86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

probs. after new headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
probs. after new headgasket

well to start out with my headgasket blew on the way to the paint and body shop. the guy thats painting my truck says he knows a great mechanic that can fix it. so i agreed and i let the guy change it...
now the truck idles wayyy higher than it did and if you try to hold it at a certan rpm it acts crazy espically in nuetral. the rps flucuate pretty bad. it will also skip every now and then... i figure he either didnt get the timing right or missed some vacum lines... the engine is an 86 22r. i havent been able to look at it to much because its being painted thanks for any help
also the through out berring went out in my 95 tacoma so im having to drive an f 150.... ive really came to apprecite a toyota after having to drive a ford for 3 weeks.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 86toyota954x4
well to start out with my headgasket blew on the way to the paint and body shop. the guy thats painting my truck says he knows a great mechanic that can fix it. so i agreed and i let the guy change it...
now the truck idles wayyy higher than it did and if you try to hold it at a certan rpm it acts crazy espically in nuetral. the rps flucuate pretty bad. it will also skip every now and then... i figure he either didnt get the timing right or missed some vacum lines... the engine is an 86 22r. i havent been able to look at it to much because its being painted thanks for any help
also the through out berring went out in my 95 tacoma so im having to drive an f 150.... ive really came to apprecite a toyota after having to drive a ford for 3 weeks.
Well, this should be easy.
After the painting is finished, take it back to the mechanic and have him fix it right.
Simple as......

You shouldn't even have to ask this question.
Why should you have to screw with it ?

Fred
Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 PM

to be honest i dont like the thought of anybody else workin on my trucks bc it always ends up like this. i would have replaced it myself but this time of year is busy for someone who farms. and if its just a vacum line problem it would be alot easier for me to just reconnect them than to drive it back to the mechanics...
Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 86toyota954x4
to be honest i dont like the thought of anybody else workin on my trucks bc it always ends up like this. i would have replaced it myself but this time of year is busy for someone who farms. and if its just a vacum line problem it would be alot easier for me to just reconnect them than to drive it back to the mechanics...
Whatever makes you happy, but it's just silly, to me, to actually pay someone for something and not get it right.

Fred
Old 10-12-2009, 02:45 PM

i agree with fred about making him do it right, but i also agree if it's as simple as a vacuum hose then you're right, it's easier than going out of your way to bring it back.

simple check, first of all, make sure every vacuum hose is plugged in. i'd give you better advice than that if you had a 22re, cuz i just did my head gasket just last week. but since i had about 10-ish vacuum lines going straight to my intake, i'm sure it's quite different than your carb. next simple check, timing is not hard to set. you can get it "close" without even doing it properly. just losing the distributor bolt and move it back and forth while it's running to see if it gets better.

barring either of those don't work (neither of which should take you more than 5 minutes), then screw it, bring it back to the mechanic.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 AM

thanks im hoping its just something simple as the mechanic is a far drive plus me and that guy just didnt see eye to eye...