Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

parking brake parts diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parking brake parts diagram?

My parking brake cable just snapped, and the handle inside the cab came right out of the dash (it's sitting on the floor now).

Does anyone have a link for a blowup diagram of the parking brake assembly so I can see if it's fixable or if I should just get an entire assembly off a junker?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

look under the dash to see if the cable/barrel is the culprit. next spot is the pivot point under the passenger seat area of the frame. most likely a front cable assy, not too expensive but a pita if you have to work outside in the cold!

lee
Old 02-21-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by leebee
look under the dash to see if the cable/barrel is the culprit. next spot is the pivot point under the passenger seat area of the frame. most likely a front cable assy, not too expensive but a pita if you have to work outside in the cold!

lee
It's broken at the pivot on the frame rail. I just want to see how the assembly in the cab is put together so I know whether it's worth fixing.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

there are two clips on top of the trans on the firewall that you have to open to remove the old cable. right under the dash where the p/brake handle is located, on the top of the rod is located a pawl that you have to release for the handle to be able to retract to get at the barrel end of the cable.

take a look in one of the links at the top of the page of the fsm. it should detail the r&r sufficiently, hope you have small hands or a b/l as it is pretty tight between the top of the trans and firewall. i would rate it a 2 banana job, more time consuming than difficult. there are some sharp edges so take your time.

lee

ps

while you have things apart, shoot some lube into the cable housings, lube all the pivot points and you might as well check the rear brakes for proper adjustment. kind of crappy weather to do it in unless you have a garage! good luck, keep us posted.

lee

Last edited by leebee; 02-22-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine snapped a few months ago. I have yet to order the new cable, but I'm in the same situation. Waiting for warmer weather to install and buy another one.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 02-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine snapped right where the cable meets the little aluminum end (like on a bicycle brake cable) Anyways, the cable wasn't offered aftermarket anywhere (dealer only) so I went to the pic a part & simply cut the end off of a cable & picked up some cable clamps. Then put it back together. It works fine now. I would have gotten the entire cable from the pic a part but I saw that the various years & models had different mounting brackets at the backing plates.

Just an idea.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by turborich
Mine snapped right where the cable meets the little aluminum end (like on a bicycle brake cable) Anyways, the cable wasn't offered aftermarket anywhere (dealer only) so I went to the pic a part & simply cut the end off of a cable & picked up some cable clamps. Then put it back together. It works fine now. I would have gotten the entire cable from the pic a part but I saw that the various years & models had different mounting brackets at the backing plates.

Just an idea.
That's a good idea - I've got some cable clamps kicking around and it's broken pretty cleanly. Thanks.

Is there anything that prevents the handle from coming completely out of the housing if the cable isn't attached? The diagram shows the handle inside the housing :/

Last edited by isaac338; 02-22-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turborich

Just an idea.
Does sound like a good idea, though I'd still feel safer (personally) replacing the cable entirely. This cable has lasted this truck 20+ years, I'm sure a replacement cable will do just as good. Though, who knows, maybe your replacement idea might make it last 30 years. You can only try and find out.