Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

power window going up really slow

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
power window going up really slow

my drivers side power window goes up and down fine , my passenger side power window goes down fine but when i go to roll it up it goes up really slow till it gets about and inch from the top then picks back up .

does anybody know if i just need to spray a little wd-40 on the regulator and spray some silicone spray on the rubber trim to make it go up at the normal speed? or do i need to replace the motor ? but it does go down fine .
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd try the cheapest trick first. Pull it apart and clean/lube the window tracks. I bet you discover a lot of old harden grease.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, with that said, it could be the power window motor, but doesn't seem like it. Goes down fine (gravity and glass weight helps), but when going up it bogs down, then speeds right up again at the top? What year is your truck? I'm thinking the plastic track, if it has one, is worn out, and if no plastic track, the gear you may have is worn down in the middle section, it would go down fine, but coming up it would slip till it caught a good section again.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by old fart
Well, with that said, it could be the power window motor, but doesn't seem like it. Goes down fine (gravity and glass weight helps), but when going up it bogs down, then speeds right up again at the top? What year is your truck? I'm thinking the plastic track, if it has one, is worn out, and if no plastic track, the gear you may have is worn down in the middle section, it would go down fine, but coming up it would slip till it caught a good section again.
Well I'm gonna try the cheap fix way tomorrow first and see what happens , anybody know what I can use to clean the tracks and gears and what to use to lube them back up ? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, i have the same issue with mine
Old 11-03-2013, 08:25 PM

Well, when your in there see if it has the plastic track or metal gear type. That way, if clean and lube don't work, that's what you need to check next.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
You can use any grease dissolving cleaner to clean the old grease off, but you are going to need to scrape it off if it's hardened. I would grease it back up with whatever grease you can find, won't make a huge difference. While you're in there you can check the resistance on the window motor to make sure it's decent still. Check FSM for spec.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is what I use on my tracks. There are other brands as well.
Name:  SiliconeSpray.jpg
Views: 7705
Size:  34.7 KB
Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 PM

I would check your power window switch and check for corrosion. If corroded i would recommend opening up the switches and cleaning the contacts with the fine grit sand paper. Does the window go up slowly for both switches? If it does then it might not be your switches and i would then suspect the motor.

If i remember correctly when i switched from manual to power windows on my truck im pretty sure i noticed that the door motors are the same as the rear window motor. and if that is the case then you can replace the motor with the same motor off a 86(within that model) toyota Camry with power windows. ***My replacement motor was off an August of 86 Toyota Camry.*** You will want to use the motor from the rear passenger doors because those have been used much less then the front windows. The only difference would be the connector. You would have to clip your old connector off the burnt out motor and solder/shrink wrap, the old connector onto your donor motor.

I'm almost positive they are the same motor dude. But hope you get it all situated with. All i got to say is that if it does go out on you do look into buying it at a junk yard. I only paid $28 for mine with the warrenty. vs paying $120+ for a brand new one. Also look throughout all the camerys in the yard for that model of Camry some motors will be less abused then others.

Good luck man.

Last edited by Redeth005; 11-04-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 PM

Wait, you switched from manual to power windows? I'm officially intrigued.

Sorry for thread jack.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
Wait, you switched from manual to power windows? I'm officially intrigued.

Sorry for thread jack.
I did. Not sure if Clok did. I have my reasons for wanting them. But the main was was that it was always a pain in the arse for me to reach over to roll up the windows. especially when getting an unexpected phone call. It is just more practical for me to have them powered. They work perfectly. I know a lot of people hate on power widnows and usually get rid of them and swap in manual. but yea i like them. So it was worth it for me. Not to mention that i also installed power mirrors because it was on the same harness and door panels(i rebuilt the door panels as well) IT was a big job. and i would never EVER do it again for anybody or any future cars. It's too much of a pain to do. but i dont regret any of it.

Anyway back on subject.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Replaced my rear window motor with 1 out of the driver side rear door 89 Camry. I believe its 86 to 89.... My window was going up extremely slow,... I replaced it and FHEWWWW, that's fast! Lol.

Just recently, I had a little trouble with the wind up going down at all, I began to sputter again... I replaced the switch in the console with one of the donors I have... TOTALLY cleaned it up of all issues.

I've also, for around 10 years, have a problem where I could easily roll the passenger side window up or down on my 87 4 runner using the driver side control.... However, the passenger switch only work tomorrow in the window down, and it would not roll up from that switch. I tried swapping a donor from the yards, it started to smoke! Lol... Took my original just recently to the punch I'm torn apart cleaned all the contacts pride the arms back out and poof, it works like new upper down once again after 10 years of nothing!

I have been through pretty much every circuit and wire going to the tailgate.... , most of the wiring the front passenger door... Wipers, defroster... I gotta say, the stuff does seem to have some common culprits, but upon searching on the web, most of my problems were not the common ones. Pretty much every switching circuit has been cleaned or replaced and is now operating flawlessly. I used silicone lube for my window tracks and eventually replaced both of the rear window glass wipers the insert into the tailgate on either side of the glass. That helped tremendously as the wipers wind up being completely wasted and nothing but metal and dirt filled tracts. Each track was fairly reasonable at the dealer using my 25 percent discount, and they usually try to match the online price a little bit... And both trim pieces also came with all the clips already installed.

While you can't always be sure what is causing the problem, I would be willing to bet if you put a new motor in there or 1 that you can swap that is very little used from my yard from a compatible car... It will start to fly up and down again. I would also clean up your switch console on the driver side. Like Richard said, they can appear to be , on the surface and even looking in closely, pretty much in perfect condition... But that isn't always the case. I'm sure there is some perfectly clean little grandma Corolla or something that is compatible in the yard somewhere that you could swap in for really cheap? It's definitely worth trying all the other free options first... Just saying, sometimes it comes down to those parts are 25 to 30 years old and they've just had it.