Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

One-Piece Tundra Conversion

Old 05-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One-Piece Tundra Conversion

Wondering if anyone's done this to their 84-89. Been thinking about stuff to do to the ST2 once I get it back. Whether I'll take the cab completely off and go f-toy or whatever, or chop the top and dove the front pretty far in.

And then I saw this nice fiberglass one-piece at hannemann:

So I got to thinking that'd be pretty cool and unique with my tube/flat bed I have already, and it would replace the messed up quarters and hood, and I'd still be chopping off the cab at the pillars level with the doors, and do a tube cab off my main hoop / rollbar on the tube bed.

Then I'd do half doors to get rid of the body damage on that, and so I'd be able to open and close them. Then some kind of exo over the one-piece front, with pins on the back and some kind of hinge at the front, so I could disconnect the pins and pivot the whole front exo and one-piece forward to access the engine.

What do you think? It's easier to imagine when you look at this pic:

Old 05-02-2009, 09:33 PM

Something like this for demonstration purposes.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thought #1, who's the girl in the avatar? (Better not be your lil sis)
And #2, I think it would look terrible compared to the original or tubing, and I usually don't like tubing for a cab at all, so there you have it.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
Thought #1, who's the girl in the avatar? (Better not be your lil sis)

And #2, I think it would look terrible compared to the original or tubing, and I usually don't like tubing for a cab at all, so there you have it.
1.) Nah, just a friend. And just how do you know I have a little sister? Lol

2.) So you're pro dove, nay tube cab. And also negative on the tundra conversion?

I've liked the idea of a tube cab since I saw this one a couple weeks ago:

Though mine would be a little bit higher since I've already got the rear hoop integrated into my tube bed, so it's there to stay.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
1.) Nah, just a friend. And just how do you know I have a little sister? Lol

2.) So you're pro dove, nay tube cab. And also negative on the tundra conversion?
1.) Hmmm, interesting...and I read about how you were teaching her how to drive standard on the new taco.

2.)I say tube cab, then you might be able to keep doors and fenders, and have some tube doors made...then again if you did that may as well ditch the fenders since it'd look funky.

And definitely a nay from me as far as the tundra conversion.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 PM

And on a side note, I've always hated my bench seat with a passion that's almost holy. Been looking at seats from Jas Products, and this one in particular:

Definitely not bad for less than $80 per, or $150 with the cover.

Last edited by SwampThing; 05-02-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:08 PM

1.) Hmmm, interesting...and I read about how you were teaching her how to drive standard on the new taco.

2.)I say tube cab, then you might be able to keep doors and fenders, and have some tube doors made...then again if you did that may as well ditch the fenders since it'd look funky.

And definitely a nay from me as far as the tundra conversion.
1.) Ah. Well I can assure you that isn't my sister lol. Way too messed up for me to even contemplate. I'm in Texas, not Arkansas (no offense wab. but then again you were born here!)

2.) I see. We'll see as far as the conversion goes. I'm still 50/50. As far as the doors go, they won't open or close as it is because the top portions are bent to hell along with the roof. I MIGHT be able to make them into half doors and get them to work. Making tube doors isn't a problem, easily done, I've just never quite liked the look of them (though when wheeling the visibility is amazing). And for the fenders and hood... They're pretty fubar'd. Doubt I'll be able to salvage much out of them. Which is why I'd be doving it, to get rid of most of the bad sheeeeet.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 PM

I don't like your photochop, Swampy. I do like the tube top on that POS datsun. Make yours more like that, ditch the doors, go half or tube. And exnay on the Tundra conversion.....
Old 05-02-2009, 11:16 PM

1.) Ah. Well I can assure you that isn't my sister lol. Way too messed up for me to even contemplate. I'm in Texas, not Arkansas (no offense wab. but then again you were born here!)
Lmao, I know, I'm in your city come on. So, you say tube doors are no problem eh? Do you have a tube bender? Because if so I will exchange labor for use of said tool.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice set up hips there Swampthing, I guess the reconstructive surgery on your leg went reeeaaaal well
Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 AM

I bet the conversion is pretty pricey when you factor in the cost of the lights.
Where was the beach pic taken? I'm moving to TX in about a month or so and I'll be looking for stuff to do.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

I like that. in fact i like that so much i am going to get that for my 4runner seeing as i need new fenders and hood.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Considering you DESTROY vehicles for fun, spending money on sheet metal or fiberglass seems like a Titanic expenditure.

