Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Only starts when it wants to...

Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now it starts but... still code 25

Hello all this is my first post, so please have patience. I got a 92 4runner just a couple of months ago and shortly after I bought it, a starting problem reared its ugly head. For a while it would start, but not every time I tried. Sometimes it would start with the first turn of the key and sometimes the ninth, but it always started eventually. Tonight it would not start at all. When it doesn't start it makes no noise at all, no turning no nothing. As soon as the starter kicks in it catches and goes. It has no problems running after it is started. Brand new battery and starter. Check engine light is on and reading a code 25, running lean. Just replaced the o2 sensor but it did not fix the problem. It apparently has an old alarm in that no longer works, not sure if this could create an electrical problem with this symptom. I am running out of money and need this thing to start everytime. I tried to give all potentially helpful info, I will post again if I think of anything else that may be relevant. Please help!!!

3/3/09 Ok I am editing this post cuz maybe somebody will find my past issues with my 92 4runner helpful in figuring out my latest symptom....
I have resolved the starting issue and have not had any more trouble with that. However, the code 25 is still a problem. I found a vacuum leak and replaced the line, that worked for about 3 or 4 days then the check engine light came back on but it seemed to run ok. Flash to two months later. Now the truck is hesitating a little when I hit the gas, especially right after the first time it starts each day. What happens is it seems to idle fine for a minute then I push the gas and the idle almost dies and the truck seems to hesitate before getting moving again. Wondering what some possible causes for this could be and where I should start looking for the problem. Thank you for any suggestions you might be able to give me.

Last edited by jess+92runner; 03-05-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: New symptoms for code 25
Old 12-28-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when it acts up and won't start on the first click, try to manually activate the starter with a jumper from 12v to the small terminal on the starter. if it kicks over, it may be the starter relay or an issue with your ignition switch.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:12 AM

ok thank you I will try that today.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 AM

ok, so we had an intermittant no start condition with no power. The problem was at the frame on the pass side, in between the fender-well, kinda behind the tire.. The bolt was not tightened to the ground on the frame? As for system lean. Did you check your vacuum lines.

Make sure your battery terminal are tight so you have a good ground. We would have to have someone wiggle the wire til ground wire with someone turning the key over to get it to start. If it is loose or corroded. you might try cleaning up that connection a bit.

Mouse, Phoenix Tuning
Old 12-29-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
for my bmw fuel injected inline 6, a hard to start is usually a

1. cold start injector
2. leaky injectors/ or seals/ pintles
3. gound is not connected (check all wires for corrosion)
4....hmm...i will read the book tomarrow for more possibilities.

hope that helps
Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 PM

not that I am that smart at all; but I know that if you put an alarm on your vehicle, if you do not disable that alarm, it will not start, turn over , click at all.
I would make sure that all parts of the old alarm are gone, first.
There are all kinds of ways to put alarms in, and how they work, or if they do a start/kill type thing; but every standard type alarm I have ever had put in one of my cars, if the alarm was not disabled by the remote first, the car would do absolutely nothing, when you put the key in, and turned it.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
coil/ignitor was my issue!! would crank all day and not fire
Old 12-30-2008, 10:54 AM

Starting issue has been resolved, thank you all.

I do have a messed up vaccum line and will try to replace that today, hopefully this will resolve my lean issue.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For future reference, what did you find was the problem?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:52 AM

Well it was my starter itself that was acting up, sence we replaced it, it has started fine every time. But to be perfectly honest, it was my own idiocy that made it quit entirely. I just bought the thing and didn't think to check the little electronic key under the dash that is a safety feature. If it is moved the truck won't start. I must have unwittingly bumped it, and didn't rember it even existed until a day after I had already started to panic and replaced the starter. Dumb right? But the preexisting condition with the starter giving me trouble was fixed with putting in a new starter. -----So embarassing-----
Working on resolvong the lean issue now.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 AM

I bet it was the starter contacts and not the whole starter. I decided to replace my starter contacts because it was $30 instead of over $200 for a Toyota starter. Search for STARTER CONTACT REPLACEMENT here or look at my write up on Ultimate Yota.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 AM

I bet it was the starter contacts and not the whole starter
thats what my problem was, i work at a shop so we took my starter out compared it with a new one they both seemed to work the same, i think we even put the new one in and it didnt work. it turned out the small wire going to the solinoid was way corroded and wasnt making contact.

cleaned them up, put the old starter back in and off i went. never had a prob after that
Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 PM

I edited my first post here because I am experiencing some new symptoms I think may be related to the code 25 I am getting. Please give me some direction for pinpointing the problem!!??!!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 PM

*bump*

Any suggestions?? Just wondering where to start looking for the source of this stalling problem. My amature logic teels me it has to do with the fuel delivery, but I am hoping for some input from some people who are a little more familiar with their yotas.