Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Picked up an 86 truck with an 83 diesel motor in it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up an 86 truck with an 83 diesel motor in it.

So I just picked up 86 truck, it has a 83 Toyota diesel motor in it. It has a 3 inch body lift already installed which I am not a huge fan of, but I am a bit nervous of trying to remove it and snapping all the bolts in the process.

Couple issues.

1. The steering box is leaking from the shaft seal. Looks like a fairly easy fix. Just pull the seal and replace, does anyone know the seal number? I plan on pulling the seal with the hopes I can find some sort of part number on it.

2. The frame is rusted quite badly on the passenger wheel well. Right by the body mount and spring hanger, is this quite common? Is it repairable? Can I just drop the fuel tank and have some plate welded in place to strengthen it?

3. There is also something leaking under the drivers side, it looks like power steering/brake fluid but I cant seem to find the source just yet.

4. Front brake pads and rotors are done. Just took a quick look but do the hubs have to come off to replace the rotors?

5. It needs tires awfully bad.

I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow. But in the mean time any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I will keep this thread updated with my progress as I go along.

-Shawn
Old 10-24-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
1)Better off just finding another steering box from the boneyard.
They run ATF, not PS Fluid..

2)No answer on the frame.
But if it were me, i'd weld a big plate that runs part of the length of the frame, then some bands made of 1/8th on top and bottom of the frame for good measure.

3)Check your master cylinder/slave cylinder. Theres brake lines galore in those areas.
No brake lines or fuel lines run along the drivers side frame rail.

4) Yes, i believe you have to remove the hubs to take off the rotors, but it's actually a fairly simple job.

5)Can't help ya on the tires.
I'd keep the bodylift and go for some bigger tires for pure ground clearance if this is a wheeling rig.
Might check the hood to aircleaner clearance on the engine. There may be a reason the body lift is there.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 PM

1-So replaced the seal in power steering pump, 8 bucks and no more leak

2-Haven't dealt with the frame yet, but from doing a little reading it seems like welding a plate on the inside of the frame and along the bottom seems to be a common fix. Maybe not ideal, but I don't intend to put it through any serious abuse so it should do the trick.

3-After fixing the pump leak I degreased and cleaned the underside and let the truck idle for 15 minutes or so and couldn't see any leaks anywhere, going to have to keep an eye on this one.

4-Got the brakes done, not a terribly difficult job, somewhat time consuming, had to replace the calipers as well, one was leaking and other was seized. Also repacked the wheel bearings while I had it apart.

5-Picked up some 265/70R15, quite a bit bigger then the tiny 215's that were on it, still don't know how well the will fill out the 4 inch lift but I really don't want to go any larger, poor little motor doesn't have a lot behind it, runs like a champ though.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
On the pump.
DO NOT
i repeat DO NOT
use power steering fluid.
If you did, drain it now.
Or forever lose your gearbox to mass leakage.
These trucks use ATF.

Might request to post this in the 86-95 section.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
moved to correct section.

if you have issues with the diesel check this forum: http://toyotadiesel.com/
Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 AM

Thanks for the link!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
On the pump.
DO NOT
i repeat DO NOT
use power steering fluid.
If you did, drain it now.
Or forever lose your gearbox to mass leakage.
These trucks use ATF.

Might request to post this in the 86-95 section.
Thanks for the heads up, I read that in your earlier post and looked into it. Manual called for ATF and that's what I used. Probably would have used PS fluid though if you hadn't said something.