86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

pics of newly installed 2" body lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pics of newly installed 2" body lift

Last week a buddy and I installed a 2" body lift kit from Performance Accessories. I am going to install sliders within the next couple weeks, so I wanted to get a body lift on there before I weld the sliders on. I figure the lift will allow me to position the sliders a bit higher, and in addition I'll be able to easily clear 33s in the future.

The lift wasn't too difficult to install. It took us about half a day. Putting in the pucks and bolts was super easy. It was all the additional changes that took a while. these changes included...

- extending the steering column
- changing the fuel filler hose to the longer one provided in the kit
- dropping the radiator and fan
- raising the front bumper. this one was really tough, but that's because of a fender bender with the previous owner. it would have been really easy otherwise
- modify the transfer case shifter. After the lift, it didn't want to go into 4LO. So I cut the metal plate and bent the shifter. But now as it sits, the transfer case shifter gets in the way in 2H when I go into reverse. I'll just need to make some more adjustments

here are the pics

before

and after

so far I've been pretty pleased with the kit. I know that a lot of people prefer the 4crawler kit. To be honest, I would as well. The only reason I went with the PA kit was because I wouldn't have been able to get the 4crawler kit in time. I did, however, use 4crawler's installation instructions since the PA instructions are almost useless. Nevertheless, the PA kit seemed to be a solid kit. Like I mentioned above, the toughest part came in the modifications you have to make because of the extra 2''. I'm sure the 1" would be much easier since it does not require these. IMO, if I were to do it again I would probably go with the 1". It has yet to see any dirt with the body lift. I'll repost after I've trail tested it too.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How did you extend your steering shaft?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
How did you extend your steering shaft?
Drilled out the plastic pins, which then allowed me to extend and collapse the shaft. So I then extended it two inches. I pretty much followed 4crawler's instructions exactly. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...#SteeringShaft
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the clutch flex line pretty taught now? How bout the brake lines that go up, over and behind the engine on the firewall. Have to touch them at all? Those are all things I had to finesse with mine
Old 06-30-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
Is the clutch flex line pretty taught now? How bout the brake lines that go up, over and behind the engine on the firewall. Have to touch them at all? Those are all things I had to finesse with mine
forgot to mention both of those. My buddy who was helping me took are of those, so they slipped my mind.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good! It's amazed me, when I put my 1" BL on, to see how much it actually lifted my truck, and it's even more amazing how 2 inches makes so much of a difference! what kind of slier are you thinking about getting?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 94Runner4x4
looks good! It's amazed me, when I put my 1" BL on, to see how much it actually lifted my truck, and it's even more amazing how 2 inches makes so much of a difference! what kind of slier are you thinking about getting?
I have the Trail Gear sliders. I've started the prep work on them. If my welding friend has time, they should be on by this weekend.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 PM

Looks good. What light bar are you running up front?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 854x4
Looks good. What light bar are you running up front?
not sure exactly what kind of bar that is. It was on the truck already when I got it and doesn't have anything indicating its brand.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like a downey bar to me..

Lookin' good! I had the same problem with my shifter hitting the t-case shifter in reverse and 2wd. We bent my shifter Up and to the Left just a tad, it was enough to clear. I have full range of the shifters.

Also you might want to consider "flipping" the shifter boots for added clearance..
Old 07-01-2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Looks like a downey bar to me..

Lookin' good! I had the same problem with my shifter hitting the t-case shifter in reverse and 2wd. We bent my shifter Up and to the Left just a tad, it was enough to clear. I have full range of the shifters.

Also you might want to consider "flipping" the shifter boots for added clearance..
Which shifter did you bend? Its the t-case shifter that's giving me issues. So far I've bent the shifter, cut the plate, and inverted the boot. The only problem is how I mentioned that the t-case shifter gets in the way when I am in reverse in 2H. I'm wondering if I should now bend the 5-speed shifter a tad. It would only require a bit of adjustment. Right now I am able to hit all gears fine when I have the t-case shifter knob removed. When it's on, it just barely gets in the way.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
We bent the transmission shifter. But i was thinking it might be better to bend the t-case shifter. The little bends in the tranny shifter really changes the location of the shifter up top (does that make sence?). 5th is a little close to my stereo now, but its worse because the deck angles out when its on.

If you were to bend your t-case shifter a little to the right, it should be A-ok. Or you can do what I did She shifts like a truck now, I love it!

Hehe, I remember when we were jacking the truck up so we could get the blocks in, it looked so much bigger! Now I want more
Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 AM

What did you have to do with the clutch and brake lines? And how hard was it to bend your shifter?