86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Peeved @ SAS project

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Peeved @ SAS project

Hope you guys don't mind a rant. I peiced together a SAS kit using different venders each having a quality I liked better than another. For reasons of overall objectives, expereinces, and personal likes. So I have a narrow window of time to get this project done. I'll got a carreer related school to attend in Nov, there's the holidays, snow to enjoy, and in the beginning of the year a year long business trip that is scheduled for the first of Feb but its subject to change earilier/ later/ or never ( the nature of my job.).

I ordered from Trailgear, boom e-mail confirmation w/ tracking number same day, order arrived 3 days later. Marlin order appeared three days later no confirmation or tracking. Allpro I call them eight days later and they say delivery tomorrow, bigger items take longer but geez. Front Range I call 8 days later and get it may go out today or tomorrow, Brian told me at order that all peices are in stock and will ship then. 8 days later he says they weren't all in stock after all.

I'd have felt better knowing sooner to expect a delay. I do understand that smaller companies don't carry the same inventories as large. Bryan is hella smart. I just wish he communicated better especially since his product cost $50 dollars more than the next guy. I don't want any freebies or discounts just simply to be informed of my purchase statis.

So an A++ to Trailgear. I thank you for you products and customer service.

Thanks for the soapbox to rant from.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my expirence with allpro is that they seem to take forever unless you order their sas kit but tg is definately a good company when it comes to customer service
Old 10-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree, I emailed trail-gear a few times when I was ordering polly bushings and new bolts. They emailed me back right away (though not always all the info I needed though..).

Marlin's customer service/shipping needs a little work, I wasnt to overly impressed with it. Their product is second to none though.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah my orders from marlin took a looong time. ive never dealt with tg or allpro tho. x2 on marlin's product their stuff is by far the best ive had!
edit: oh yeah and lets see some pics of the sas!

Last edited by algranger; 10-15-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My MC gear got here 3 days early, not complaining though. The only problem I had was lack of directions but then bumpers should be no brainers.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:15 PM

sorry to interupt the thread. but i want to start one( a thread) on my project and dont know how.
my two cents i have ordered from trail gear and marlin no problems. except that trail gear sent me 4 banger springs when i ordered the HD springs for my v6. and two 12'' shocks and two 14'' shocks when i asked for all four shocks to be 14'' 5150's
Old 10-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
....Well did they rectify it?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM

Its been almost three weeks and i still dont have rear shocks. i got my springs two weeks after complaining. and i drove on the ones they gave me cause i did this swap in one weekend and this is my only rig. I have not had to pay shipping or anything for using the wrong springs.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
....Well did they rectify it?
Don't know how they can rectify it. Time is time, so might wind up sitting on my SAS stuff for awhile. We'll see though. Just don't want to spend all my time wrenching my truck. If I start it I want it fully set up by the time I leave, no bugs to work out. Really do want to enjoy the holidays and family. Could pay some one else to do it but where's the fun in that. Yeah it chaffe's my ass, I explained it to the two venders, I'm still waiting on parts from, they both assured me it wouldn't be a problem. My work schedule is crazy, I've had a lot of time off recently the weathers turning. I do have assess to a full shop but their hours and mine don't always mesh. Such is life and no one is dead over it so it'll be alright.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by swapped89
sorry to interupt the thread. but i want to start one( a thread) on my project and dont know how.
my two cents i have ordered from trail gear and marlin no problems. except that trail gear sent me 4 banger springs when i ordered the HD springs for my v6. and two 12'' shocks and two 14'' shocks when i asked for all four shocks to be 14'' 5150's

No worries and not an interrupt, to start a new thread: go to the forumn you want. Click the new thread button that's just above the current topic window. Welcome to YT
Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 PM

Got part of my Allpro order today and nothing from Front Range Offroad, tried calling but it may have been to late in the day.

Todays just been one of those days that really makes ya appreciate the days when everything goes right
Old 10-16-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All the kits are pretty much the same Trail gear was fast cause they order in huge bulk so they stock pile the stuff unlike some of the smaller companies. Ive dealt with all and have had some issues but all turn out good for me in the end aside from LCE and there crap.

I would say you should have ordered all from one place. like I said pretty much al the exact same stuff. its like gas (95% comes from the same place yet 5% is the different things added to make it "different") Even then its multiple packages and the carrie can easily also be put to blame. I know from experience working for a few including Brown!

Sorry about the delays I know the feeling. Its ruff somtimes only being able to order and have things shipped. Takes time can cost an arm and a leg and can be wrong thus creating more issue. I feel your pain and anger and hope all gets sorted out quickly for ya!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Whens the actual deadline BTW??? its a quick swap with all the right tools let me know if you need some help im not to far from Tacoma!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Whens the actual deadline BTW??? its a quick swap with all the right tools let me know if you need some help im not to far from Tacoma!
Thanks for the offer might take you up on it. Deadline is foggy I leave in Feb actual date is not nailled down yet. With many things also involved and things to do between now and then.

Yeah your 100% trailgear would have been the quicker and cheaper solution. But what can I say I wanted to do it my way.

Will start building the axle though got all the parts for it, got access to a press, may need a bearing puller/splitter (pinion), measuring tools should be availible. Also got the clean up the axle housing, remove old steering braces and add new armor, mounts, and braces.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Get all your parts in hand, then plan a time to build, otherwise you will always seem to be chasing down a deadline. I have built several trucks of my own in various ways and even the best laid plans are for nil sometimes as "it happens".

Old 10-17-2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Get all your parts in hand, then plan a time to build, otherwise you will always seem to be chasing down a deadline. I have built several trucks of my own in various ways and even the best laid plans are for nil sometimes as "it happens".

Yeah you can say that again. Just got off the phone with Allpro, seems that the reason I didn't get all of my order delivered like Pepe said was becuase some of it never shipped. As I said I understand delays but can't stand being lied to. This is my last order with Allpro. I'd feel so different if I would have been told to expect delays up front, but I was told "everything is in stock and will ship." Then I call 8 days and am told "it'll be delivered tomorrom" and now I am told by Terry that some was never even shipped at all and to call back Mon. He also recommends emailing John (Allpro owner).
Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 PM

I now got all the peices from all the different venders. FROR stuff got here on the 21st and Allpro's came in not a minute before the 23rd. I don't think I'll ever ever order from Allpro again. They wanted to make it right by sending me a company hat, WTF why would I advertise for them.

and the most retarded thing I've done lately is recommend their springs on another post, what was I thinking.

So the SAS will go on the back burner, I'm working nights now with a carport that don't float well with the neighbors. Oh well, I'll replace the CV shaft and rock the IFS for a little longer.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I feel your pain...I got an 85 ext cab torn apart now for almost a year and haven't touched it in 8 months...it just whimpers when I walk by it.

Prep work is the hard part...SAS is the easy part.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
x2..... sounds like we got the fixin's for a wrenching party!!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
x2..... sounds like we got the fixin's for a wrenching party!!
Thanks guys, most all the peices are sitting here. Any one ever build a 3rd? I've checked out gearinstall.com ( one of those builds is in the rear of my truck now) just lack many of the tools.