Cut the top of the crunched cab off, build a tubed cab/exo and go try to kill it some more.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 AM

cut the frames out of the doors, fenders, and hood and mount them to tube frames. it will look half stock at least and when it gets completely trashed just take it off and put some new sheet metal on.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
I don't like your photochop, Swampy. I do like the tube top on that POS datsun. Make yours more like that, ditch the doors, go half or tube. And exnay on the Tundra conversion.....
Come on now, that was pretty good for a 5 minute throw together. But yeah, I've liked the idea of a tube top since I saw that datsun (which I dunno if you could call pos, having linked tons 40s duals and whatnot lol)

Lmao, I know, I'm in your city come on. So, you say tube doors are no problem eh? Do you have a tube bender? Because if so I will exchange labor for use of said tool.
Oh yeah. Failed to notice the SA. I don't but my buddy's shop (Americana Offroad. They're in the back of Autogroup @ 281 and Brook Hollow. It's the dealership with all the ferraris lambos lotus and bentleys.) has all the tube benders welders frame lifts and stuff that I use. Swing by and talk to John Munoz and tell him Clint sent you.

Originally Posted by Matt16
Nice set up hips there Swampthing, I guess the reconstructive surgery on your leg went reeeaaaal well
Hahaha. That was a good zinger.

Originally Posted by Whitey13
I bet the conversion is pretty pricey when you factor in the cost of the lights.
Where was the beach pic taken? I'm moving to TX in about a month or so and I'll be looking for stuff to do.
That's down in Port Aransus. There's a long stretch of beaches to run if water and sand are your thing. Port A, Port Lavaca, Rock Port, Galveston, ect. Not South Padre though, they don't let you drive on the beach. But it is one of the top 5 places in the world for spring break. Or if you're moving around kingsville area, just make friends with the Kings or Kleberg and have access to a lot of land the size of rhode island including beach territory and whatnot.

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
I like that. in fact i like that so much i am going to get that for my 4runner seeing as i need new fenders and hood.
Yeah, I'd like to see more trucks with this conversion...

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Considering you DESTROY vehicles for fun, spending money on sheet metal or fiberglass seems like a Titanic expenditure.

Cut the top of the crunched cab off, build a tubed cab/exo and go try to kill it some more.

Very true. Touche
Old 05-08-2009, 04:56 AM

Finally some good news. The insurance ball is finally starting to roll. Think USAA is gonna man up and take care of business. Gonna be going down to corpus to pick it up next Saturday, so I'm hella excited about that. Now I just gotta get some concrete ideas together for what I want to do... Feel free to throw out suggestions and pics you think would be a good idea.

Uhg... And I can just imagine how rusted poor swampy's gonna be... She's been sitting up there at the coast for two months now in the same condition that I left her in, never having even washed the sand off. And lordy I hope it cranks right up, though it did stay upside down for about 30 minutes... What kinda damage can happen after leaving that motor untouched for two months after having it rolled? I means besides having oil coating the walls (which would probably have all drained back down by now right?).

And anyone know anything about those seats? Real reason I like those kind is because there's no padding material to soak up water (cause I'm reasonably sure there's gonna be no top or windows in the front or sides). Thinking I'll just build tube doors and scrap the half doors idea. Probably be a hell of a lot easier than trying to save the doors... Now I need ideas for narrowing the front.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM

I'll tell you unless you've got some cush, they'll make some pressure points after a while. I've slept in them though, they're pretty comforatable.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 PM

Sweet. Yeah the seat covers aint that much more. Wonder how padded they are...