Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ooops... Slung a rod. What motor should i go with.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ooops... Slung a rod. What motor should i go with.

Yup, I slung a rod.

I drive/drove (lol) a 1993 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Hi-Lux with the 3.0 v6, manual tranny.

The other day, I got in my truck and it was making a horrible knocking noise! It was bad, well not at first. I had to drive it like forty miles that day, and it was unbearable. I felt so bad for my truck. Anyways, the knocking just got worst.

So I called up my mechanic, and he confirmed what i thought was wrong, I had done went and slung a rod.

Little info on the motor though. It has 230,000+ miles on it, and even it slung a rod, it still has ALL its power, or least it feels like it does. My dad and I were the only ones who drove, and I will admit, I did drive it like a bat out of hell. He drove it like an old person. No offense to any old people out there.

So currently I have no transportation, but thats okay, because next week is the last day of school. In November, I'm going to basic training in the NAVY. I got accepted into the Nuclear Propulsion Program, big money and stuff.

Ok, then.

My question is this, what would be the best thing to put back into my baby?

So far, my contenders are: Another 3vze (v6), The 22-re, The 1uzfe (this is what I'm really wanting), The 5vz-fe (3.4), The 2GR-FSE, or anything else y'all can think of. But note, if it's not Toyota/ Lexus made, don't even put it up here, lol.

And if anyone knows the link to the 1uzfe swap on here, please post it. The one with the 4runner.

Last edited by g.king; 05-16-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I vote the 1uzfe , you will probably get more votes for the 3.4 but Just do the 1uzfe.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is always the ubiquitous 3.4 swap.

Your engine actually broke a rod and felt like it had 100% power? That's amazing.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another 3vze would probably be the easiest and cheapest. 5vz-fe would be the next in line. 22re would take some fabbing and switching a lot of stuff and it would be less rewarding. a 1uzfe has been done only a few times, AFAIK. At least documented.

I vote 5vz-fe (3.4L)

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 05-15-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 PM

1uz would be pretty awesome but considerably more work than a 5vz. But if you've got the time and the skills why the hell not go for the 1uz
Old 05-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
4th gen 3.8L firebird motor...
then supercharge it...
Old 05-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Although that breaks the rules, why just get a 3.8 SC pullout, then?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 PM

late 80's 4.3

but if you HAVE to keep it toyota, go with something turbo

Last edited by mattaway; 05-15-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Cummins?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g.king
So I called up my mechanic, and he confirmed what i thought was wrong, I
So currently I have no transportation, but thats okay, because next week is the last day of school. In November, I'm going to basic training in the NAVY. I got accepted into the Nuclear Propulsion Program, big money and stuff.

Ok, then.

My question is this, what would be the best thing to put back into my baby?

Be different put one of those Nuclear Propulsion devices you are working on in there. I'm sure Plutonium-239 is cheap these days.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tragic Drive
Be different put one of those Nuclear Propulsion devices you are working on in there. I'm sure Plutonium-239 is cheap these days.
Lol, I'll work on trying to get a small reactor built in.

Fabricating and money won't really be the problem, I'll have the money, and any kind of tools or fab shop will be on base.

But yeah, I wanna keep Toyota made in my truck. Doesn't seem like a real Toyota without a real Toyota motor in it, you know. I guess I'm weird like that.

Anyways, what's the main difference between the 1uzfe and the 5vz-fe? Torque and Horsepower and what-not.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:41 PM

make it nuclear powered.....

3.4 or 4.3
Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

2GZ-FE!!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
There is always the ubiquitous 3.4 swap.

Your engine actually broke a rod and felt like it had 100% power? That's amazing.

I think he means a bearing?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
I think he means a bearing?
Nope, he assured me it as a rod. I asked him why I would still have power like i do. He said because it wasn't completely broke or something. We trust him, and we go to church with him. He's been our mechanic for years. He told me it wouldn't be long before it would be totally out of commission. Oh well.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:51 PM

Nope, he assured me it as a rod. I asked him why I would still have power like i do. He said because it wasn't completely broke or something. We trust him, and we go to church with him. He's been our mechanic for years. He told me it wouldn't be long before it would be totally out of commission. Oh well.

A rod bearing? I don't think you have a broken rod. The only way to tell if you had a "partially" broken rod is to drop the oil pan. If you had a completely broken rod it would be quite obvious with a hole in the side of the block spraying oil everywhere. I'm not sure what going to church has to do with it, but I'm pretty sure you have a bad bearing and not a broken rod, but without taking the oil pan off it's pretty much impossible to know for sure.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 PM

Nahh, all i was saying bout the church thing is how i know my mechanic and how i know he aint bs'ing me.

I thought it was a bearing or a valve spring. He assured me it wasn't.

Oh well, the motor's dead for now.

Anyways, I was looking up that 2gz-fe (aka 2gr-fe). 3.5 v-6. That thing, when its modded, has been dyno'ed at putting out around 800 Horses!!! http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=467852

Last edited by g.king; 05-15-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:59 PM

Nope, he assured me it as a rod. I asked him why I would still have power like i do. He said because it wasn't completely broke or something. We trust him, and we go to church with him.
Just my opinion, but I don't think you should trust him. You obviously didn't "break" a rod; you likely just spun a rod bearing. That is why there isn't a gaping hole in the side of your block and/or oil pan.

Anyway, some other options that came to mind are a 3S-GTE and 7M-GTE.

Last edited by Dirt Driver; 05-15-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Nahh, all i was saying bout the church thing is how i know my mechanic and how i know he aint bs'ing me.

I thought it was a bearing or a valve spring. He assured me it wasn't.

Oh well, the motor's dead for now.
I'm not saying he's lieing to you or anything, I just think there is some confusion there because you most likely wouldn't really notice a "slightly broken" rod and the only way to tell if you even had one is to drop the pan and visually inspect them. Not to mention how extremely rare a "partially broken" rod is on a ~150hp Toyota motor(unless it was hydrolocked?). A "totally" broken rod would be very obvious and you would definitely have a lack of power. A bad rod bearing or main bearing would give you a nasty knock sound and you would have very low or no oil pressure at all which would be VERY common on a high mileage motor.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
I'm not saying he's lieing to you or anything, I just think there is some confusion there because you most likely wouldn't really notice a "slightly broken" rod and the only way to tell if you even had one is to drop the pan and visually inspect them. Not to mention how extremely rare a "partially broken" rod is on a ~150hp Toyota motor(unless it was hydrolocked?). A "totally" broken rod would be very obvious and you would definitely have a lack of power. A bad rod bearing or main bearing would give you a nasty knock sound and you would have very low or no oil pressure at all which would be VERY common on a high mileage motor.
Those are the symptoms of mine, those of the bad bearing and all. If that is, how much/ how hard would it be to fix it?

I'm still gonna do a swap though. lol

Anyways, whats hydrolocked?

Quick Reply: Ooops... Slung a rod. What motor should i go with.