Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Power steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Power steering problems

I have an interesting problem. I have no power steering when my truck is in park. If I shift the thing into drive the problem goes away and I have steering again. But it is still sluggish. The steering will also improve if I rev the engine just a hair (1k or so) My fluid is full and I have no leaks. The pulley turns freely and the belt is tight. I'm drawing blanks....... It would'nt be a problem if I never wanted to idle over rocks off road. But of course I do.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:52 AM

I have a similar problem. What are you using for fluid? I have had to find out the hard way that you are supposed to use ATF in the power steering instead of power steering fluid, and now I'm pretty sure my pump is shot.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Might also/or be a vacuum issue. Does the engine idle down much when you hit the brake or try to turn hard?

Last edited by thook; 09-29-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:59 AM

I actually have no idea what is in it in the way of fluid. I just bought it. But I do know that you are supposed to use ATF and that the fluid is a red tint (good sign) but it looks mixed. No it does not idle down. I also do not believe it to be a vacuum issue. I just tore down my engine and reworked a head. I replaced any vacuum lines that looked questionable and made sure they were all fastened correctly. If the problem is the type of fluid, would draining the fluid and replacing it help? And if so, where would be the best spot to drain it. And method for that matter.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:29 AM

From the sound of things you need to replace the power steering pump. Had the same problem with my Tacoma with normal fluid level. A brand new pump solved the problem.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:30 PM

My steering gear box is TOAST thanks to me using PSF instead of ATF in the power steering res. I'm about to put on a a new gear box, but should I change out the pump too? How much more work would that be?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by AUYota
My steering gear box is TOAST thanks to me using PSF instead of ATF in the power steering res. I'm about to put on a a new gear box, but should I change out the pump too? How much more work would that be?
Well, I rebuilt my pump and it's a little bit of work going that route. But to just slap a new pump on there wouldn't be half as bad. It'd be about as easy/hard as replacing the gear box. Lot's of messy fluid everywhere either way, fun stuff.

Is the pump leaking? Cause I wouldn't touch it if it isn't, it's probably still good then.

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-29-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:34 PM

My pump isn't leaking.... I flushed and filled my ps pump with the good ole turkey baster method. It seemed to help things out some. What is the idle supposed to be set to? once warmed up my truck idles at 500 rpm. Normal??
Old 09-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by naadomail
My pump isn't leaking.... I flushed and filled my ps pump with the good ole turkey baster method. It seemed to help things out some. What is the idle supposed to be set to? once warmed up my truck idles at 500 rpm. Normal??
I didn't mean yours, sorry. I read the part where you said "no leaks". It should've helped to drain and refill with fresh fluid a little. Your totally sure the vac hoses are all routed where there supposed to go right? Some of them look the same, maybe you have a couple switched up?

And yeah that's too low for idle on the 3VZE(you have the V6 I assume). It should be 800 rpms +/- 50 rpm.

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-29-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:53 PM

ah hah, Yeah the vacuum lines are right I double checked them after that was said. It could just be the idle speed. It only does it when rpms are at idle they ps improves at 800 rpm. Maybe that is the problem.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:55 PM

I don't get it. Power Steering Fluid is not suppose to be used for powering steering, and Automatic Transmission Fluid is what you use to fill the power steering up with?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by naadomail
It could just be the idle speed. It only does it when rpms are at idle they ps improves at 800 rpm. Maybe that is the problem.
I think your right. Mine is real hard to steer when I'm luggin' it below 800 rpm. The 35's don't help that much either.

Originally Posted by corvey
I don't get it. Power Steering Fluid is not suppose to be used for powering steering, and Automatic Transmission Fluid is what you use to fill the power steering up with?
It's a Toyota thing. What's labeled as "Power Steering Fluid" at the auto parts store doesn't meet Toyota's specs. Only Dexron II/III ATF for Toyota auto trannies and power steering pumps. Or Toyota ATF, of course.

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-29-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:40 PM

I believe it's because the ATF is less harsh on the internals and seals. Besides, it's just a better lubricant.

I have read that a good total system flush ....as opposed to just refreshing the reservoir.....can cure the symptoms. But, then it may just be related to your idle.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:32 PM

Glad to know this before I refill my PS pump when I put her back together Thanks for the info!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Upping the idle pretty much cured the problem. I turned the warm idle screw just past a full rotation and it idles at 850-900 (in drive) power steering deluxe. 1000-1100 while in park. Thanks for the help. And glad I started a useful thread

Last edited by naadomail; 09-29-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:24 PM

the pump doesn't leak at all... But the gear box leakes fluid all over the front suspension (is this a good thing or a bad thing for all those bushings?) I was running straight lucas PS stop leak for a while which stopped leaks until it got cold and busted a line
Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 AM

hmmm I didn't know you were supposed to use ATF, I have 172,000 on my pump and all ive ever used is clear power steering fluid, guess im not gonna change it now
Old 09-30-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didnt know that about ATF and PSF. hmmmmm interesting
Old 09-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Well, if you do any reading you'll find that it's not really that big 'a deal in some vehicles. It all just depends materials whatever manufacturer uses in the hydraulic seals and such as to what fluid would be compatible.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by AUYota
the pump doesn't leak at all... But the gear box leakes fluid all over the front suspension (is this a good thing or a bad thing for all those bushings?) I was running straight lucas PS stop leak for a while which stopped leaks until it got cold and busted a line
Bad, because it loosens torqued nuts with much efficiency. Your suspension, not to mention your steering components, have many of these. It also dilutes the grease used to lubricate certain critical joints, called tie-rod ends. You need those to be abundantly lubed at all times.

Originally Posted by thook
Well, if you do any reading you'll find that it's not really that big 'a deal in some vehicles. It all just depends materials whatever manufacturer uses in the hydraulic seals and such as to what fluid would be compatible.
My hypothesis

One should use only PSF or ATF, never both mixed or transmission stop leak in PSF, or power steering stop leak in ATF.

My data

When I purchased my Toyota it had a slightly leaking PS pump. Attempts to solve were as follows:

1. Power steering stop leak. Actually worked for a few months.

2.Flush and refill with ATF. Did nothing to the leak. Same o' situation for the next year or so. Had to fill the reservior every other day.

3.Then decided I didn't care what I put in it, ATF or PSF, cause it was gonna end up on the ground anyway in a few days. UH-OH, bad idea. I went wheeling one time after mixing them. Kerplow! Pulley seal springs massive leak, drive home with no PS.

4.Power steering pump rebuild kit, and get this, fill with PSF only. I've had no issues for nearly 6 months. Works great!

Quick Reply: Power steering problems