticking brakes and smooth rotation of the axles.
Maybe some front suspension parts are shifting and binding when torque is applied in 4wd.

Last edited by millball; 12-20-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if your transmission and tcase were twisting to the side you wouldn't get a pulling because your driveshaft would simply compensate for the new angle. Sounds like a problem with loose or worn out parts (bushings or tie rods).
Old 12-20-2013, 09:04 AM

I am getting ready to do a whole front and overall including bushings bearings and a 5 inch lift so I think I might buy the differential bushings as well
Old 12-20-2013, 09:23 AM

And ball joints. Never done the tie rod though
Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might not hurt to do the differential bushings, though I've never heard of them being a problem. It'd go with your whole new front end, anyhow.

As far as the pulling, it's more than likely just alignment. It doesn't take much misalignment to make it pull one way or the other. Mine is aligned enough to make the tires wear evenly, nothing odd other than the normal front end cupping if you don't rotate the tires on time. It still gets pushed to the left by the front right tire, though that could also be a worn idler arm. Also, is this on pavement it goes to the left? Mine doesn't in dirt/snow because there's enough slip in low traction environments.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Snow, pavement, anywhere. I've chatted with WabFab regarding this and he says that he thinks my passenger hub is not locking all the way. Going to stick with the front and overhaul since I've already ordered all the parts and was planning on doing it anyway
Old 12-20-2013, 03:35 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
If you have an open front diff, an unlocked hub will just mean no 4wd at all. It won't cause it to pull one way or the other. If the front diff has a locker, then an unlocked hub on the left wheel will cause it to pull to the left on acceleration, and to the right on deceleration.

Last edited by RJR; 12-20-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:40 PM

I disagree. Same concept as if you stuff your passenger side tire in your fender well, the tire on the other side is still going to spin regardless and visa versa.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Austin Marr
I disagree. Same concept as if you stuff your passenger side tire in your fender well, the tire on the other side is still going to spin regardless and visa versa.
RJR was saying if your front diff is open, with only ONE hub locked and the other unlocked NO power gets to the front wheels
Old 12-20-2013, 03:44 PM

You have a front locker correct? You can just lock your passenger side hub only to see if the hubs is engaging.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:48 PM

Open diff. And i dont think thats how the diff's work.....?
Old 12-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Open diff. And i dont think thats how the diff's work.....?
What do you mean how the diffs work? All a diff does is transfer power
Old 12-20-2013, 03:59 PM

Yes i know that. It just doesn't make sense how if only one hub is locked that automatically means no power is going to any of the tires regardless if the other side is locked. If the other hub is locked, that side should at least get power right? I am not sure how the front diff's work or what happens when only 1 hub is locked and the other isn't but doesn't each hub work independently? or do they really have to work together to get power to the front at all? I'd be curious to see how it works (visual learner here). Thanks for the input
Old 12-20-2013, 04:01 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Wait. Is the steering pulling or is the the whole engine, trans, and transfercase actually rotating which is noticeable by watching the shifters?
If its just rotating, that's normal. It's called driveline torque. There's a reason your engine and transmission is mounted on rubber. It's so it can move like it needs to.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:05 PM

An open diff sends power to the side with least amount of resistance. Ever seen a 1 wheel burn out? There are some good videos on YouTube how a diff works.
Not sure what would cause your truck to pull to the left in 4wd if you have a open diff. Are all of your tires the same size? Same tire pressure?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes i know that. It just doesn't make sense how if only one hub is locked that automatically means no power is going to any of the tires regardless if the other side is locked. If the other hub is locked, that side should at least get power right? I am not sure how the front diff's work or what happens when only 1 hub is locked and the other isn't but doesn't each hub work independently? or do they really have to work together to get power to the front at all? I'd be curious to see how it works (visual learner here). Thanks for the input
Power travels through the path of least resistance.

Think about it like this.
4 WD. Drivers side hub locked and passenger side unlocked. Where is the path of least resistance? The side unlocked hub because that shaft isn't trying to turn the tire and wheel.
The actual shaft on passenger side still spins but since the hub is unlocked you won't go anywhere.

This is the reason we put lockers in our trucks.

Do some reading.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 PM

Ya I get it now. Tires same size/brand etc. I'm meticulous with that kind of stuff. The little stuff like this bothers me and I want to fix it if possible

Sent from my iPad using YotaTech
Old 12-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Worth watching.

Sent from my NSA screened iPhone
Old 12-20-2013, 09:17 PM

Does it only do it when accelerating, decelerating, or both? It only does it in 4wd, so just for s&g's, how did you confirm your hubs are locked? What condition are your cv's in? When was your last alignment, brake service, tire rotation, etc?

Quick Reply: R150 Trans Pulling Hard Left in 4WD