86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Possible to pressurize fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Possible to pressurize fuel system

About ready to finish up my HG job on the 94, 3vze. Would there be any issues with pressurizing the fuel system without the upper intake on. I would like to check for leaks prior to putting the upper intake on in the event there are any leaks so that I would not have to remove the upper intake again. Can I leave the injectors electrically disconnected so that none will open and wash the cylinders with fuel or does that not matter.

All of my fuel injector connectors were toast, so I ordered some of the Denso connectors from http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/571
They are a perfect fit for the denso injectors except for one thing, the terminals are just a tad bit different from the stock terminals. The locking slots on the terminals are in a different location than the stock terminals. I thought, or had hoped I could just de-pin the original terminals and insert them in the the new connector but alas I was wrong, so I still have to cut the old terminals off and crimp the new terminals on.

PS the coolant sensor connector(goes on the sensor located on the water block bolted to the back of the lower intake) is in bad shape also and I am having a hard time finding a replacement. I did find a motorcraft one WPT-410 that "looks" like it will fit as it has all the proper slots in the right places and the correct pin arrangment.

I hate to try it mainly because of cost approx 28 dollars and am curious if anyone else knows of a cheaper alternative.

Last edited by Andy A; 08-28-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, you can and should pressurize the fuel system before installing the plenum. You will have to connect the cold start injector hose to the injector in the plenum or fuel will spray out of the hose. You can just place the plenum on the passenger fender area and hook up the hose or remove the injector from the plenum.

Pressurize by jumping the B+ and FP terminals of the check connector and then turning the key to the "on" position, but don't start. You will hear the fuel pump running and the fuel flowing through the system. Any leaks will be apparent.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:22 AM

Thanks, good I asked as I had totally forgot about the cold start injector, and more than likely created a mess.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Good post, bugs! ^^^^^

Originally Posted by Andy A
PS the coolant sensor connector(goes on the sensor located on the water blocked bolted to the back of the lower intake) is in bad shape also and I am having a hard time finding a replacement. I did find a motorcraft one WPT-410 that "looks" like it will fit as it has all the proper slots in the right places and the correct pin arrangment.

I hate to try it mainly because of cost approx 28 dollars and am curious if anyone else knows of a cheaper alternative.
Doesn't get much cheaper than that for a brand new sensor. You could try to find one on the YT marketplace. Someone may be parting out. Just have them test it first.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Good post, bugs! ^^^^^

Doesn't get much cheaper than that for a brand new sensor. You could try to find one on the YT marketplace. Someone may be parting out. Just have them test it first.
Looking for the connector, sensor is okay. The motorcraft connector itself was running approx 28 dollars, ouch. Heck the fuel injector connectors were only 5 buck apiece with terminals and seals.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh, sorry 'bout that. Not sure what to tell you on the connector, man.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
About ready to finish up my HG job on the 94, 3vze. Would there be any issues with pressurizing the fuel system without the upper intake on. I would like to check for leaks prior to putting the upper intake on in the event there are any leaks so that I would not have to remove the upper intake again. Can I leave the injectors electrically disconnected so that none will open and wash the cylinders with fuel or does that not matter.

All of my fuel injector connectors were toast, some I ordered some of the Denso connectors http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/571
They are a perfect fit for the denso injectors except for one thing, the terminals are just a tad bit different from the stock terminals. The locking slots on the terminals are in a different location than the stock terminals. I thought, or had hoped I could just de-pin the originals and insert them in the the new connector but alas I was wrong, so I still have to cut the old terminals off and crimp the new terminals on.

PS the coolant sensor connector(goes on the sensor located on the water block bolted to the back of the lower intake) is in bad shape also and I am having a hard time finding a replacement. I did find a motorcraft one WPT-410 that "looks" like it will fit as it has all the proper slots in the right places and the correct pin arrangment.

When you cut the old connectors off don`t crimp the new connectors on, it will cause to much resistance in the injector circuit. Solder and shrink wrap the connections.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:12 AM

myyota, I got new connectors, terminals, and seals. I opted to go that route instead of with pigtails. Definitely if I was using pigtails I would go the solder/shrinkwrap way. I will be cutting off the terminals that come out of the old connectors, and stripping the end of the wire and then crimping new terminals that will then slide into the new connectors. The right crimping tool is needed. The original toyota terminals are crimped.

If I can swing it I will try and get some pics and write a tutorial on it since the old fuel injector connectors are bad for breaking.

Last edited by Andy A; 08-21-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes..please!!! i love write-ups
Old 08-21-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
some I ordered some of the Denso connectors http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/571
Son of a B! True crimpable connectors! Don't forget to use the correct tool. The "insulated aluminum tube" type of connector you can get from Home Depot (and just about everywhere else) are just crushed on, so the "crimp tool" you correctly use for that connector won't work for your Denso. You need the kind of tool with the "M" shape that folds the two ears down.

And I would give most anything to find "regular" (spade, ring, etc) connectors with the type of crimp on the Densos. As others have pointed out, the "usual" crimpon connectors are not very good. Unfortunately, the "regular" connectors sold by bmotorsports are the not-too-good kind.

Thank for locating these
Old 08-21-2010, 12:10 PM

This is the proper/reasonably priced crimper

I am using one of those, and it makes the right crimps for the wire and seal. B type crimp on the wire and round on the wire insulation and wire seal. There are many more expensive ones but for the home user it will work fine, just have to take your time.

Last edited by Andy A; 08-21-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
yes..please!!! i love write-ups

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...s-3vze-218912/
Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the proper/reasonably priced crimper

I am using one of those, and it makes the right crimps for the wire and seal. B type crimp on the wire and round on the wire insulation and wire seal. There are many more expensive ones but for the home user it will work fine, just have to take your time.
Where did you get that crimper?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by rustypigeon
Where did you get that crimper?
www.bmotorsports.com look under their tool section. The one I used is the micro crimper.