Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Question about building my 93 Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about building my 93 Toyota

Ok, I've been saving money for awhile and since its tax time I have a little more now. I'm going to be having roughly 1500+ dollars to drop into my 93 Toyota Pickup 2wd.

I know when I get all my cash together I'm gonna get it looked over and see if its got anything majorly wrong with it. I know one of my 02 sensors is messed up and my radiator has a slow leak but thats all I'm aware of.

I wanted y'alls opinions of what I should spend my money on. I was thinking, some headers and exhaust for one. A throttle body, and maybe an air intake. I want more torque, and more horsepower. I love 22re for its reliability but I dont want to feel so sluggish going up hills, or anywhere really. But at the same time I dont want to do anything that will totally kill my MPG.

Any thoughts? Brands, routes to take? Anything really I just wanted more advice.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 AM

If you want power. or anything noticeable do open up the exhaust. Do a cam.
I mean trying to get power out of a 22re is like trying to ride a donkey to race horses.

Maybe look into a lower geared diff?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Any gears you recommend?

Oh its an automatic so I know I wouldn't be getting as much power as a straight shift

And thats the only thing I dont like about the 22re is no power but I can't complain because it'll run forever if I take care of it!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 AM

Yeah i dont know much about 2wd yotas but i think they came with 3.07 or 3.73 lol i have no idea. But you could just sell it and get a 4x4
Old 02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For that amount of money I would do the whole exhaust. Start with a header, LCE is a good one. Then, I would go with 2.25" pipe to the cat, and also to a nice performance muffler, whatever you like, and the same pipe out the tail.

Depending on if you take it off road or not you might get a K&N. They don't do much and I think they let in too much dirt (which is why I stopped using mine). But, if you're pretty much all street it might help a little in conjunction with the new exhaust.

An Engnbldr cam would also be a big help to power that isn't too pricy.

Make sure your maintenance items like plugs, wires, cap & rotor are in good shape.

If it were me and I wanted to wheel it any, I would disregard all of the above and get a gear set and an ARB locker, which would take most if not all of your cash.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM

I dont really go off road since its a 2wd, occasionally I will take a backroad but not much anymore since I grew out of trying to get sideways and stuff.

I figured a Cam would be good to buy also, and I figured K&N would be the best route to go for an air filter.

I'm just looking to have a nicer ride, and I'm all street really.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Can you find a link to the engnbldr cams? I was looking but it must just be a rough day because I cant find it haha!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Personally, my guiding principle is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. For a vehicle I plan to keep I first make it mechanically sound so it's dependable and I don't break down and get stuck somewhere. Then I make it comfortable so it is a pleasure to drive. This would include things like seats, tires, shocks, steering and suspension. Then appearance, inside and out, so its a pleasure to own and I have something I'm not embarrassed to be seen in. This also goes a long way to help retain the value. If still unsatisfied then I'll consider performance. Keep in mind that a well kept vehicle in stock form will always hold its value better and attract more buyers than a vehicle that's been modified.

A 10% HP gain in a 116 HP engine is only 11.6 HP. That is about the most you can expect to gain so you have to ask yourself is it worth it?

However, if you have a cracked exhaust manifold, and your muffler and tailpipe are shot you may as well throw a header on and open it up, that's what I'm doing because I have both

Last edited by grotto; 02-24-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DCorvin
Can you find a link to the engnbldr cams? I was looking but it must just be a rough day because I cant find it haha!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=engnbldr