Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Possible Head Gasket replacment project gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Head Gasket replacment project gone wrong?

I recently attempted to replace the head gasket in my 86 22RE. I've never done anything this involved and for various reasons I've only been able to work on this project for an hour or two each week. As I tried to figure out how to remove certain parts I tried to document with pictures or video but would often get called away or have done something wrong and have to back track. The result is that there were a few hoses (vacuum, EGR, PCV, etc) at the end I had no documentation of where they connect.

So first problem: How can I figure this out? I have a Yota factory manual, Haynes, and Chiltons. Between them, there is no real clear mapping of all these hoses in layman's terms.

Second problem: I figured the few hoses left (three I think) couldn't be the end of the world. I might not run optimally but after months of working on this thing I would love to get it running. I tried to fire it up. It starts if I give it gas but will not stay running without a little throttle. I'm thinking the timing might be a bit off but I have little experience with that. Could the timing and hoses be all I need or is there any other troubleshooting I can do?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 PM

Alright, we're setting up and knocking them down.

I tried to use the vac diagrams and I THINK the hoses are all connected. One that I was unsure of is the one coming from the fuel pressure regulator. In all my manuals when it describes removing and installing the "vacuum sensing hose" it never mentions where it connects. I have an 86 and the vac diagrams I have separate the 85-87 22RE and the 88. The 88 shows a device "VSV." I had an extra nipple on this so I assume this is the missing connection.

Tried to fire it up again and got success. Now we have a new problem. It's running but pissing fuel out like crazy. There is a small device under the throttle body that appears to be the culprit. I'm going to try and get in there and get a better look, but I don't remember messing with anything there.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Ok, I got a few shots of the offending part. It appears to be on the end of the fuel delivery pipe. I even got a shot of the underside of it where the fuel is coming out. It seems there is a hole there so I have to assume its some sort of valve designed to bleed off pressure. I guess the question is, why is it releasing fuel? As discussed previously, there was uncertainty about the hose connecting to the valve at the other end of the fuel pipe. Did something go wrong here? I'm hoping someone knows how this is all supposed to behave.
Attached Thumbnails Possible Head Gasket replacment project gone wrong?-img_3789.cropped.jpg   Possible Head Gasket replacment project gone wrong?-img_3782cropped.jpg  
Old 09-05-2010, 12:38 AM

That is your fuel pulsation damper and there are 2 copper spacers that fit between the fuel rail, metal tube and damper. The damper is like a bolt with a hole through it for the fuel to flow through one spacer is near the head of the damper and the other spacer is between the fuel rail and the pipe that the damper goes through then the damper threads into the fuel rail. So what you have is the damper then a spacer then the pipe that the damper inserts to then the other spacer then thread into fuel rail and tighten. No fuel should be leaking out.