Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK this may OR may not be my transmission what do you think

I have a link to my post please read it and I appreciate any advice I can get
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...st-161666-new/
Old 12-24-2008, 06:26 PM

hiya mate, try changing the tranny oil, you will need around 5litres of dexron3 or better to do a drain and refill, i had tranny probs similar to yours recently, turned out the fluid was minging (rusty brown colour) as water managed to get in to it via the breather on top of the autobox (ball ache to extend)
drop the oil and check its viscosity if its like water or a nasty dark browny colour defo change immidiatly,
a dry fill takes around 7.6litres but to do that you would need to flush your tranny out a few times to make sure the crap oil is defo gone.
my tranny was banging and squaking like mad aswell an mine is now cured
Old 12-24-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd get an inexpensive stethoscope (Auto Zone, O'Reilly, etc.) and try to locate the origin of the noise. Noises travel and can have you looking everywhere but where it's coming from.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the input... and I'll buy the stethoscope tomorrow and let you folks know where the grinding/vibrating maybe coming from....I have changed the tranny fluids and didn't find any metal chunks on the magnets just gear dust so I'm thinking maybe a bad bearing in that area or t.c. but don't really know for sure yet but my issue is getting worse so soon I'll find out one way or the other
Old 02-21-2009, 03:31 PM

update....2/21/09
I went to my co workers home.... he has a garage and a lot more years of experience than I have working on mechanical things and we did a lot of trouble shooting to try and locate my vibration and here is what we have found

It appears to have a bad motor mount on the drivers side and looks like the motor is not sitting in the position it should it may be shifted 1/2"?.The motor mount top metal piece that covers the rubber has slid down towards the engine block if that makes any sense.The rubber and metal still look attached to each other but were not sure at this point.We have taken a regular long flat head screw driver and put it in between the metal top mount cover and the steel flange to the frame... and with little effort move the whole drivers side of the motor up and down... and he said "that's not normal and I think you have a bad mount"
My friend thinks that all my vibrations I feel through the floor boards,center console,shifter,drivers side wheel & rim,front bumper and movement of the shifter may be caused from this mount being bad...and I think he is correct.I know there is no guarantee but I feel confident that he is on the right track and I will be purchasing a motor mount soon.The passenger side mount appears to be in good shape but my friend said that I may have to replace that one also but not sure because there is not as much movement like the drivers side

I and my friend really don't know if the vibrations I feel while driving... accelerating and decelerating and when the O.D. is off will go away when I replace that mount but we are hoping so..I'll keep all posted as to the results.....I just don't know why the shops I took the 4runner to couldn't locate a bad motor mount.....and why I couldn't see it was bad stupid is as stupid does.....
Dwayne