Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Problems with my newly installed 22re, it hardly runs

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with my newly installed 22re, it hardly runs

My new junkyard 22re has a few problems, theres a few seperate problems I think so I'm trying to figure out anything I did wrong before I take the truck to the junkyard to get anything fixed that was wrong with the engine when I got it.

Engine has problems starting, and when it does start it runs weak and feels like its missing alot and not firing on all cylinders. Coolant is leaking out from under the valve cover, as well as smoke. When it gets warmed up it smokes pretty bad.

Yesterday after running it I took the intake tube off the throttle body and noticed a bunch of water in there:

When it does get warmed up and I try to drive it it'll hardly move, like no faster than 5mph, except for one time it ran faster but felt like one cylinder was dead. When its running slow sometimes when I let off the gas it feels like it spikes for a second and has full power.

Also I have these three plugs and I have no idea where they go or if they're used:

Also, before I blew my last engine the TPS was bad so I unplugged it. Definately regretting it now.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you describe the smoke? White and disappears quickly? Bluish-grey and hangs around a long time? Comes from the valve cover or tailpipe?
Lots of things....
Coolant in the TB is likely coming in through the PCV system.

Sorry, but it sounds like you got a bad engine.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Can you describe the smoke? White and disappears quickly? Bluish-grey and hangs around a long time? Comes from the valve cover or tailpipe?
Lots of things....
Coolant in the TB is likely coming in through the PCV system.

Sorry, but it sounds like you got a bad engine.
White smoke, definately burned coolant. Doesnt come out of the tailpipe, just valve cover. I'm not too worried about it being a bad engine, I just want to make sure I did things right on my side.