Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Part Number and/or proper name for P/S drive pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part Number and/or proper name for P/S drive pulley?

Greetings All!

Thanks to your super helpful experiences and writeups, I've gotten my 90 22re 4x4 almost road ready after a year in storage! I was in the process of completing a front main oil seal replacement, when my ps belt kept flying off. I scratched my head for a minute before realizing that the PO(S) who claimed to be a Toyota mechanic was running the PS off the AC pulley. I am not sure how he got it to stay on that way, because when I did the replacement the belt either flew or twisted itself up.

Short end of it, I am desperately trying to find that extra pulley which bolts onto the existing 2 pulleys with 4 bolts, and I can't seem to find the correct name or part number to search for.

Any help wise ones?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:07 PM

FOUND, of course thanks to another thread here:

http://www.wwwe.yotatech.com/f116/po...r-22re-106530/

And the specific part info, for anyone else who might need it:

13477 PULLEY, CRANKSHAFT, NO.2 13477-38010 1992.02-1995.01

EDIT: At this point, it seems this piece goes by "No. 2 Crankshaft Pulley," Accessory Pulley, PS Drive Pulley, Lower PS Pulley, Outer Crank Pulley... nonetheless, I can't seem to find it at O'Reilly or Autozone... I hope I can get a ride to pick n pull tomorrow!

Last edited by mindsore; 04-14-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I found the Video after I had done mine. Below the video is how I did it.
Youtube video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_pfgleiiE

My Power Steering Pulley is a little noisey so thought I would show how to replace the bearing. I used PN# 204-FF.

Then I removed the nut and the pulley. On the backside there is a wire clip that holds the bearing to the pulley. Remove it,
then I used a 3/4 inch socket and drove it out over a vice.

I put a little oil in side the pulley and used the vice and slowly worked it back in most of the way. Once it is flush with
the pulley I used another socket to finish getting it all the way in so as the wire clip would seat.

Here it is all cleaned and painted. The bearing was $22. Toyota wants to sell the whole assembly. I was unable to
find just the pulley. Hope this helps someone.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Since you have the part number, finding an internet source is not too hard:
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...477-38010.html

$72 is probably enough to justify a trip to a salvage yard. But keep that price in mind if you end up having to drive to the next burg just to look.

Terrys87: good writeup (lousy camera). But I'm pretty sure mindsore is looking for the pulley on the crankshaft, not the idler pulley.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 AM

@Terrys87: This is a really nice how-to, but as scope103 noted, not the same pulley I had in mind.

@scope103: yikes! yes... let's hope pick n pull comes through today. I haven't checked the dealership (for anything, ever), but I've heard some people mention that 22re parts are usually pretty affordable as far as stealership parts pricing goes... that's plan B.

It's a shot in the dark, but since I'm here... if there's anyone in the neighborhood with this pulley on hand, send me a PM, please.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I misunderstood. Those pulleys around here usually go for $50 out of the boneyards here if you can find one. $72 isnt such a bad price for it being new and being from the dealer, but seems like when I priced one at the dealership it was higher then that.

The idler pulley, they sell as one piece is exepensive, thats how I came up with the above solution. My camera is baddd.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:26 PM

No worries Terrys87!

So the saga is (hopefully) over (for now). Pick N Pull had the third pulley for like $13. Since I was in a hurry I didn't get the proper measurements for the pulley, and found two that looked like they might be it, but were very different sizes. Turned out the one I thought was probably wrong (from a mid 80's model) was the proper fit. So I have a $13 credit to burn on some bumper mounts next time I'm there.

The crappy part, and if you're a newb like me, heed this warning:

Watch out for that woodruff key!!!!!!
I had no idea what this even was yesterday, installed my old crank pulleys (which I sleeved from the felpro gasket kit) WITHOUT IT. Today while pulling it to install the third pulley, I flip it over, and the sleeve is toast... the shaft itself is looking like it's been threaded.

I should have just taken the whole set I found at the yard (but I don't even know what condition its shaft was in since I wasn't paying attention). So ultimately, I forked out $120 for a whole new harmonic balancer at stupid OReillys next door to my crib, and was careful to make sure to seat that key this time!

You really DON'T have to take any other parts off the engine (intake hose, fan shroud) than your skid plate, but I think I may have small hands and I'm hella lazy. However, if you have to bump start to get the crank bolt off, you should at least do your shroud and fan.

Also, bump start FTW with that crank bolt. Although as stated above you should probably remove your fan first, since I nicked a fat chip in one of my blades. I had a momentary freak out when I wasn't able to tighten the bolt back down to 116lbs without spinning the crank. I forgot to put it in gear. D'oh!

All in all, what should have been about a $30 job just to do my front main seal and belts became a $175 job that included replacing my harmonic balancer, adding a pulley that I never had, learning a whole bunch about my ride, and building some much needed confidence for future projects!

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by mindsore
... a $175 job that included ..., learning a whole bunch about my ride, and building some much needed confidence for future projects!
Money well spent.