Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

which ome kit for a 90 4wd pickup

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
which ome kit for a 90 4wd pickup

Hi,
I'm looking at getting the complete ome kit for my 90 pickup.
http://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-em...ta-pickup.html

I've seen a lot of people arguing about going MD or HD. And while I sometimes carry building materials in it I was wondering which one to get. And I do get on trails a couple times a months... which makes me wonder even more. My current suspension (stock) has some miles on it and does go pretty low when loaded. I read stories where the HD does sit pretty high when not loaded, and while we can crank it down a bit to keep the truck level I have no idea how it'll behave once loaded.

Also, I was thinking of going with the complete deluxe kit. I've seen a couple videos of the install (the rear at least) and the guy did some welding and had to use some shims of the shaft angle. He didn't get the complete kit AFAIK so I'm wondering if this is required when getting the complete kit?

thanks
Old 06-19-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Complete kit is not really necessary. I have most of an OME kit on my 93 -- medium duty leafs, 4 shocks, steering stabilizer, bushings, ubolts, etc. Skipped the tbars and shackles. Resulting height was 22.5" in the rear from center axle to fender lip (broken In height) Front got tbar adjustment only for height.

I usually haul a few times a year with a load around 1500lbs. Truck does drop ia little in rear but nowhere near what it was before. I don't think I would be happy with HD leafs when trucks empty. Been thinking of putting longer shackle in to get an inch more height and get some rake (can't lower front due to tire size) - tire barely kisses rear fender on trails with weight in back and full stuff (also have no bump stops)

Because I wanted to wheel my truck I've also done these too but not necessary upgrades: ubolt flip kit with triangulated rear shocks (requires welding), remove IFS swaybar for more front flex, add IFS truss. Truck rides great on and off-road.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
Complete kit is not really necessary. I have most of an OME kit on my 93 -- medium duty leafs, 4 shocks, steering stabilizer, bushings, ubolts, etc. Skipped the tbars and shackles. Resulting height was 22.5" in the rear from center axle to fender lip (broken In height) Front got tbar adjustment only for height.

I usually haul a few times a year with a load around 1500lbs. Truck does drop ia little in rear but nowhere near what it was before. I don't think I would be happy with HD leafs when trucks empty. Been thinking of putting longer shackle in to get an inch more height and get some rake (can't lower front due to tire size) - tire barely kisses rear fender on trails with weight in back and full stuff (also have no bump stops)

Because I wanted to wheel my truck I've also done these too but not necessary upgrades: ubolt flip kit with triangulated rear shocks (requires welding), remove IFS swaybar for more front flex, add IFS truss. Truck rides great on and off-road.
thank you that helps a lot. I was a little worried about going with the HD.

The "complete" kit per rocky-road (bottom of that page): http://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-em...ta-pickup.html they list pretty much all you got: Deluxe OME Suspension:
Includes F&R springs, F&R Shocks, F&R bushings, Steering dampener, Greaseable shackles, Greaseable Pins, Ubolts

Actually the only difference compared to what you listed are the shackles/pins. Did you reuse the stock ones?
Old 06-22-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
weird that the t-bars aren't part of the deluxe kit....otherwise, what about the front??? may want to inquire with them on that one. i got all my stuff through trdparts4u and didn't know about rocky-road back then.

yes, I reused my stock 3.5" shackles which have welded pins on them. most aftermarket shackles start at like 5" long, so i didn't want them just in case the lift was going to be too much....and it was in the beginning before the leafs broke in, glad i kept stock. now that it's been a few years and has settled after lots of loads, and because I increased tire size, i think i could use a 5-5.5" shackle to gain some height in back. 6" might be too much for me unless I raise the front a tad.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:59 PM

Yeah I should give them a call
Old 06-24-2015, 08:14 AM

Rocky-Road confirmed that the torsion bars are included in the complete kits.