Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pressure plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Pressure plate

Would their be a problem if i tighten the pressure plate its not to spec just tighten my forks sits flat
Old 11-11-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
It's not clear what you want to tighten.

Please explain more thoroughly.

Pics might help.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by millball
It's not clear what you want to tighten.

Please explain more thoroughly.

Pics might help.
I tighten the pressure plate but i didnt tighten to
spec i just tightend it down are the fork on the pressure
plate suppose to sit flat as shown in pic
Attached Thumbnails Pressure plate-screenshot_20161111-202455.png  
Old 11-11-2016, 08:33 AM

The spring does look a little flat.

The pressure plate bolts need to be torqued to spec in order to insure that they don't come loose, but if you have already tightened them enough to pull the pressure plate down tight to the flywheel,
it's not likely that further tightening will raise the pressure plate spring.

Are you sure that the pressure plate and friction disc are correct for your application??

The friction disc is in there right???
Old 11-11-2016, 08:47 AM

The spring does look a little flat.

The pressure plate bolts need to be torqued to spec in order to insure that they don't come loose, but if you have already tightened them enough to pull the pressure plate down tight to the flywheel,
it's not likely that further tightening will raise the pressure plate spring.

Are you sure that the pressure plate and friction disc are correct for your application??

The friction disc is in there right???
Yes it is made for my applications i even matched up pressure plate at napa friction disc is facing the right way and pressure plate is tight on their..so is my forks supposed to be like that im pretty sure that the plates not going to come loose as they are tight but not to spec just tight
Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 AM

I don't know what to say.

Maybe someone else has something.

Maybe it's OK,, IDK.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Damn if i have to pull trans back to loosen and spec tight te bolts wat a biotch...hope someone can fill in

Last edited by yota671; 11-11-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

In my entire life i can`t recall every torquing pressure plate bolts

The thing is to know they are all even not that two are real tight the rest just snug

You did work around in a circle slowly getting them all tight

Now Flywheel bolts are a different story
Old 11-11-2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9

The thing is to know they are all even not that two are real tight the rest just snug

Yes i patterned the bolts so would u say that its good or
To much this trucks been killing me with the clutch
Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by wyoming9

Curious..." Flywheel bolts are a different story". A little bit different? A lot different? How and why, if you don't mind? Why wouldn't it be important to torque pressure plate bolts, if that's what you're implying?
Old 11-11-2016, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by JJ'89
Curious..." Flywheel bolts are a different story". A little bit different? A lot different? How and why, if you don't mind? Why wouldn't it be important to torque pressure plate bolts, if that's what you're implying?
Im just wondering are the forks suppose to be like that on the pressure plate i didnt touch the flywheel...so are the pressure plate forks right ?
Old 11-11-2016, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by JJ'89

Correct tightness of some bolts is critical because of the catastrophic, often expensive, or dangerous, nature of loosening or failure.

Fasteners for con rods, main bearings, flywheel bolts, head bolts, steering gear, ect.............

Once you are a mechanic with long experience, some things just come naturally, like proper tightness of various sized, less critical, fasteners.

Inexperienced wrench turners should torque every fastener that they can find a torque spec for, til they have good confidence in their judgement and ability.

Some folks never get it.

I just bought a truck where every fastener that was'nt twisted off, was loose.

Last edited by millball; 11-11-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:54 PM

Correct tightness of some bolts is critical because of the catastrophic, often expensive, or dangerous, nature of loosening or failure.

Fasteners for con rods, main bearings, flywheel bolts, head bolts, steering gear, ect.............

Once you are a mechanic with long experience, some things just come naturally, like proper tightness of various sized, less critical, fasteners.

Inexperienced wrench turners should torque every fastener that they can find a torque spec for, til they have good confidence in their judgement and ability.

Some folks never get it.

I just bought a truck where every fastener that was'nt twisted off, was loose.
So is the pressure plate right ?
Old 11-11-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by yota671
So is the pressure plate right ?
I am not sure.

If the tranny is not yet installed, reinstall the old parts and examine the difference, if any.

If tranny is already installed, test clutch for function.

Sorry I can't come to look; Guam is a far piece.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I replaced my clutch a couple of years ago and everything was torqued to spec. I suggest you do the same cause you don't want to have to take everything out again to redo it if something goes wrong. Do it right the first time.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by anndel
I replaced my clutch a couple of years ago and everything was torqued to spec. I suggest you do the same cause you don't want to have to take everything out again to redo it if something goes wrong. Do it right the first time.
Yes i know but dont u think 14 ft lbs is not enough for something thats constantly spinning if its spinning all the time u wouldnt want it to get loose...too late on taking everything out i have done it 3x already its all hooked up trans on front and rear shafts etc..i been googling and i see pics where the plate sits like how mines sitting well i wouldnt know yet untill i try it out got to hook up master and bleed slave
Old 11-12-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
.... Once you are a mechanic with long experience, some things just come naturally, like proper tightness of various sized, less critical, fasteners....
Yeah, yeah. How does that go? "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement." How many times have you seen someone (who claims lots of experience) do something really boneheaded? Experience is a good thing, but I prefer to see it in writing when I can.

Originally Posted by yota671
Yes i know but dont u think 14 ft lbs is not enough for something thats constantly spinning ...
Yeah, what do those egghead engineers in Tokyo know, anyway? Sure, they've designed millions of vehicles that have lasted for a very long time, but I'm sure you'll "improve" matters by tightening your bolts a lot more! Just to be sure!

If THE BOOK says 14 ftlbs (kudos to you for at least looking up the number), that's what you should do. They aren't really hefty bolts; if you over tighten them they will break. Maybe not while you have it out on the bench, but soon, and at the worst time possible.

14 ftlbs isn't a lot; I don't think I could get real close "by feel." That's why I have 3 torque wrenches (1/4", 3/8", 1/2"), so I can hit the small torques as accurately as the big ones. (and, for what it's worth, I have them calibrated.)
Old 11-13-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I give you more credit then that.

I don`t think I saw my Torque wrench since my last engine build years ago see the case quite often.

The thing is if you have doubts until you do what you feel you need to fix the problems they are not going away

Then if your going to torque things new bolts into a new fly wheel
Old 11-16-2016, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to sound rude, but are you able to use the tranny normally? Perhaps you are over thinking this or you are very anal (which can be a good thing when it comes to cars) but can also cause unnecessary headaches. I cannot figure out how overtightening the bolts on the pressure plate could deform the forks, I dont think it is possible at all. Some pressure plates have shaped tips on the end of the fingers and some are flat. There is no way you can deform the fingers IMO. If something wasn't right you would not be getting the truck into gear.

I say forget about it. I also do not use a torque wrench on the majority of the things I repair and unless you really don't have a sense of "tight" and "over tightened" then you should be just fine.

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 11-16-2016 at 03:51 AM.