Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Puking trans oil out the shifter?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puking trans oil out the shifter?

first off, its a 1987 toyota pickup 22r, Not totally sure what trans.
It is puking oil out the top of the shifter.
I pulled the boot to replace the bushing the other day and there was trans oil all over the ball and coming out the pins, all over under the boot. Its dripping down the sides of the trans from the top.
I have been reading around, on here and it seems like possibly the trans shifter breather/vent is the cause?
I guess I am looking to figure out what else could be causing it.
Seems like it must be the breather but I am not finding a large amount of info about them at all.
I guess I need to know how to clean them, or remove them. If I am wasting my time messing with it. that kinda' stuff.
Shifts fine, runs fine, the only symptom is the small amount of trans oil leaking out the shifter base.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Is the level of oil to high??

Perhaps someone forgot the splash plate when the shifter was out
Then it could just be worn that hard

Be nice to know just what Transmission??
Old 01-30-2015, 12:17 PM

I suppose it could be too high. I got this truck not all that long ago, and I don't have a shop, so I haven't done much research, or digging through it since it would require I lay in muddy gravel.
The guy I got it from had the trans and motor replaced since he had it, which is why I am unsure what trans it is. Also don't really know off the top of my head what the difference between transmissions. I will look up a thread on how too identify them and get back too this thread.
Its a 5 speed likely a g54.

Last edited by Schnayke; 01-30-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:45 PM

Okay so here are some pics of mine. Looks like there is no breather, or a place for one. More lost again. Hope its too much oil. I can check that when I get home. splash plate seems like an easy fix as well. In fact all of the fix's for this seem easy. Just gota' figure which one. I was looking at doing a short throw shifter swap, so maybe I will go for that while I am at it. Now with a bit of investigating the splash plate I am fairly sure mine doesn't have that. When I had the shifter out you could see all the workings inside rather then just the cup for the bushing.
image by Schnayke, on Flickr

Last edited by Schnayke; 01-30-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Wow that has been leaking quite a while.

Your sure it is gear oil??

Not engine oil coming from the back of the engine???

Needs a good cleaning!!

Like I said new Vehicles always take work to catch up the neglected maintenance.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:05 PM

Yeah fairly positive, because it was all over the shifter ball and underside of the shifter boot, as well as I am not losing any engine oil.
Also not leaking anywhere in front of this. Bell is all clean up stream of this.
When I got the truck it didn't have a shifter seat at all. Before I replaced that it was coming out from under the shifter boot. If I have enough light when I get home I may pull the shifter plate off and see what I got going on in there. I suspect there is no oil separator/splash plate. However there may be too much oil as well. I am fairly sure I have the wrench for that plug, like a 23mm right?
A cleaning is something it does need for sure.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
breather may be plugged, out the shifter is the next route for it to take.

i would drain the fluid, might have H20 in it
Old 01-30-2015, 07:14 PM

well after a bit of work i was able to get the plug out so i could check the level. it was about half quart low. where is the breather at? I thought it was on the shifter base. more research too be done.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Mine was doing that, and it turned out the previous mechanic didn't replace the gasket when he pulled the shifter off. I resealed the shifter plate with RTV and it's been dry ever since.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 PM

Mine does this too, G58 trans in a 93 4Runner. I've checked the breather and it was clean and functioning, as far as I could tell. I also replaced the shifter plate gaskets and the oil still puked out from either the rubber boot or the lock collar pins. It isn't a whole lot of oil though, just a slow weep. I also have another leak at the output shaft which dribbles out from between the transmission housing and transfer case.

Maybe my trans is overheating which is causing excessive internal pressure, forcing fluid out anywhere it can go? I just can't figure out why this would be the case. Hopefully your problem is as simple as the shifter base gasket...
Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 PM

Hmm, this discussion is interesting. Roger (4Crawler) suggests epoxying the lock collar pins if they are loose to prevent fluid from leaking around them. I might have to try this.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...3&fpart=1&vc=1

Edit: According to Roger, the W56 transmission didn't come with a breather from the factory. It wouldn't be too hard to install one, though.

Last edited by Hugh_Mann; 01-30-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

interesting, i guess i thought they all had a form of breather near the shift plate.
learned something
Old 01-31-2015, 07:23 AM

I plan too go short throw shifter, I think all those I have seen have a breather. So that would fix that issue.
Well what kind of things cause increased pressure? It shifts and drive through the gears fine, no shake or wobble, or odd noises.

When I was laying under the truck last night I saw a serial number under it and took a pic.

Last edited by Schnayke; 01-31-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:53 AM

Well I am fairly positive I have a G54. However this is not the original trans in this truck (though it may be original model.)
I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out what I have under there.
I was considering getting this short throw shifter set.
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...hifter-kit-g54
Any comments on it? I like this one because it should be easier too install then lce's, and there are not adapter multi-piece parts involved in it.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Okay I think I got it figured out. Looks as though I have a G52 according too this plaque in my trucks engine bay. It looks too be either a G52 or 54. Do you think a G52 marlin crawler short throw shifter kit would work for either trans? I think that part is the same on both, however they sell one specific for each on the site. I am not sure if that is too just make it easier for people too find and buy or if it needs too be the correct one. Sorry for the double bumping of my thread.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Schnayke
Okay I think I got it figured out. Looks as though I have a G52 according too this plaque in my trucks engine bay. It looks too be either a G52 or 54. Do you think a G52 marlin crawler short throw shifter kit would work for either trans? I think that part is the same on both, however they sell one specific for each on the site.
it is hard to say, people sometimes swap whatever transmission they get a good deal on. you are probably safe though.
as far as the Marlin Shifter working for either one, I would send Big_Mike a PM through YT or send them an email. He has been pretty good about getting back to me with questions.

just found this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f225...ssions-261653/
it looks like they have one available for either transmission..
Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 PM

Okay cool, so I gave them a call, and they (marlin crawler) said a G52 kit, will work with the g54 Trans. So for me it doesn't really matter G54 or g52. I will just buy the kit for G52 since that is what my spec plate says on my firewall.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:48 PM

well got it out today it only took about 8 hours! finding a flex socket wasnt possible. two of the 4 bolts where only finger tight. oddly enough the two that are easy too reach. the gaskets where both trashed from the bolts being loose. its all wiped down and replaced now. well thats the update hopfully the last one.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 PM

So the saga continues. It still coming out the top. So I drained it today. Its contaminated with something. Water I suspect. Well hopefully it didn't hurt it too much. With any luck this will fix the issue.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Water contamination usually looks usually looks like a milky substance.

What your pic shows appears to be 'aluminum paint" Your gear oil has mucho suspended metallic debris. Not a particularly good sign.

Sometimes when there is excessive wear, a tranny will run extra hot when operated at continous high speeds: Then, even a few drops of moisture might put pressure into the case that could push some gear oil out.

If I were you, I'd fill the tranny up with diesel, or kerosene, and run it for half hour or so with the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in 3rd or 4th gear. Then drain and refill with your preferred gear oil..

What did the magnet on the drain plug look like??

Last edited by millball; 02-09-2015 at 06:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Puking trans oil out the shifter?