Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

peculiar rebuilt 22re issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
peculiar rebuilt 22re issue

I have searched and searched found some good suggestions but I am now at what seems to be a dead end.

So i dove into my 22re to do the timing chain and look at the valves, because a piece of the metal guide broke off and wound up at the stopping the engine in between the crank gear and timing chain. After torn apart I found that the shop that did the hg and timing chain 20000 miles ago had reversed the crank gear. The toothed side of the gear was against the block. This resulted in the timing chain at an angle as I could see how it wore into the tensioner and stressed the driver side guide into breaking.

I put all new timing components including cover, oil pump, water pump. Pulled the head and only the #1 intake valve was bent. It was barely bent at all, barely a hairline crack of light could get through and not even a scratch on the piston. Internals looked very good. So I cleaned everything up lapped a new valve in and put it back together. Almost every external part to help the engine run was cleaned, or bought new and replaced. Every bolt I could get a torque wrench on is within fsm torque specs. I dropped the oil pan and throughly cleaned it out nothing from the crank in the pan and crank itself looked very good.

Ran very strong before chain broke didnt burn or leak anything consistent 20 mpg between a mix of city and highway driving. Regularly drove from va to fl.

I am currently trying to work out this issue. She will start on the first crank, rev to typical cold start rpm (1500-1700) and abruptly die. She starts and runs strong with the fuel pump jumped but surges at 2000 rpm when steady throttle is applied to about 1800 and back up to 2000. As well as intermittent engine speed changes.

I am getting only code 41(tps) but I checked resistance with an ohm meter per 4crawlers specs and it checks out. The ecm does recognize it is there because when I pull the connection engine speed rises and stays constant at 3000 rpm and then drops back down toward idle speed when i reconnect it. AFM also checks out per 4crawlers specs. All vacuum lines are correctly connected and no leaks that I can hear or carb cleaner brings up. Truck had no wiring issues before this so I would think all relays are good.

So should I replace TPS? Even though it ohms within spec? Or is there something else I am missing that someone can shed some light on? Sorry for the long post but I am ready to pay someone to get her right again. Thanks
-Nate
Old 10-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh sorry 94 4runner with a 22re and a 5spd