86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick a/t solenoid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quick a/t solenoid question

Ok..heres the scoop...got a new tranny and motor with 130k, old tranny works but does not shift to o/d, and usually skips 2nd, if I am reading the fsm correctly
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...33manualsh.pdf
I think it's the no.1 solenoid... sound right? also, is there a method for cleaning these things? I do have other solenoids, so if they cant be cleaned, they can be replaced, but I'd rather not take solenoids out a good working trans, and I dont wanna swap the trans till I have to, then I'll swap the motor and trans.
T.I.A. and I know this horse has been beaten to death, but couldnt find any conclusions from my search, so any help is much appriciated... other wise..I'm just gonna tear into it, and hope not to break anything!!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:39 PM

pulled teh solenoids, and all 3 work!! there was a little stuff in the filter, but nothing that would keep it from shifting, guess my next step is to do a check on the cruise control system, it is not a temp sensor,
I know this because, when I start off(cold truck) the t.c wont lock up untill the truck is warm, I am figuring it has to be something electrical, due to all the water that was in it(see avatar)... any thoughts as to where to go from here?? I was sure it was a solenoid!!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say give teh engine a full tune up before beating yourself up over the trans. If the engine ain't putting out the proper power, the trans is gonna be confuzzled.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate transmissions, but just did some work on a subaru, solenoid d was the TC. It turned out to be a dropping resistor that I had to get at a salvage yard. But I drive a M/T, so don't trust me.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say give teh engine a full tune up before beating yourself up over the trans. If the engine ain't putting out the proper power, the trans is gonna be confuzzled.
hmmm... I had thought about that, but the engine seems to have the same power as before all the water, might actually even say better, and the trans even shiftes better now, just no o.d., the weird part is, that if you turn o/d off (o/d off light is on) the t.c. locks normal, just no o/d.. if u turn o/d on (light is off) then no t.c. lock up... but I am 100% sure the solenoids work...took them out and jumped them to the batt...click click

the fsm does mention o/d probs if there is a prob with the cruise control, and the cc ecu was completely submerged...so I guess thats my next place to look.

Last edited by Team420; 05-21-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you run any codes?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Team420
hmmm... I had thought about that, but the engine seems to have the same power as before all the water, might actually even say better, and the trans even shiftes better now, just no o.d., the weird part is, that if you turn o/d off (o/d off light is on) the t.c. locks normal, just no o/d.. if u turn o/d on (light is off) then no t.c. lock up... but I am 100% sure the solenoids work...took them out and jumped them to the batt...click click

the fsm does mention o/d probs if there is a prob with the cruise control, and the cc ecu was completely submerged...so I guess thats my next place to look.
if everything works fine with O/D off, considering what you just posted about the CC, that sounds like good place to go to next.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Absolutely. Disconnect you CC system and go from there.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by crews462
Have you run any codes?
nope...no codes, not for the trans any way... and the cc just blinks 5 times, waits a sec, then repeats over and over when trying to pull cc codes.

Originally Posted by abecedarian
if everything works fine with O/D off, considering what you just posted about the CC, that sounds like good place to go to next.
Yeah...it would be sweet to get this thing running again, I have a spare motor and trans, but dont wanna change them yet, or if I have to, I wanna do both at the same time, then I have spares, for a new mud buggy!!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Noltz
^^ Absolutely. Disconnect you CC system and go from there.
now..to do this, u just unplug the cc ecu...right... and that wont keep o/d from engaging?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 PM

oh..and how's this for a kick in the teeth... when i put the pan back on, it seem all the bolts/or holes ( bolts seem ok) on the pass side of the pan are stripped.... they just keep turnin and turnin...no i didnt use air tools, is there an easy fix for this..i.e longer bolts? I really dont wanna tap all of them....thnx

Last edited by Team420; 05-21-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
oh..and how's this for a kick in the teeth... when i put the pan back on, it seem all the bolts/or holes ( bolts seem ok) on the pass side of the pan are stripped.... they just keep turnin and turnin...no i didnt use air tools, is there an easy fix for this..i.e longer bolts? I really dont wanna tap all of them....thnx
Are you using one of those thick cork gaskets or something. That would leave less thread engagement.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 AM

nope.. the rubber kind, the cork gaskets would barely last 6 mos, If my filter came with one, I would toss it and use rtv!!, I had the truck parked in my garage overnite before taking off the pan, and noticed about 1/2 pint of trans fluid under it, looks like it could have come from that side of the pan.. is it possible that having all that water in there over pressurized it and pushed the pan out? I know thats a reach, but I have no idea why they would be stripped all of a sudden.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

.. is it possible that having all that water in there over pressurized it and pushed the pan out? I know thats a reach, but I have no idea why they would be stripped all of a sudden.
I think its possible, I once speculated that may be why one guy blew his radiator ATF cooler. Water turning into steam creates a lot of pressure fast.

When I was a teen racing dirt bikes I once got the bright idea to seal up the vent in my side case cover because water was getting my points wet during water crossings. Not long after that BOOM, the pressure increased enough to blow the side case cover off taking most of the side case bolt threads with it.

The small tranny vent is meant to vent air, but when you fill the tranny with water and mix it up into a thick strawberry milkshake and heat the water into steam, lots of pressure can built up fast and the little vent is getting slowed by thick milkshake run thought it. Yes, I could see a BOOM happening!

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-22-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:18 AM

hmmm...so what to do...am I gonna have to tap all of these holes(6 or so), or would longer bolts do the trick?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 AM

I do have another tranny sitting in my garage..before I do anything, Im gonna take a couple bolts from that pan and see if they fix my prob.. I doubt it though, cuz the bolts looked ok...also... what do you think the cahnces of this being my o/d problem are?

Last edited by Team420; 05-22-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

hmmm...so what to do...am I gonna have to tap all of these holes(6 or so), or would longer bolts do the trick?
I'd helicoil them, that way you can use the same bolts.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 AM

yeah..p.i.t.a... I think if I have to do that i'll just swap out the trans, my motor will be here this weekend, so maybe i'll just do both and get it over with
Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

I do have another tranny sitting in my garage..before I do anything, Im gonna take a couple bolts from that pan and see if they fix my prob.. I doubt it though, cuz the bolts looked ok...also... what do you think the cahnces of this being my o/d problem are?
Yeah steel threaded bolts VS aluminum threaded tranny... there is no way the bolt threads were stripped first.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:46 AM

yeah...stupid idea...why didnt they use aluminum bolts...grrr, its not like they have to be all that tight anyway

Quick Reply: Quick a/t solenoid question