Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pinpointing tanny/transfer case leaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinpointing tanny/transfer case leaks

Still trying to pinpoint a few leaks. Once again found some good info on leaks but looking for a good place to start rather than go tearing stuff apart that doesn't need to be.

Now for the transmission and transfer case. I'm pretty sure both my output seals need replaced and have already gotten both seals from the dealership and will be replacing those. However, my main concern is that most of the oil is coming from the top somewhere. Well I think anyway. I did take my shift boot and plate off. I pulled the 4wd lever and plate, put RTV sealant on it and put it back on. Didn't do the 5spd lever though.I know there are some breathers that can get clogged possibly causing the case to leak by way of pushing oil out past the seals. Does anyone know what the little metal caps that rotate but will not come off are that are next to each of the shift levers? They stick straight up and are maybe 1/2 inch in length. By looking at the pics what would be some suggestions be to start with or a good starting point? The transfer case and tranny were just wiped down a few days ago so the oil showing is only a few days old. Is it possible the transfer case seal/sealant may need to be replaced? The previous owner had done it not too long ago but possible that he may have not gotten it right. Thanks everyone for suggestions and your help!
Attached Thumbnails Pinpointing tanny/transfer case leaks-rear-transfer1.jpg   Pinpointing tanny/transfer case leaks-driver-side-tranny1.jpg   Pinpointing tanny/transfer case leaks-passenger-side-above-rear-output.jpg  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Top of my tranny

Here's what it looked like when I took my boot and plate off. The second pic is the nipple I was talking about. Not exactly sure what that is unless it's the breather. There are two of them.
Attached Thumbnails Pinpointing tanny/transfer case leaks-top-tranny2.jpg   Pinpointing tanny/transfer case leaks-imag0710-1-wince-.jpg  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 AM

Can anyone shed some light on this or give me any good ideas of where to start or why there is oil all over? I'm going to replace the rear output seal today and also reseal the plate (not sure what it's called) that the rear output seal flange and speedometer cable go into. I believe that's just sealed with RTV sealant. I know these are not the causes for all of the oil as it's coming from higher up but it's a start. I would also really like to know what the nipple looking thing by the shift lever plates if anyone could tell me. It's loose enough to spin around but crimped so it won't come off. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 PM

First thing to do is make sure the oil is at the proper level,

Spray them down with brake-clean or some other solvent and get them clean, drive it around the block a few times then look at it, by the time everything's coated, it's hard to pinpoint the leak. The little caps you found are indeed breathers.

Make sure the oil slinger is in place under the t-case shifter, they often get left out and will cause a substantial leak. I swapped transmissions in my last truck and the slinger was missing from my case, leaked enough to make a mess and you could smell gear oil in the cab.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Checked oil level and it's all good. I've wiped and sprayed it down a few times but can't really see the top unless I take the boot and plate off which I did and there is quite a bit of oil on top as you seen around the shift levers.

Just what exactly is the oil slinger and where is it exactly? Is it on top under the 5spd manual lever? Thanks
Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by kpnalder1
Checked oil level and it's all good. I've wiped and sprayed it down a few times but can't really see the top unless I take the boot and plate off which I did and there is quite a bit of oil on top as you seen around the shift levers.

Just what exactly is the oil slinger and where is it exactly? Is it on top under the 5spd manual lever? Thanks
Sorry thought I included the link in that reply. It's under the T-case shifter. Then again looking at your pics it would appear you have a v6 truck so you wouldn't have one anyhow.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/hardwar...re/oil-slinger

Popping the shifter out of the transmission and either buying a new gasket from Toyota or running some RTV instead may do the trick too.

Last edited by TrikeKid; 09-30-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 AM

Any luck on tracking down that leak? I'm having the same exact problem! I'm hoping it is just a bad seal at the shifters.