Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pitman Arm Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:42 PM
RBK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitman Arm Problems

I just got this 88 4X4 Pickup and it had been shaking real bad when it hit bumps. Anyways, I bit off more than I could chew this weekend. I replaced the Idler Arm which fixed the problem. But for some reason, I decided to do the Pitman Arm too. I got it on, but I didn't know what I was doing and my steering wheel ended up upside down. But the main problem is I don't have hardly any right turning radius. I think the tie rods are hitting down there or something. I don't have anybody to look for me while I'm turning the wheel though. Any advice would be great, but I don't blame ya'll if all I get is "Take it to the shop."

So much for saving some money lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
how about you just turn the wheel till it stops and see what the steering is hitting. All you really have to do is center the steering wheel and put the pitman arm on so that it is pointing straight back.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
RBK

I got my wife to help and confirmed that nothing was touching. The passenger side inner tie rod end is close to the front axle where it stops now, but I think as the wheel continued to turn to the right the outer tie rod end would pull it away from the axle. If that makes any sense.

I've got two full steering wheel rotations to the left and only one full one to the right. My tires are 33x12.5x15, so I can't turn all that sharp anyways.

Also, the pitman arm only goes half-way or 3/4's of the way onto the steering box, but that is how the old one was and that is how it looks in pictures. I think the reason I got off in the first place is because when I was connecting the ball joint of the pitarm I had to turn the wheels to get it to slide in. It fits good now, but it was almost like it was too long. Didn't know if that was the part or the fact that the pitarm didn't go all the way up the shaft. But like I said, that looked normal compared to what I had seen.

Last edited by RBK; 12-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM

Disconnect it again,center your wheel,use a bungee chord or other restraining device to hold the wheel in place in the cab.Then reattech the pitman arm on the same plane as youre idler arm,ie. parallel.Also make sure your tires are pointed forward.Good luck.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:48 PM
RBK

Thanks Roofmaster. Is there some kinda center point or stop in the steering box that is preventing the wheel from turning because it is so offline? I'm mean, if I get the steering wheel centered up it should turn some more right? It's not hitting anything. I was thinking that if I am getting two turns to the left and one to the right I should be getting 1 1/2 either way if it was right. I guess I am just thinking out loud, because I really have no clue. This was supposed to be an easy weekend project and then go hunting. Needless to say, I didn't make it to the woods lol. I just wanted my truck to stop shaking (which it has).

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Edit: Here is what I am thinking to center the steering wheel up- Like I said, it turns two rotations to the left and one to the right. Straight ahead is upside down. So, if I disconnect the Pitman Arm with the wheels straight, I should just have to turn the steering wheel 1/2 turn to the left (which would have it sitting right-side up) and put the Pitman Arm back on. In theory, that would give me 1 1/2 turns each way. Somebody please tell me if that makes sense.

Last edited by RBK; 12-09-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:06 AM

That makes sense bud.Try it,you got nothing to lose.Sounds right to me.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 AM

Last I remember when I replaced mine there were alignment marks on the arm and the shaft.If not you should have made some.If you didnt,worse case scenario is you have to locate the middle revolution on the end of the shaft just like the steering wheel.Ghess they would be the same but personally if I wanted to be thourough I would count em on the steering box as someone turned the wheel.Take your time its just math and angles.When you find the middle revolution on the shaft end attach pitman arm on the same plane as the idler arm.Same angle,same position.ILike I said I think there are alignment marks,look close.If not the middle is the middle.Sorry you missed the hunt in the woods.Im a bowhunter here in the northeast.Just bought my 12 year old granddaughter a Mathews.Take your time,get it done.Just math and angles.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 AM

Oh yeah when I say granddaughter dont mistake me for wrinkly old guy fartin dust in the corner suckin on geritol pops.Im still hunting,and eating.My three sons cant keep up with me.Theyd all die if grocery stores dissappeared.Good luck.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Well homey I just came in from under my truck.Sure enough there were matchmarks on the arm and shaft.Look losely,they are there.All we discussed still applies but you also have those matchmarks to attach the arm where it belongs.Let us know how you make out.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 PM
RBK

Just got home from work. Thanks for all the replies roofmaster. I'm gonna try and go over to my brother's shop in a little bit to work on it.

Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking the time.

In a hurry right now, but let's talk hunting sometime.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 AM

How'd you make out with your pitman arm bro?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:38 AM

It's scary to think that people who do things like this actually go out on the road and endanger others, try gaining a little knowledge before doing the job, not after you screw it up the first time.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat8942
It's scary to think that people who do things like this actually go out on the road and endanger others, try gaining a little knowledge before doing the job, not after you screw it up the first time.
Ya think

Ready. Fire! Aim.

:wabbit2: