86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering pump compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Power Steering pump compatibility

Well after a recent need for another power steering gear box, A question as come up in which I am not sure of the answer to.

I have a 92 Power steering system in my 87 truck. Yes I know not completely plug and play but it's in but the coupler had to get squished to make it work. Anyway..... Looking on autozone's site and some others, they list a different pump with a 92 and an 87 system.

Now my question is if I pick up an 86-88 gear box will it work with the current 92 pump and associated lines? I know you SAS guys are using IFS gear boxes but not sure what you guys are doing about the difference in power steering pumps etc etc. Or is this another thing that is like the idler arms in where the 94's are different then the 87's and completely plug and play?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I won't be much good at this question. Will watch the responses though.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:38 AM

haha this is gonna be one of those questions that I come up with from time to time where noone really knows, I know it.

Or someone will answer why not just grab the whole system from the 86-88 truck. Well I don't need it (yet). haha.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-09-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Just had a thought. Swing by the dealer get them to pull up the pump for the '86, might have been that the older part was replaced by the newer one.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:19 PM

nope, already looked at that on toyotaparts zone. no listing for replaced part.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Now my question is if I pick up an 86-88 gear box will it work with the current 92 pump and associated lines? I know you SAS guys are using IFS gear boxes but not sure what you guys are doing about the difference in power steering pumps etc etc. Or is this another thing that is like the idler arms in where the 94's are different then the 87's and completely plug and play?
The rumor is that the later style has a quicker turning ratio. But other than that, and the obvious difference in appearance, they're very similar. I've never heard that you can't replace one with the other, as in direct bolt-in swap. It's my understanding that the 89-95 box is, therefore, an upgrade over the 86-88(who want's a slower turning ratio? Not me!).

If/when I replace mine(an 88), I intend on getting the 89-95 type.

My question is what's the difference in the pumps, other than fitment, is one different(higher output/stronger/more durable etc.) than the other?

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-09-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:18 PM

hmmm I wonder if this is one reason why my steering wheel was a tad off. It seemed that if I moved the pitman in either direction 1 spline, it would either be cocked the other way or more 90 degrees off. It wasn't like that when I had the manual gearbox in it and I had not touched any of the other disconnects on the shaft other than the rubber coupling to put the new box in.

Should I have maybe kept the rest of the shaft parts "below" the rubber coupler from the old manual steering shaft to the box as well and that's what's causing the misalignment of the steering wheel?

Anyway, so your basically saying stick with the 89-95 box and not worry about getting "the right one" because of the faster steering?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Anyway, so your basically saying stick with the 89-95 box and not worry about getting "the right one" because of the faster steering?

Yes. That's one thing I'm interested in achieving. But more importantly, getting one that's in better condition(as in less slop and not leaking). I'm not sure what else isn't the same between them. I haven't found that stated anywhere that was totally reliable, so I don't know if that's even true. Or what ratio A and ratio B supposedly are(big difference or little difference?). Much less their being directly swappable, though I can't see why they wouldn't be, other than their possibly being incompatible with one of the types of pump. As in if the pumps differ in output PSI wise, and if that makes a significant difference, or not.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-09-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Much less their being directly swappable, though I can't see why they wouldn't be
I know the actual lengths are a bit off and casuses a little bit of extra work to get it in there and squeezing the heck outta the rubber spacer thingy. At least that was on mine. Pretty sure the steering shafts are the same between the power and manual steering, so that's not an issue with my original manu steering.

Originally Posted by MudHippy
other than their possibly being incompatible with one of the types of pump. As in if the pumps differ in output PSI wise, and if that makes a significant difference, or not.
That's exactly why I started this thread and is what I am looking for in addition to the lines being the same.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Well, there are some discrepencies. The oil pressure at idle speed is lower on the earlier pumps. I still can't see how that would matter compatibility wise. You'd just get less/more pressure in the system. Which would mean more/less "power" in your PS. Based on the numbers, it doesn't look like there's likely to be enough difference to worry about there. I'm no PS system expert though so...

From the 88 FSM.

From the 93 FSM.

Plug and Play? But making them work with each other can't be that hard, can it?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:23 AM

I hope not, the one I put in is from a 92, the one I just got is from a 95. :crossingfingers: Seems as though the 89-91 and the 92-95 are different from each other as well.

Thanks man. Picked one up in a yard for $30 and $10 in gas.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:07 PM

The 95 box went in without a hitch. Line locations were identical. But the return line on the 92 I had in there was a nipple type fitting with the hose clamped to it. Where as the 95 one I pulled had a hardline. Seems a little less powerful, but could be some residual air in it still. Gonna have to drive it a bit more and get some more lock to lock turns on it to say for sure. Steering wheel still not straight though. Might have to just take the wheel off to re-center it, or maybe the union on the top of the gear box apart and turn it that way. The union on the top near the firewall isn't gonna move, already tried that when I first converted from the manual steering.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:42 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I recently put a 90-95 style box in my 88 4Runner. Just had to re-center the steering wheel after, no issues at all.

I also replaced the P/S pump about a year ago with one from a 94 pickup (I think). Again, complete drop-in with no problems. I'm not sure if ALL 22re pumps and gearboxes are interchangeable, but that's my experience anyway.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 AM

Rustbucket, how far off was your steering wheel when you put that box in? and how did you recenter it? I'm glad I'm not the only one that has the centering steerting wheel issue upgrading to a newer box.

Also anyone know if there is an actual "center" position of the worm shaft on the box or does it not matter. For example if the box is out and it's happened to have moved left or right, does it matter before the pitman is put back on? I am thinking no since the splines on the pitman are all the same size. If there is how do you "recenter" the box without the pitman on.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-11-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Marks on bottom of pitman arm that go on mark on bottom of steering box shaft that show center. To get box at center count turns of steering wheel and find mark on shaft.

Never noticed anything of difference worth mentioning in swapping IFS boxes. They all use the same fittings for high pressure and low pressure can be barbed and hose clamped on. Custom lines are easily available for me locally or with parts from Summit Racing.

:wabbit2:
Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's supposed to have these lines. My Trailgear pitman arm does not though...
I'll have to get it on there pretty soon, the rest of my power steering/hi-steer items are on their way here
Old 04-11-2011, 05:57 AM

ok thanks guys, will look into it. I did kinda noticed the lines, thought they were lined up, but......... Not sure if the Duralast pitman has the lines or not though. I don't recall the FSM mentioning it. I guess it assumes your putting the same box and pitman back in as it tells you to mark the box and pitman prior to removal IIRC.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could always get out a ruler and mark the pitman arm. I assume it would be marked in the center. I plan on doing that since mine does not have a mark.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:05 AM

I don't know if I am over thinking this or not as I tend to do sometimes, but if the box itself isn't centered, would it cause a pulling issue to one side?

Going off track a little from the original post but...........
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Shouldn't pull, just mean you can turn sharper one way and make smaller donuts.

:wabbit2:

Quick Reply: Power Steering pump compatibility