Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Problem with 86 carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with 86 carburetor

Hi,
I have a 1986 TOYOTA TRUCK 2WD 4 Cylinder 22 R 2.4L 2BL, and am in the process of rebuilding the carburetor. The problem that I'm having is that the lower baffle on the passenger side won't open. I'm wondering if it suppose to be like that and if not, and if not how do I fix it to open.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have the original Toyota (Aisan) carburetor? Or do you have an aftermarket carb like Weber?

Originally Posted by cherubino
The problem that I'm having is that the lower baffle on the passenger side won't open.
the following is assuming you have the stock carburetor...

You'll need to clarify what you mean when you say "lower baffle".

Here's a diagram of the components of the original carburetor. Let us know what you mean by the baffles statement. This way we are on the same page.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM

It is the original Aisan 35291, according to the diagram it's different. The bottom to run in a different direction than the two in the diagram.It is the largest of the two but it does look like it is the secondary throttle valve. The truck is 100% Japanese made too, if that helps.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 AM

It is the original Aisan 35291, according to the diagram it's different. The bottom to run in a different direction than the two in the diagram.It is the largest of the two but it does look like it is the secondary throttle valve. The truck is 100% Japanese made too, if that helps.
OK, I have to say this, and I'm not trying to be nasty about this but...please use the correct terminology so we can know what you are having troubles with.

You know what your talking about and what you are trying to described but we don't. You have used "it" to describe something about the carburetor, I'm assuming the baffles. While you know what "it" means, we don't.

Remember, this is not something to be rude, it is just neccessary to be able to help you.

It is the largest of the two but it does look like it is the secondary throttle valve.
From this statement I believe what you saying is the secondary throttle valve does not open in the carburetor, off the engine, on the bench? Yes?

If so, that is normal, there is a mechanical linkage on the carburetor that prevents the secondary throttle valve from opening on a cold engine until the temperature sensitive vacuum operated choke pull off fully opens the whole cold start system.

On the bench you would have to rotate that linkage out of the way to allow the secondary throttle valve to open. That restriction linkage is on the same linkage as all the others. It is just a small control arm.

Last edited by slow-mo; 10-23-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 AM

I'm sorry, just not a mechanic, it's the secondary throttle valve in the largest lower barrel of the carburetor. It is the original Aisian 35291. Even though the oration is different on the diagram, I'm sure this is it because the secondary main nozzle is above it.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 AM

I'm sorry, just not a mechanic.
No, that's quite alright. This forum is here to help people, it is just trying to understand the descriptions of the issues.

I myself am not a auto mechanic by trade, but I do wrench on my own vehicles and I'm well familiar with the OEM carb.

Hopefully, what I said previously helps you out.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Ok thanks, that makes since. But it seems that the secondary throttle valve hasn't been open in a while or much since it had a wall of carbon built up on the under side of the barrel. Does it suppose to open regularly when running?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Does it suppose to open regularly when running?
Yes.

The carburetor should be fully functional once the engine coolant reaches operating temperature. That is when the Vacuum Switch Valve (VSV), another Toyota terminology, changes the vacuum routing to completeley remove all the cold start system, i.e. Automatic Choke & Fast Idle Cam.

When the linkage is preventing the secondaries to open, if you were to press the gas pedal to the floor, the carburetor only opens the first barrel. Performance wise it acts gutless. When the linkage is removed (a warm engine), then you will have full 2-barrel performance. Well...as much as a 22R engine can perform anyways.

Unless your choke pull-off is not working. But that's another issue.

Last edited by slow-mo; 10-23-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Thanks a bunch, I'll put it on in the morning.